Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

The directive isn’t that from the coaches.

Not once have I been too training and that’s been the directive.

That is a by product of poorly talented footballers ******* up. A lack of your personnel playing and a really ******* inexperienced forward line playing together - who aren’t physically or mentally ready to lead the line for a full year.
Well if that's the case we are well and truly ****ed. I didn't know a group of footballers could be collectively as dumb as a bag of hammers like that.

I've given them too much credit.

Well if that's the case we are well and truly ****ed. I didn't know a group of footballers could be collectively as dumb as a bag of hammers like that.

I've given them too much credit.
Ross has pretty much said that when he mentioned he had to be really careful how he directed his message as “this group is really coachable” when he tells them to do something.

He has said it 3-4 times in the last 2 months

Do they get you up out of your seat? They are potential and in Nas's case a very very good player but none are getting my heart rate up through acts of sheer brilliance or freak shots on goal that sail through against the odds. Owens can do it but he's been pretty quiet lately.
Geez , you're a hard marker, those are the best batch of kids we have had in 15 year's and you're still not happy

Ross has pretty much said that when he mentioned he had to be really careful how he directed his message as “this group is really coachable” when he tells them to do something.

A simple "don't do it" from Ross could then fix all of it.

To be that stupid, collectively, is remarkable. I'm actually impressed.

Don’t buy the group is so coachable stuff

Ross seems pretty frustrated that their not doing as asked

Ross has and always will protect his players

Last edited:
I don't care about that, if we boringly consistently win the tap, and boringly consistently run off with the ball, and predictably kick it to a key forward who just slots it every time without any fanfare or tension....I'm bloody happy.

I'd be happy if we won most of the time.

I haven’t once said the last month was onfield progress.

But it is progress with the games into kids.

Which I have pointed out over and over and over again in this thread
And it’s been refuted that playing them because their the only ones available in teams that are playing shitful football isn’t progress, that’s likely to destroy them but by all means carry on.

A simple "don't do it" from Ross could then fix all of it.

To be that stupid, collectively, is remarkable. I'm actually impressed.
🤦‍♂️

My god mate. I know you’re not that stupid.

I really cbf going into more examples right now. Because this is done for me.

Yourself phantom13 and your burner account BrutThough can have your opinions.

Hopefully we make finals for you boys.

🤦‍♂️

Clearly I am taking the piss. We've been going at it 2 days, I can't be ****ed anymore lol

🤦‍♂️

Actually I don’t give a shit if we make finals, have said that since Ross got appointed. I want to see a clear brand with a minimum requirement of effort.

The fact that after 18 rounds were not seeing that at all concerns me way more than wins and losses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t an issue earlier this year.

I probably remember the Dons one as the best of them. The way Lyon coaches isn't flashy. It's hard grind though.

And it’s been refuted that playing them because their the only ones available in teams that are playing shitful football isn’t progress, that’s likely to destroy them but by all means carry on.
I’ll call child protection services on your behalf.
I’ll let them know Mr Lyon is a bad man and you can work on getting the boys to show the teddy bear where he hurt them

Geez , you're a hard marker, those are the best batch of kids we have had in 15 year's and you're still not happy

I didn't say they were shit. I said the side lacks excitement factor. They are as promising as anything we've had for ages.

Was talking with one of the staff from the Eagles’ 06 era.
He said the players and coaches alike were so driven and accepted nothing but manic training and on-field standards. (He was saying the off-field stuff was allowed to go too far which is why a team was brought in from 07 to remedy it, but that’s besides the point.)

He was saying there was a game where they won easily, but Brent Staker (he said he is a great bloke and clubman) had pulled out of a contest so he was not allowed to eat dinner with the team at the restaurant that night.
People may say that is a tad far, but that’s what hungry and disciplined groups do. Would love to see leadership like that applied at the Saints.

Can actually see the young fellas have that within them. The old heads, not so much.

100%

on that last sentence

This is where I have a different point of view on Lyon. He's not here to build a house. He's inherited a house some dickhead built himself but they'd forgotten put in a foundation and made the frame out of scraps.

Lyon is having to dig a foundation and peel back the panels and fix all the stuff you can't see but that if you don't fix it can never work. Our footy department was more like an Ammos club. You always hear that you can't succeed on field until you get the back of house right, Lyon at a minimum is getting that done. Lethlean and his cronies were trying to build it with a screw driver and an Ikea instruction manual for a bookshelf.

The way we are playing is limited by what we have available. The 4 year contract gives Ross the freedom to play kids. Something Ratts and Richo didn't have the luxury of because we'd made them play for the jobs.

I'm a bit like a Space-X executive. The rocket got 30 seconds into the air and blew up again but those extra 4 seconds are still positive because you learn s**t from it. It's extremely disappointing but we don't scrap the project the first time we hit adversity or what was the point.

I also think Lyon is more manager than coach at the moment He's very keen to point out that the line coaches are running more of the show than him as far as strategy goes. He looks more focussed on structure and standards.

you only have to go back to the half yearly president updates to see how ****in far off it they all were:
first update: " everythings bad need a complete review"
6 months later: "the review worked. everythings amazing. look fwd to continuing this form"
rinse and repeat...

the flip flop from the end of 2020 onwards was genuinely hilarious.

remember last year leading in "last season was unacceptable but we feel the bridge the gap review has worked given the finish of last year and we look fwd to the start of 2022.".... to "we are doing amazing! two more years ratts!!!" even had matt finnis was chest beating on radio pro claiming we dont need a trophy premiership winning coach and its all about the outstanding team led by Ratts only to get sacked less than 100 days later. rath and co moved on.

if people cant see how bloody bad that is... i dunno what to say.

it's not even in the ballpark of being bad. its out right horrendous.

Bassat is firmly in the Finnis boat. Except Bassat's communication and decision making has been pretty down right horrible. The members communication and assessment of footy department has been poor for years now. Ratten's extension incredibly bad.

The president is at the mercy of the footy department telling them what's going on. This lot have bluffed the board and executive for years. Guys like Lethlean who have foot in the footy department and the executive should be in the sights. At least Bassat actually worked out that they were full of shit.

The president is at the mercy of the footy department telling them what's going on. This lot have bluffed the board and executive for years. Guys like Lethlean who have foot in the footy department and the executive should be in the sights. At least Bassat actually worked out that they were full of s**t.

i think you are right, my uninformed opinion but i think he took what they all said verbatim, backed them in for too long. there was no intervention no asking hard questions. he should have been doing that on day given our history of not playing finals for a LONG time. how longs he been president for? feels like near on 5 years now and only now he's worked out they're full of shit? its far far far too late

caro or eddie i think said that on footy classified that the president was going to ask more questions and get involved. this was after the news broke of the new footy dept structure of joint leadership between rath and gags.

but here's the thing... the board he chaired still promoted lethlean...

Unsure if true or not but Ross giving the players Mondays off has been to see who comes in on their own accord to improve themselves either with skill work, recovery, lifting weights ect.
Ross has told certain players to work harder at certain things and around half a dozen have turned up.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's true or not but does sound like something Ross would do to see who has the hunger or not.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I happen to know the young 18 year old girl in the social media department that picks the "Sainter of the Round" and I think she's excelled in her role this week to pick a photo of a perfectly executed "park mark".
I Dont Think So GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back