Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds to me like you have an agenda. I may be wrong. No one picked us to make the 8. No one. We are still there with probably the worst injury list of any side this year.
We were never going to challenge. If anyone had had those expectations they were silly.
The coach was sacked for a reason.
We still may play finals, playing like a D grade amateurs side.
What did you expect?
Yes you are wrong. I don't care what others predicted. It's my opinion. I expected us to finish 5th-8th. I've seen us play to that level so I expect it. No more excuses for anyone. You've shown you're capable, that's the standard.

Find it amusing to blame the list when we were 8-3 last year and similar this year. Players picking and choosing when to give effort has nothing to do with the talent of the list. We are capable of finishing 5th-8th missing finals is not acceptable especially the start we had, and what happened last year.
The lack of selection integrity. They know no one is taking thier spot so they can cruise.

Go to the top of the table in Collingwood and serve up shit. You're dropped

I expected to play finals
We missed by one game last year and apparently have a much better coach and coaching group this year
The fact of our long and ongoing injury list, and blooding so many younger players for almost an entire season, yet still remaining in a similar ladder position as last year - does that not count as a better coaching performance?
We were predicted to be bottom 4 before all our injuries occurred at the beginning of the season.

Ratts copped it all last year.

Isn't it about time the players take responsibility? They were let off last year, nobody else to blame.
Will the scales fall from the eyes finally?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I get that JB
But who are we replacing them with ?
Fine getting rid of players but no good if we don’t replace with better players
TDK and Dow ? that’s going backwards

We sacked Ratts because he wasn’t getting the best out of the list
Which you cannot say about Ross, considering the injuries and youth we are playing.

“Quality” won’t help with a coach like Ross in 2023.

Once upon a time, he could let cobblers cobble and do the defensive stuff, kiss the arses of his best players, pump up their tyres and give them freedom to express themselves within his rigid system.

His philosophy of dourness and defense back then gave him a point of difference.

It simply doesn’t work like that anymore. You defend by attacking in certain ways and areas and press intelligently. And a given is you can kick and handball under pressure.

Ross is a self-confessed “effort” coach.

A coach like him is outdated. Quality won’t matter a jot: in fact, with Gen Z/millenials, something with quality under Ross will eventually get ground down and then down tools (see Steele).
Scores of 67, 92,92 and 113 in the first four rounds shows we used to be able to kick scores.

The fact of our long and ongoing injury list, and blooding so many younger players for almost an entire season, yet still remaining in a similar ladder position as last year - does that not count as a better coaching performance?
We were predicted to be bottom 4 before all our injuries occurred at the beginning of the season.
No it doesn't, the injury list is an excuse for the form we see now. With all the outs we were playing better than we are now. Go figure.

We've only had 3 players debut this year, Caminiti Philipou Peris, correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like a normal year to me.

We were predicted to be bottom four by people who either don't know anything about footy or don't follow us closely enough. We were never a bottom four team or going to be. Excuses.

Missed finals by a game last year and now with this apparently star studded coaching group surely we can find the extra win to get in. Not asking for much. 5th-8th is reasonable given what we've seen they are capable of.

The list isn't the same list we've had since 2011 so I don't know what you're on about. The majority of this list has been around for what? 5-6 years together?

Let's not count the semi final year because it doesn't fit the narrative

I'm wrong...OK 🤣

It sure as s**t is a finals side, the incompetence from several coaches over the years including Ross and their inability to move to plan B when they've been found out is clear as day. Could perhaps stop directing the players to kick it on our forwards heads, over handballing, playing ultra defensive conservative footy, maybe giving players a go in positions that they are better suited for...

Thankfully Ross is owning it and taking the blame as he should.
Surely you’re taking the piss? Do I watch any other teams play besides us? We have the worst skills on par with north and hawkes, but they are rebuilding name once we hit a target in the f50 I’ll wait! It’s not the coaches we could have ****en Ted lasso and still we won’t hit a target, we need a rebuild and Ross knows it

We have this horrible habit of overachieving with what we have. Smart sides look at the list and send everyone for surgeries or play kids. We played old NQR types who were just off the pace so never got horrible enough to get the picks and the few times we couldn't defy gravity we stunk up the picks. Our two top 4 picks were McCartin and Billings who could have been Bont and Petracca and we traded out for Carlisle who we still got Gresham with but hasn't seemed to work out either.

I'm generally of past us takes Petracca, see his pudgy self previously and cut him after maybe 3 years as we stick him on a flank somewhere and he ends up like Dunstan. We were shit scared of that cliff and I wanted Brayshaw, but was happy with McCartin as I dunno why people couldn't see him as a natural forward and we had ageing blokes up there and a guy that changed his name and was previously a defender so why not, it was only diabetes to manage. The Billings and Bont thing yeah that was a miscalc, but a 2 goal a game winger type was fine in isolation really and I had faith in Ross as an extractor to feed him.

As a club though, I see stages.

Summer/Finnis; consolidation
Bassat/Finnis: growth
Bassat/Lethlean: action

You're going to make mistakes regardless, if it's in the first, you have jack shit, if it's in the second, you can still recover instead of starting over again. Goven we have new buildings, new oval, new sponsors, and things again, base seems fine and it's just a refinement thing, so we just need to learn how to run again after walking.

We sacked Ratts because he wasn’t getting the best out of the list
I'm coming to the realisation that nobody at the club actually has a ****ing clue what's going on. Bassat may be an excellent businessman but when it comes to footy his track record at our club is laughable

Surely you’re taking the piss? Do I watch any other teams play besides us? We have the worst skills on par with north and hawkes, but they are rebuilding name once we hit a target in the f50 I’ll wait! It’s not the coaches we could have *en Ted lasso and still we won’t hit a target, we need a rebuild and Ross knows it
You another one of those that are ignoring the first half of the year or?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bad news is that they won't want to leave.

In the bad news bulletin, they ain’t comin
Miles Morales Marvel GIF by Sony Pictures Animation

And TDK and Jack Silvagni both having outstanding games for the Blues...

I expected to play finals
We missed by one game last year and apparently have a much better coach and coaching group this year
I think every saints supporter did. After all the top brass got rid of ratts because they thought we could be better and got an experienced coach to do it.

Bottom 4 by who David King ?

We sacked a coach because we missed finals and he wasn’t getting the best out of our list

If we miss finals Basset and board should step down

Scores of 67, 92,92 and 113 in the first four rounds shows we used to be able to kick scores.
Without King or Membrey, but King and Membrey are now being highlighted as reasons for our poor form. Makes sense! 😂

No it doesn't, the injury list is an excuse for the form we see now. With all the outs we were playing better than we are now. Go figure.

We've only had 3 players debut this year, Caminiti Philipou Peris, correct me if I'm wrong. Seems like a normal year to me.

We were predicted to be bottom four by people who either don't know anything about footy or don't follow us closely enough. We were never a bottom four team or going to be. Excuses.

Missed finals by a game last year and now with this apparently star studded coaching group surely we can find the extra win to get in. Not asking for much. 5th-8th is reasonable given what we've seen they are capable of.
You’re being disingenuous.

I didn’t say just this year.
Pou ( first year) Stocker ( barely played ever), Owens ( barely played last year) Windy ( barely played last year) Sharman ( the most experienced of the lot with 20 games) NAS a second year player. That’s a third of our 18.

David King and Almost every other expert commentator had us down near the bottom beginning of the season.

King, Membrey, Billings, Jones missing almost the entirety of the season and Steele playing on one leg
means we are not the same list as last year.

Which you cannot say about Ross, considering the injuries and youth we are playing.

He is giving our younger players more opportunities now than he did back in 2009 and 2010 but that's because we were a premiership contender then.

We are a long way short of being a premiership contender now and even if we snuck into finals we aren't doing any serious damage and he knows that.

He is clearly looking long term at the bigger picture, playing finals this year would be a nice bonus for us but that wouldn't be his no.1 priority this year.

Ross doesn't coach teams just to make up the numbers in finals, he coaches teams to make the pointy end of finals and we aren't ready for that yet.

You’re being disingenuous.

I didn’t say just this year.
Pou ( first year) Stocker ( barely played ever), Owens ( barely played last year) Windy ( barely played last year) Sharman ( the most experienced of the lot with 20 games) NAS a second year player. That’s a third of our 18.

David King and Almost every other expert commentator had us down near the bottom beginning of the season.

King, Membrey, Billings, Jones missing almost the entirety of the season and Steele playing on one leg
means we are not the same list as last year.
You said blooding players for almost an entire season, I take that as 2023 no?

Pou Caminiti Peris the three debutants. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Expert commentators? The AFL media is a cesspit, these blokes don't follow our club as closely as we do. Bottom four 😂 ridiculous.

King Membrey Billings Jones all missed first half of year yet we pushed top four. All I hear is excuses unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back