Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue is we have had years of poor use of the draft (except the last 2 years). We have had years of not drafting star midfeilders. This might be controversial, but with a great offer (2 top 10 picks, 1 in top 5) I would trade King out.

The issue is we have had years of poor use of the draft (except the last 2 years). We have had years of not drafting star midfeilders. This might be controversial, but with a great offer (2 top 10 picks, 1 in top 5) I would trade King out.
Not happening.

Any currency we get will come from the top of the list.

Hopefully a big off-season coming up for him.
100%.

Steele was rocked when the boss told him to shed weight.

That’s an example of the preparation required under RTB. It’s extreme and designed to get everything out of an individual.

This summer it will all be about execution and Gameplan. Because the expectation will be every player is back in optimal condition.

That’s the benefit of having the coach in place before pre season. Unlike last year.

what exactly are you backing in, the system and professional training standards doesn't seem to be working surely that tells you it's a talent shortage, I know Ross knows that too.
How many coaches out there have us 9-8 or better with everything that has happened this season?

If you can’t name more than a handful. It’s clearly working.

Watched a bit of Carlton. Acres is playing good footy these days from that. You can't believe we traded him out and the rest for Hill, he would add more than Hill and he's got years left. Hill is over 30 and looks like he's losing his skills. Once the run goes he's going to be unplayable. We replaced that generation with limited GOPs and paid to do it. Amazing. Thanks Lethers.
Acres hasn't been playing good footy for Carlton at all.
He's a really ordinary unit who picks and chooses when he goes and doesn't look when he kicks.
There's a thousand posts on this thread alone complaining about the players we've still got like that.

How many coaches out there have us 9-8 or better with everything that has happened this season?

If you can’t name more than a handful. It’s clearly working.
I get it, you love Ross, you think he's a magician, I'm happy for you, but I'll ask you a question, how many coahes have won a flag with anything less than a minimum of 25 highly talented players on their list conditioned to be standing in the final minutes of a GF.

A coach is as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle if he doesn't have said 25 players, you only have to look at Ross's performance at Freo, he just din't get the players he needed to play his brand of footy, and he was there 7 years with a win percentage of 33% in the final 4 years.

But don't get me wrong, I'm a massive Ross fan, he's a brilliant coach with the right players, but at the moment the team is playing a worse brand of football and look as disinterested as ever including under Ratts and Richo.

yeah but not all of them will have a list capable of a dynasty, or at the very least one flag.

there's difference, and then there is difference.

you won't learn this stuff at university
Oh boy you do dribble on

Sharman won’t get picked again delisted at the end of the year

I will walk down Bourke st nude

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We love a good saviour down at St.Kilda, Ross seems to be the next one in line.
Not the saviour at all.

He is the bloke who can get houses in order and people working and performing in élite environments.

Which is what the club needs.

Top 500 companies go through periods like this. Bring in a proven CEO to bring the necessary change.

Oh boy you do dribble on

Sharman won’t get picked again delisted at the end of the year

I will walk down Bourke st nude

you can't get the thought of me nude out of your head can you?

go on, admit it

It's ok, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Although I'm a little hairy, especially around the arse region, I've been told I could get a gig with the Australian Male review.

I get it, you love Ross, you think he's a magician, I'm happy for you, but I'll ask you a question, how many coahes have won a flag with anything less than a minimum of 25 highly talented players on their list conditioned to be standing in the final minutes of a GF.

A coach is as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle if he doesn't have said 25 players, you only have to look at Ross's performance at Freo, he just din't get the players he needed to play his brand of footy, and he was there 7 years with a win percentage of 33% in the final 4 years.

But don't get me wrong, I'm a massive Ross fan, he's a brilliant coach with the right players, but at the moment the team is playing a worse brand of football and look as disinterested as ever including under Ratts and Richo.
What do you think he is doing?

If he was chasing wins don’t you think Campbell would have played by now? More of Cordy. Membrey would have been playing. Highmore at half back etc.

He is playing kids who he thinks will be here going forward that can contribute in September.

Not the saviour at all.

He is the bloke who can get houses in order and people working and performing in élite environments.

Which is what the club needs.

Top 500 companies go through periods like this. Bring in a proven CEO to bring the necessary change.
yeah even top 500 companies need talent

We love a good saviour down at St.Kilda, Ross seems to be the next one in line.
I don't like Lyon a a bloke but he has an excellent record of implementing a minimum standard of performance. Something this club hasn't had since he left.
We've stepped into the field unprepared twice in eighteen matches this season. Both interstate. I doubt there's many clubs that could say that this year.
We've been a chance to win every game bar those two matches in the last quarter.
Yesterday was terrible but one good addition to each of the three lines would improve us no end.
Given injuries and inconsistency of some of the key players at the club its not a terrible season if taken in context. Not great though either.
I'll give the first fully funded football department in quality facilities since 1965 more than 18 weeks before writing the whole thing off.

I am really not fussed about the rest of the year, already looking to next. The writing has been on the wall for some time IMO. The Adelaide game was a real wake up call, and the Hawks debacle confirmed it. We are not good enough.

Moving forward, happy to see Gresh, Billings, Ross, Membrey etc shipped out. Also don't care if Clark goes, had plenty of time to prove he is better than average and that he wants it.

Need to keep Marshall, Steele and Crouch to have some quality senior players. Club can't realistically announce a full rebuild.

Go in next year with a committment to play the kids, no chance of finals. Lets see who can take the next step. Windy, Hammer and Pou should be better. Owens and NAS already on the way. Last chance for Coffield in my book, but have not given up hope.

The worst thing to happen would be if we keep putting games into underperforming senior blokes like Ross, Gresh etc only to finish low to mid table again. I am confident at least that doesn't happen.

Last edited:
I am really not fussed about the rest of the year, already looking to next. The writing has been on the wall for some time IMO. The Adelaide game was a real wake up call, and the Hawks debacle confirmed it. We are not good enough.

Moving forward, happy to see Gresh, Billings, Ross, Membrey etc shipped out. Also don't care if Clark goes, had plenty of time to prove he is better than average and that he wants it.

Need to keep Marshall, Steele and Crouch to have some quality senior players. Club can't realistically announce a full rebuild.

Go in next year with a committment to play the kids, no change of finals. Lets see who can take the next step. Windy, Hammer and Pou should be better. Owens and NAS already on the way. Last chance for Coffield in my book, but have not given up hope.

The worst thing to happen would be if we keep putting games into underperforming senior blokes like Ross, Gresh etc only to finish low to mid table again. I am confident at least that doesn't happen.
I would add to this by saying it might genuinely be best if we capitulate the rest of the year now. The ladder is so tight, we could easily finish as low as 14th. Do we really want to win 1 extra game and finish 9th or 10th?

That would probably gloss over things too much. Let's rip the bandaid off and admit we are miles off being a finals side, get a high draft pick and get rid of some of these older plonkers who have been clogging up the list for years.

If we could get somebody to take Hill off our hands would be happy for the club to pay part of his contract. Would be a nice fit somewhere like the Blues.

I would add to this by saying it might genuinely be best if we capitulate the rest of the year now. The ladder is so tight, we could easily finish as low as 14th. Do we really want to win 1 extra game and finish 9th or 10th?

That would probably gloss over things too much. Let's rip the bandaid off and admit we are miles off being a finals side, get a high draft pick and get rid of some of these older plonkers who have been clogging up the list for years.

If we could get somebody to take Hill off our hands would be happy for the club to pay part of his contract. Would be a nice fit somewhere like the Blues.

Somehow, I don't think we'll be the ones deciding if we want to win a game or not...

“We have 5 in our front half with under 25 games.

2 in our back half. We are blooding for the future”

Like alot of people have been saying the fwd line is punching well above its weight.

The experienced guys there in Higgins and butler have had a very good year. I think it's butler best year of his career.

We are getting very important games into someone like phillipou. Like we did nas last year.

Nas last month has been absolutely phenomenal.

We just need the midfield to start coming along.

Somehow, I don't think we'll be the ones deciding if we want to win a game or not...
Without the club saying it openly. I would find it hard to believe they thought we were a genuine finals chance this year.

I know from the handful of times I spoke to Ross. He thought there was a lot of work that needed to be done to get the club up to scratch.

I would say the start of the season created an expectation that wasn’t accurate to the list we had.

There are players right now who would be getting games who will be gone. There is a reason we are blooding so many kids and there are reasons why Bytel Highmore Campbell aren’t getting games.

What people need to start understanding- this isn’t a make or break season. This is year 1 of 4. This is where Ross works out what he has in his zoo. Look what he has said:

“"I've seen it for a long period of time now the same guys making the same errors, so we've just got to improve our craft.

"I just feel when our top flights aren't really going, there's not enough quality to step up and take the load off them, as harsh as that might be."

Lyon did credit the development of young players Marcus Windhager and Mitch Owens, while also saying the workload on Anthony Caminiti and Matteas Phillipou – who was subbed out against the Suns – had caught up with them.

If we had appointed a first year coach. Everyone would be fine with what’s happening. Everyone would think he needs to build his list - but look at what he has done with the youth. People have raised their expectations of Ross because it’s Ross. It isn’t fair.

Let the man cook.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back