Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not going to mass quote you and I’m not looking for a fight - well aware you and I go down the slippery slope too often and easily.

But you have continually pinned everything on Ross. You from day 1 sat there saying he is the wrong bloke and that we have to be aiming for finals - especially as he is now coach.

You have constantly and continuously chosen to ignore the message they have put infront of you and set your own expectations. Which is fine - but if they are not aligned and you are let down, that’s on you.

A year of exploration Ross called it. You said a year of finals.

Tell me how many coaches in charge of this side get this side at a higher level RIGHT NOW when King Membrey Billings Jones Coffield Hayes Dmac all play less then 10 games.

That is the group that needs to be supporting the 22 on any given week.

We had 6, 20 and under year olds out there today.

That doesn’t excuse the disposal. The performances of the likes of Howard. Etc

But they are the facts of the season.

Same goes for anyone else.

We are getting hard cold answers on a number right now. Which is great. That’s the silver lining.

Looks scarily like a full rebuild right now.

How hard is it to figure out that our list is crap, we have no backbone, and have deplorable skills? We ALL know. It stands out like a pair of dogs balls.
The only thing "explored" this year is our so called running ability.
Turns out, it's about as useful as t*ts on a bull.
WHY?
Please refer to the dogs balls.

We won't and can't do that. Ross will just have us play dour footy for the next four years in the hope it turns and then the cycle repeats lol. We are going nowhere until we implement a modern day strategy with a coach and coaches who know how to win.

s**t lists, play s**t football. We lack the talent to be of any concern to anyone...myself included.

We had more talent out there than we showed today, we had a similar team playing better football earlier in the season but we have dropped off again.

Fitness, strength and durability seem to be constant issues for us in recent years, even more of an issue for us than talent.

Why do we keep dropping off as the season goes on and why do we keep losing so many players to injury compared to other teams?

You can understand it with some of our younger players but our older experienced players keep dropping off and getting injured too.

Other teams players look much stronger and more durable than our players while some of our players look like they haven't even set foot inside a gym.

It's not just physical strength either, it's mental strength too, we are both physically weak as well as mentally weak and it shows at this time of year.

It’s a certainty that our sport goes the way of other sports where coaches like Ross simply won’t be effective anymore.

There’s no sentiment in sport. The philosophies and systems that win games trump everything. It so happens that negative defensive dourness doesn’t get results anymore in pro sport and hasn’t for awhile.

There’s a reason in England at the top level of football 6 of the coaches are Spanish. They are industry leaders in ball movement. The Aussie (Ange) that’s made it there plays a similar way.

It’s all about positivity, and precise ball movement and intelligent pressing.

The stodgy English coaches that play in a defensive way like Ross? Not even getting coaching gigs in their own leagues.

Collingwood are leading the way in our league, just look at half time in our respective games. They nearly scored 100 points, us just two goals.

It’s not just Collingwood though, there are plenty of other teams that move the ball well in this league and are only going to beget better (Hawks and Crows a couple of examples with young lists).

If we think we are in pain now, imagine this list - already mentally shot from years of negative Rich and Ratts - under a few more years of Ross negativity.

I think it keeps you competitive it just can't go past sides that balance it with attack. Dogs are probably too far the other way. They try to take you out in an all out assault and hope that their best 22 can defeat the opposition's best 22. Collingwood have it spot on. They are defence based but a calculated risk attacking side. They have elite ball users and guys with vision who can pick the best option and execute it.

Richmond were able to find a way with a lesser quality list so it is possible to play to strengths of what you have still. Lyon has done well with the list he has but until we get quality in and develop them we are going nowhere. I'm not sure how far away we are but it doesn't look close to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the last 5 weeks since the bye we are a fumbly second third grab side...we cannot take the ball cleanly and move it forward without stuttering missing handballs etc...Stocker to Sinc ffs.

We are kidding ourselves if Dougs Hill Butler and Gresh are taking us anywhere but 9th...you can throw in Jones as well.

That's 3 mids a Big Backman and a more effective decent forward.
Hopefully Higgins and King fill the forward gap....we get Himmelberg as a free agent and then work on recruiting and developing Owens and Pou into those spots.

All we can do is nail the draft and cherry pick other sides dross. Looks like we have missed the Flanders boat sadly.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok now that I’m a little calmer, probably a little harsh but

Sharman, NAS, Peris (first game), Wilkie (?), Jones (sore hip) performed at an acceptable level.

Im missing a few but thought Windhager, Owens, Caminiti tried.

The rest either all below the standard they are capable of or abysmal today.

I honestly still have faith in the coaching panel but this list is substandard. You can’t polish a xxxx.

We had more talent out there than we showed today, we had a similar team playing better football earlier in the season but we have dropped off again.

Fitness, strength and durability seem to be constant issues for us in recent years, even more of an issue for us than talent.

Why do we keep dropping off as the season goes on and why do we keep losing so many players to injury compared to other teams?

You can understand it with some of our younger players but our older experienced players drop off and get injured too.

Other teams players look much stronger and more durable than our players while some of our players look like they haven't even set foot inside a gym.

It's not just physical strength either, it's mental strength too, we are both physically weak as well as mentally weak and it shows at this time of year.

Agree with all of what you've said and the last part there, absolutely nails it. We're shot...again.

We won't and can't do that. Ross will just have us play dour footy for the next four years in the hope it turns and then the cycle repeats lol. We are going nowhere until we implement a modern day strategy with a coach and coaches who know how to win.

Not sure we are in the same cycle. I think Lyon is a realist and if the side isn't good enough he'll make a call on it still. The last 2 coaches were playing to keep their jobs so tried nothing that would pay off in 4+ years. Lyon has the keys to the city and is allowed to make big calls. I think he'll lop the dead branches off at a minimum. There are lots of players that are never taking us forward.

I’m feeling like it’s a good thing the band aids have finally been torn off . Smashed in the midfield yet again.

Forward line obviously not functional at the moment but next year will be king , an older caminiti, sharman needs to play every game . Could be our Gunstan . Higgins and butler and maybe a defensive small forward in peris.
Trade Billings , Gresham for mids or picks.
Do Not trade hunter Clark
Mids mids and quality mids !!!!

I will never understand the cop out of year of exploration just a load of BS shows the weak mentality of the club , let’s see how the year of exploration goes for next years membership numbers

Are you Ross Lyon? You seem to take it so personally when anyone dare question him.

I don't care what expectations he had set, the fact is this list is capable of playing finals and so anything less is a failure. We keep excusing these s**t performances because of "the year of exploration". * the year of exploration, we should be winning these games and we aren't. We are better than this and for near on 3 months now we have dished up absolute rubbish.

The list you talk about were pushing top 4 at the mid point of the season. We would be stupid to not shift expectations as the season unfolds. From where we were, if we miss finals it's totally unacceptable.

Jones Hayes McKenzie? Who cares if they play 10 or less games lol, they aren't best 22 anyway. King Membrey Billings all out and we were pushing top four. It's just more excuses. That's all I hear. Oh but this, oh but that. They've shown they can do it. Ross looks like he's been found out and has no answer.
Sounds to me like you have an agenda. I may be wrong. No one picked us to make the 8. No one. We are still there with probably the worst injury list of any side this year.
We were never going to challenge. If anyone had had those expectations they were silly.
The coach was sacked for a reason.
We still may play finals, playing like a D grade amateurs side.
What did you expect?

Just curious, you have a mob that put a contract in front of blokes went "yeah nah", flipped tables and emptied cabinets, hired new blokes, some of them left, if in the very chance you get afterwards, would this be you rebuilding something or not?

If that very same mob then waved some flags and went "temper dem expectations, we be exploring the daintree" would this scream being competitive for a different flag to you?

Then again, I did get told how much of an idiot I was for suggesting Coff for trade only to see Hunter get offered to North for picks, so maybe already treating it like a rebuild helps and getting googly eyes at what parts might change and update with the new guys is kinda exciting? Like imagine a younger Gresh type that can actually kick a drop punt...

Are you Ross Lyon? You seem to take it so personally when anyone dare question him.

I don't care what expectations he had set, the fact is this list is capable of playing finals and so anything less is a failure. We keep excusing these s**t performances because of "the year of exploration". * the year of exploration, we should be winning these games and we aren't. We are better than this and for near on 3 months now we have dished up absolute rubbish.

The list you talk about were pushing top 4 at the mid point of the season. We would be stupid to not shift expectations as the season unfolds. From where we were, if we miss finals it's totally unacceptable.

Jones Hayes McKenzie? Who cares if they play 10 or less games lol, they aren't best 22 anyway. King Membrey Billings all out and we were pushing top four. It's just more excuses. That's all I hear. Oh but this, oh but that. They've shown they can do it. Ross looks like he's been found out and has no answer.
This list you keep going on about had made 1 finals campaign since 2011.

It isn’t a finals side.

Your one finals campaign occurred in the most ****ed year in footy history too.

You are wrong.
No. Or Atleast not the expectation of the club and coaches and list management committee.

1 or 2 trade and draft periods.

Heavy cutting and turnover is the expectation

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back