Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Well so much for us not dropping off as badly as we did last year under Ratten, that was as bad as any of our performances in the 2nd half of last year.

I expected it to be a tough game against the Suns at home and with their coach sacked but I also expected us to be a lot better than we were today.

We didn't look like winning that game at any stage, they just walked all over us and worst of all it was our senior players and leaders that let us down.

Most of our kids had a crack like NWM, Sharman, Owens and Windhager but Marshall, Sinclair, Hill, Butler, Gresham and Howard were all well below par.

Some of the blame has to lie with our coaches too, the lack of system and skills today was woeful and is getting worse, I expected better from Lyon.

Ross keeps talking in the media about how they are addressing our issues and trying to improve but none of what he has said was evident at all today.

The longer Gresham, Hill and Howard are permitted to turn in their countless skill errors and half efforts each week, the longer we will be mired in mediocrity.

Their effort and attitude just undermines the clubs desire to create a successful culture.

Please, please get rid of them.

The list is horrible we hardly have any older drafted players and we overpaid for rejects. Then kids or inexperienced players. We have hardly anything to show for 20 years of drafting. If you don’t draft well you stay poor. We over perform for a patchwork list but you can see why most were let go. The kids look a step up.
Wouldn’t matter what players we have.

Give them a few seasons and pre-seasons playing under Richo, Ratts, Ross and their sorry band of uninspired assistants and they will get turned to shit.

The drudgery of playing under systems these coaches set up kills the spirit of players when it doesn’t get results, especially millennials, gen Zs.

Coaches like the above think football is all about tackling pressure and effort and prioritize this over skills and ball movement.

Might have worked once, won’t anymore.

Coaches like we have are dinosaurs and will be getting phased out.

Of course I can say I see enough talent, why are we choosing to ignore the 8-3 starts and the obvious picking and choosing of when to turn up? So we don't have to blame Ross for any of it? Is he a protected species or something?

We have a list capable of finishing comfortably in the bottom half of the 8. Anything less and the way we play must be questioned.
The list has so many flaws it’s not funny. Are the coaches accountable? Of course they are, we are sh#t in both list and coaching but today was lost by the players. Our most experienced players were so far off it it wasn’t funny. I’d even describe Sinclair's game as the laziest load of crap I’ve seen from someone of his talent.
We are the most mentally fragile bunch of try hards in the AFL.

Age and games played? What about simply not kicking sky balls to packs

That doesn't help but we have poor skills because we picked up 10 recycled players instead of doing the hard yards at the draft. Playing them denied games to kids and kept us competitive but not good enough. We have a terrible midfield with no top end and no depth who can't kick or even handball at the moment.

We have left Sharman out for 2 years to develop in our terrible VFL side who teaches him how to play in a different position to what he's good at. We have done ever dumb thing imaginable and seem to make small changes instead of the hard stuff every time and keep getting the same mediocrity. Look at the Suns list and the Dogs list. They are stacked with talent. We are racing mum's hatch back against F1s.

If we have everyone available and playing well we are good enough to stretch sides but we are nowhere near beating the top 4 sides in a final. Not sure we are even good enough to play finals to be honest. We'd be stealing a spot of a better side. Carlton, Gold Coast and several others below us are better lists.

Can’t tell me with a straight face they care. Especially the leaders.
Leaders? We haven't had one of those for awhile now.
We don't know how to win and have suffered through over a decade of mediocrity, no leaders can come from such a soft, and insipid environment.
We're not challenging for anything, as long as those whom have coasted for the St.Kilda ride remain on the books.
We all know who they are.
Start the rebuild.

That doesn't help but we have poor skills because we picked up 10 recycled players instead of doing the hard yards at the draft. Playing them denied games to kids and kept us competitive but not good enough. We have a terrible midfield with no top end and no depth who can't kick or even handball at the moment.

We have left Sharman out for 2 years to develop in our terrible VFL side who teaches him how to play in a different position to what he's good at. We have done ever dumb thing imaginable and seem to make small changes instead of the hard stuff every time and keep getting the same mediocrity. Look at the Suns list and the Dogs list. They are stacked with talent. We are racing mum's hatch back against F1s.

If we have everyone available and playing well we are good enough to stretch sides but we are nowhere near beating the top 4 sides in a final. Not sure we are even good enough to play finals to be honest. We'd be stealing a spot of a better side. Carlton, Gold Coast and several others below us are better lists.
Never said we were. Said we were a team that is comfortably bottom half of the eight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just an excuse mate.

Some accountability wouldn't go astray. We're last in the comp in that area. It's not good enough.
Not really an excuse, delivery is abhorrent
Also general team tactics are counterintuitive to scoring efficiency which is Lyons department.

Our forwards seem to be overly relied on the be involved in transition + scoring. Basically means we end up heavily outnumbered deep. If mids picked up some transition slack we wouldn't be seeing people like butler in defensive 50 which happened about 5times in the first quarter.

Port, pies and lions mids are the modern era mould for moving the ball, we are no where near it.

Just an excuse mate.

Some accountability wouldn't go astray. We're last in the comp in that area. It's not good enough.

Of course there needs to be accountability but we are a very young forward line. It looks like we are getting uneven performances from them and that's to be expected from inexperienced players. The inside 50 kicks gave them little chance as well. That's on the midfield.

Find it amusing to blame the list when we were 8-3 last year and similar this year. Players picking and choosing when to give effort has nothing to do with the talent of the list. We are capable of finishing 5th-8th missing finals is not acceptable especially the start we had, and what happened last year.
I'll be as disappointed as any to miss finals, but I'm just finding it hard to be critical of the coaching group, given what has been at their disposal for the majority of the year.

Leaders? We haven't had one of those for awhile now.
We don't know how to win and have suffered through over a decade of mediocrity, no leaders can come from such a soft, and insipid environment.
We're not challenging for anything, as long as those whom have coasted for the St.Kilda ride remain on the books.
We all know who they are.
Start the rebuild.
I’d say Wilkie is about our only leader with any quality.

i hate to disagree with everyone but i do . Our problem at the moment is we dont have a functioning forward line capable of kicking large scores . Early in the year we got away with it by keeping other teams down to scores we could match or beat . Also guys like Owens , Hammer , Pou , Higgins and Butler were kicking a few goals each game . Now teams know to try shut down those players and with no King or Membrey there we just cant kick a winning score . We really missed Higgins as he is hard to match up with . It annoys me when there is so much criticism of Steele and Marshall , they can only do so much . We always new Marshall would struggle against certain types of ruckmen like Witts but he still gives it his all . Steele has worked his way back from injuries when he probably shouldnt have been playing but did so because on the amount of senior players injured or not playing well . People also saying to get rid of Wood forget how well he was playing up till about 4 or 5 matches ago . I hope we give Heath a go up forward next week , perhaps drop Pou , Owens and Hammer and give them a spell as their bodies wouldnt be used to this constant pounding they are coping from more experienced players . I still think the future is bright and if we dont make the finals this year its no big deal given the injuries we have had and the fact that we have had to play young players in important roles before they were physically ready for it.
Really , at the start of the season i never thought we would spend any time in the 8 anyway .

I'll be as disappointed as any to miss finals, but I'm just finding it hard to be critical of the coaching group, given what has been at their disposal for the majority of the year.
And what would that be? We were pushing top four with an injury ravaged start and have fallen off with the list back to near full health.

Incredible failure on the coaches if we don't make finals given the start we had. Comp figured out Ross' gameplan in half a season and now we're completely dumbfounded on how to turn it around. It's pathetic.

Last 8 years’ ladder positions: 9th, 9th, 6th, 14th, 16th, 10th, 9th, 14th.

Not sure that coaching is the problem. They have tried a host of coaches with this list, and with the exception of a slight overachievement in 2020, the team has finished no better than 9th.

We are on track to finish exactly where this list has been for the last 8 years.

Need a hard cull of the upper age bracket of the playing list. Keep the few that can provide SOME leadership.

Bottom out over the next three years, hit the draft hard and hope to hell that our younger brigade continue to develop.

Right now we are exactly where I feared we would be at the end of last year - a poorly drilled, poorly led middling side that does nothing to improve its list in the long term.

We need to build around the next crop.

When you're winning playing a low-scoring brand it's ok because everyone loves winning. The problem is, once you start losing it is barely watchable. We will struggle to get people to our games playing like that. Obviously the injuries don't help, but that was a really, really bad performance against a vulnerable side.

Find it amusing to blame the list when we were 8-3 last year and similar this year. Players picking and choosing when to give effort has nothing to do with the talent of the list. We are capable of finishing 5th-8th missing finals is not acceptable especially the start we had, and what happened last year.

And considering there are so many people happy to give him a pass for doing the exact same thing that occurred last year is beyond hilarious.
We got rid of Ratten because we shit the bed so bad we were spared only because Carlton missed by a point.

The Pres went head hunting to improve the standards. Well what I've seen from our senior blokes over the last 3 months has been exactly the same as the second half of last year.

Cuddly Ross didn't work and I'm doubting that scary Ross has had any ****ing impact on the boys either.

Last edited:
A coach having a "Year of Exploration" does not sub the Pou off, he is one worth exploring with.

There was 15 under-performers at that stage, he could have picked any one of them. But he takes the easy pick on a teenager who could use the reps.

I couldn't understand why Ross subbed him off after he had just kicked a goal, we needed goals and he's one of our few forwards that can kick them.

There were a number of other players I would have subbed off before him, if it was pre-planned then they needed to change the plan after that goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back