Review Round 18, 2024 vs Gold Coast SUNS

Remove this Banner Ad

Was an odd game to watch at the ground. Seemed to be more Port supporters than GCS there. Losing Jones & Marshall was telling. So many turnovers in the middle and getting smashed in the clearances cost us critical goals.
I don’t ever want to see DBJ play in the A side again.
Some of his efforts were insipid.
Slow movement from the back half and bombing it on top of the heads of the forwards was classic Hinkleyball to watch live.
A disappointing afternoon…..

Last edited:
And it's the same old filth you used to see from Richmond under Hardwick, and the umpires just ignored it. At least they used to penalise Richmond regularly.

That big dopey lug Walter falling on BZT's head, King jumping into his back, then the usual sniping high and late stuff that doesn't get called. But we get anywhere near someone's shoulders and the whistle blows. As someone posted here, that last free for high to a bloke crawling around on all fours, spare me. Then the rolling of shoulders and dipping of knees that the umpires chose to call high this week.

And Hinkley doesn't know what to do about it. He never has.

Don't get me wrong, we were still largely the architects of our own demise with awful turnovers, fumbles, handballs into players backs, homicidal teal on teal collisions, terrible F50 entries and forwards who wandered around the forward line like they were Neil from The Young Ones.

But the laissez-faire umpiring made it all the more frustrating.

Thought Moyle was massive for them. Felt like every time we kicked a goal they got the next centre clearance. Thought he destroyed sweet.

Still haven't solved the ruck puzzle. Arguably worth just giving Visentini the rest of the season - at least he has time on his side.

I thought that was more them killing us in clearances all over the ground, rather than ruck work. Another area we fail in when the pressure is on.

Hardwick was the coach to get.

The panned to him angry after the win.

He was the one we should of gone after.

We would be the first team in history to concede 100 free kicks in a game if Hardwick coached us.

Moyle was top of the champion data ranking points. I know the CP rankings are not always sensible but it does show he was pretty dominant given ruckman rarely score highly

Certainly we need a fresh look at the list and giving long serving but no longer elite players a fond farewell and trying out the players who we think might make it in time for the long journey back to being top 4 and a threat.
We need to start holding onto some draft picks and choose well for the future.
The quick fix can work if you have most bases covered unfortunately we struggle to much at both ends of the ground to play that game.

Basically we are going to have to tie up our core group of players (Butters,JHF and co) and build around them.
There is some good young talent there but we have zero depth.
It’s not just the game plan that needs changing it’s the mindset of what is required to be mentally tough.
We have been fragile since the 07 GF and that’s 17 years ago now.
It’s so frustrating because the competition is that even You don’t have to be Brisbane 2000 to win a flag.

We need to start holding onto some draft picks and choose well for the future.
The quick fix can work if you have most bases covered unfortunately we struggle to much at both ends of the ground to play that game.

Basically we are going to have to tie up our core group of players (Butters,JHF and co) and build around them.
There is some good young talent there but we have zero depth.
It’s not just the game plan that needs changing it’s the mindset of what is required to be mentally tough.
We have been fragile since the 07 GF and that’s 17 years ago now.
It’s so frustrating because the competition is that even You don’t have to be Brisbane 2000 to win a flag.
I wanna see what our backline can do when the forward line decide to chase and tackle and give effort.

Marshall, finalyson and dbj give no effort and Dixon can’t move.. the ball flys out of our forward line.

But hey let’s keep selecting them. On ya chadbro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moyle was top of the champion data ranking points. I know the CP rankings are not always sensible but it does show he was pretty dominant given ruckman rarely score highly

Moyle had 4 more disposal, 4 less hitouts, a couple more clearances, Sweet kicked a goal and he didn't. I can't see the vast gulf there.

Dixon & Finlayson both rubbish. Marshall was no better before he got injured. How has our KPF development / recruitment been so awful?

Every kf that comes here goes backwards.

When it happens to 5 kfs now you’ve got to realise there’s a common factor outside of those players.

Shit trade like the rest of them the last 2 years

We paid a single 3rd rounder for fin. I don’t think that was a bad trade at all. He could retire tomorrow and it’s still fine.

Trading a 2nd and 3rd for a small forward who couldn’t get on the park was a bad trade. Trading pick 25 for a fringe key defender from Geelong was a bad trade. Both of those were overpays at the time and well more than what people , even the pro-vic media, thought we were going to pay.

Agreed, no doubt like many I had high hopes for Lord after that 4 goal effort in that final against brisvegas, but take that one game out of his resume and he hasn't done much apart from the occasional good thing here and there in either the AFL or the SANFL.

A change of coach may help, but I doubt we can put too much blame on kern, or chadbro for Ollie being as uncompetitive as he was today.

Eh. Developing kfs often struggle.

Darcy and ugle Hagen barely did much against the other week and they’re touted as stars.

Walters, a top draft pick with a man’s body had 1d today and that was a bizarre free.

And those guys aren’t playing in our abortion of a forward line.

Dixon will have the awareness to retire even though hes still arguably our best tall forward

Boak will 100% play on

hmmm

lol awareness. If Dixon had any there’s no way he would have put up his hand to come back into the side. Hell he must know he’s physically not right: I’ve never seen an afl player as cooked as he is this year.

I know he’s only a borderline tall, but Georgiades is the only tall forward who commands the ball and plays like a key forward this year. Saying that Dixon is arguably our best of the rest is really a reflection on Marshall’s inability to come on since 2022, and Lord not kicking on this year.

Hopefully Dixon and Boak retire.

Lol who thinks Dixon is our 2nd best kf this year lol.

The dude has a negative effect. For every goal he gets he’s costing us more by being the black hole whereby everything must go and we lose all space and structure.

I’ve long argued that playing 3 kfs is necessary for structure, but in this rare case we would be better off playing a player short:

It’s just hinkleys moronic gameplan, our players lazy adherence to it, Dixon’s ego and his cooked body combining for the perfect storm.

Once his strength and competitiveness was enough to eek something out of the mess but no longer.

I wanna see what our backline can do when the forward line decide to chase and tackle and give effort.

Marshall, finalyson and dbj give no effort and Dixon can’t move.. the ball flys out of our forward line.

But hey let’s keep selecting them. On ya chadbro
The only tall forward we could bring in is Scully, as for the smaller forwards there’s nobody who hasn’t been tried that’s worthy of a game.
Basically we lose MG through stupidity and Rioli for nobody knows why and we’re fked.
We need to start keeping draft picks and invest for the future.
This won’t be a quick fix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2024 vs Gold Coast SUNS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back