Review Round 18, 2024 vs Gold Coast SUNS

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't win when so many are so poor. Like just about every single similar game for god only knows how long.

At 3/4 break they had scored something like 11.4 from turnovers!! Simply, we aren't good enough to play against good teams.

We're only ok when our very best carry the load. When our very best are challenged the pack of B graders beneath are exposed horribly.

Coaching is a total mess. Gameplan is reasonable when it works but it's been over-coached to the point that the braindead brigade (led admirably by Wines) haven't a clue what to do when they can't do exactly what they have been trained exclusively to do. Wines was embarrassing today. Soft, clueless, and barely got above a jog. I feel sick when I hear people describe him as a bull, he's anything but.

And like clockwork, soon as things become dire we start playing like we think it's touch footy. Panic stricken beyond belief. I'd love to know what progressive, feeling based crap, we've employed to develop leaders. Apart from maybe Butters everyone else crumbles under any sort of pressure.

Once again, that rests on Hinkley. That's his responsibility.

We need a new coach, a whole new coaching group actually but then if we're serious we will be down the bottom 5 or so for a couple of years. We need draft capital because even with a new coach this list is nowhere near top four quality and I can't see any decent players wanting to come to a very average side.

I expect we'll now drop most of the remaining games and finish somewhere between 11th - 14th. Probably a fair indicator of where we actually are.

We have firmly become the outright holders of the bully award. Let us plat our way without any real challenge and our top five or so will dazzle you. Put up a fight and our true nature always shines through.

Coach and coaching assistants
List Management Team
Strength and Conditioning Team
Nutritionist
Football Department Head

They all need to go.

Our problems are way more than a stale under-achieving coach.
Good post.
The turnovers as usual cone from our obsession To use the centre corridor no matter how many players the opposition have guarding it.

It’s old school coaching from the early 2000s.

Injuries are never funny but it was hard not to laugh at Dixon injuring Marshall in an unnecessary and unusual way

It was poetic as finally the claims of the Hot Toddys that Dixon is the reason Marshall can't get a kick were justified.

The obsession to use the centre corridor cost us 5 or 6 goals today.

It’s old school coaching that good teams easily defend against.

So many times they go thru the corridor when it is not on.

There's nothing wrong with using the corridor and attacking the game. Our problem is we have no plan B because our forwards won't lead and can't compete in the contest.

The obsession to use the centre corridor cost us 5 or 6 goals today.

It’s old school coaching that good teams easily defend against.

So many times they go thru the corridor when it is not on.

Yep. Badly outcoached.

It was obvious we wanted to use the corridor at every opportunity and it was even more obvious that Gold Coast knew that.

I think Rosa's hit on Evans was disgraceful. It was a 1970s snipe. Should be 5 weeks.

Umpire looking straight at it, Evans goes to ground holding his head allowing the Suns player to run off the mark uncontested. No call, play on.

JHF needs to be held accountable for his tantrums. Handed them two goals and Kenny slidsup next to him and tells him. “I recognise your emotions but I need you to not do that”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JHF needs to be held accountable for his tantrums. Handed them two goals and Kenny slidsup next to him and tells him. “I recognise your emotions but I need you to not do that”.

You're right, but he was hung onto, hit high and late all day for 0 free kicks and 4 against. No wonder he gets frustrated.

I'd rather see a player emotionally engaged in the game than a player going through the motions collecting a pay cheque as the majority of our players do. As he matures as a person and player he will get better at being physical without overstepping the line. It's a nothing issue.

We need to start holding onto some draft picks and choose well for the future.
The quick fix can work if you have most bases covered unfortunately we struggle to much at both ends of the ground to play that game.

Basically we are going to have to tie up our core group of players (Butters,JHF and co) and build around them.
There is some good young talent there but we have zero depth.
It’s not just the game plan that needs changing it’s the mindset of what is required to be mentally tough.
We have been fragile since the 07 GF and that’s 17 years ago now.
It’s so frustrating because the competition is that even You don’t have to be Brisbane 2000 to win a flag.
I actually think that it could be a quick fix with the right coaching group in place. I think the talent is there but we lack smart tactical coach and imo, decent development coaches.

I’m not convinced that our list is that bad. I still think it’s pretty good.

A lot of this stuff is coaching and I’m not just referring to the senior coach.

Our forward and defensive coach are pretty average.

Our defensive pressure all over the ground is poor and therefore our ability to cause turnovers is school boy standard.

I thought Evans and Narkle did well. Im liking what im seeing from Narkle, i think there is enough there to persist with and he provides great depth.

Wines/DBJ and our forwards were insipid. We also still cant tackle to save ourselves. I very much doubt any effort is going into it as it just simply doesn't improve.

I would be very happy if Finlayson never played a another game for Port.

Sick of his poor body language and abusing his team mates.

Very selfish footballer.

Saw a bit of Ken's presser. He was wearing a Port cap looking every bit like an extra from Green Acres (younger posters might have to look that up).

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2024 vs Gold Coast SUNS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back