Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how Charlie gets 3 but a deliberate elbow by Alex Davies gets 1 week

It’s purely a result of the grading rubric used. A concussion is determined to be severe impact which for careless intent is 3 weeks at least. Since the player hit by Davies was fine and ran out the game it was low impact and intentional which is a week.

Most people I’d say are very frustrated that intentional acts completely unrelated to footy are getting light sentences when there’s been an understandable crackdown on actions that concuss.

Players need to start getting 2 weeks for any punch/hit to the head and a week for anything to the body. We have seen how much more careful players are when tackling so it seems like such an obvious response to help snuff out shit acts off the ball.

It’s purely a result of the grading rubric used. A concussion is determined to be severe impact which for careless intent is 3 weeks at least. Since the player hit by Davies was fine and ran out the game it was low impact and intentional which is a week.

Most people I’d say are very frustrated that intentional acts completely unrelated to footy are getting light sentences when there’s been an understandable crackdown on actions that concuss.

Players need to start getting 2 weeks for any punch/hit to the head and a week for anything to the body. We have seen how much more careful players are when tackling so it seems like such an obvious response to help snuff out shit acts off the ball.
The port Adelaide player suffered concussion and was ruled out of the game so that’s not the reason

The MRO is absolutely on fire this week. 3 players get 3 weeks each - 2 for perfectly good tackles, one for contesting the ball - while a player throws an elbow at an opponent's head off the ball and gets a week. WTF is going on.

If you watch Charlie's tackle, he just pins the arms. There is no pushing over, no sling. The defender is pulling backwards trying to get away and falls to the ground. The MRO needs disbanding.

1- If Liam Duggan wasn't concussed the Charlie tackle does not even raise an eyebrow.
2- Cam Rayner regularly does front and side on driving tackles, he should pack them away, if someone gets concussed he is gone for weeks.
3- There is absolutely no doubt the MRO react to media hype/narrative.
4- IMO within a decade the tackle will be outlawed, the AFL will be a version of Gaelic Football.

The human race is being turned into a whining bunch of softies searching for a risk free life and safe spaces. Unless our game morphs into something we will not recognise you will never eliminate all risk in a high intensity contact sport.

Last edited:
Ashcroft played almost 100% wing and had a pretty average game. The midfield mix continues to be interesting with Dunks, Neale and Clug playing most of the game on ball relegating Berry and Ashcroft to decent but not very influential games
Thought Ashcroft was decent, but without having seen a replay I think his defensive intent needs a bit of realignment.

If Charlie does miss who takes that spot next week? Not a whole lot in reserves, I assume we’d just station Bailey full time up there and cut whatever minimal midfield minutes he’s been getting?
That's exactly what I'd do. Dev into the guts and actually give him some game time there.

A lot of the problem is the hard AFL grounds. His head had a good bounce off the turf, certainly didn't sink in at all.
Well I've heard that NRL pitches are softer, which makes sense. I'mm talking top level.
Although I played on a park with a cricket pitch on the ground and it had a bank on one side to make it level, lol.
It was rock hard as well
Mind you it was pub league.

On the game.
Few more players finding their own form and more involvement.
Rayner comes to mind.
Fletch had an important game for us.
Lockie , already been said , had a blinder when it was required.
Joyce I thought did well early last year , nothing different now he has had two games in, doing his job.
Bailey got back a few times which was great to see otherwise pretty mediochre.
But the same things still concern me .
Too many missed tackels with players stepping around us. Bailey wasn't alone but he had his fair share.
No answer to overlapping run which is a concern.
Which brings us to the wings and work rate running back.
We need to play players who can run back as well as running forward.
Don't like Ashcroft there at all, would much rather Sharp play there.
The other problem I have is Ashcroft just banging it on the boot, don't care who you are we have better options, if we don't then we need to have more avenues, but for mind it is him looking to kick first rather than seek a handball.
I like Brain as well, needs to stay in over McKenna.
Got to be happy for the win, next week I think it might come down to team selection , that could have a big factor on our team defense and the way we cover the oppositions exits.
Actually I've changed my mind. Sharp in for Cameron. Bailey plays more forward. Berry/McCluggage/Ashcroft play more inside mid. Sharp runs with Gulden.

We will need blokes who can help cover the spread playing a team like Sydney. Dev is a good runner but I feel Sunday's game will be won on the outside more than the inside.

Last edited:
Thought that was similar to the Adelaide game in that we just kept them at arm's length the entire game. They never got closer than that 10-15 margin, and we'd inevitably respond to their challenge with a goal. In saying that the fourth quarter was more on their terms than ours.

Loved how Fletcher and Kai stood up in the fourth. Joyce responded to the Melbourne game as well as we could've hoped.

Reading the tea leaves I'd say Brain will stay in and McKenna will be dropped
He certainly should. Whether he will or not is another story altogether.

Agree with your earlier points. The two games were so similar that in neither we conceded any run of more than 2 consecutive goals. Even tho it certainly felt like the Eagles were getting a run on in the last quarter.

And on our last quarter, wowee. The amount of our blokes who could not raise a gallop in the last and were falling off tackles left, right and centre. If it's as noticeable on TV as it was, it must have been ultra graphic live at the ground. And the difference was so stark, given our tackling, pressure and general effort had actually been pretty good for 3 quarters. We should have finished the game much better given they only had 3 on the bench.

All comes back to my (ongoing) concerns about our last quarters. Currently we're 14th for last quarters, at 93.6%. In fact our quarters get progressively worse. Our 1st quarters are league best at 165.5%. 2nd we're #3 at 126.4%. 3rd we're #9 at 104.8%. It's a pretty clear and alarming trend, and one a strong opposition will seek to take advantage of.

Oh, hi there Sydney! 👋

The MRO is absolutely on fire this week. 3 players get 3 weeks each - 2 for perfectly good tackles, one for contesting the ball - while a player throws an elbow at an opponent's head off the ball and gets a week. WTF is going on.

If you watch Charlie's tackle, he just pins the arms. There is no pushing over, no sling. The defender is pulling backwards trying to get away and falls to the ground. The MRO needs disbanding.
I'm not sure he even pinned the arms after watching a couple of replays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS the way I saw it was as if Duggan pulled him down with his body weight as both had hold, unreal.

I enjoyed that. Thought we'd win by more, probably should have. I don't think we were ever in any real danger of losing that. Found a way to bite back every time. I didn't think the Eagles spirit and pressure would last 4qtrs but it did. Kudos to them. Yeo and the kid were very good. If they get a cpl more quality mids to help them out, they will improve quick.

Berry was big early, tackled everything everywhere. Feeding off the ball quick and efficient. Big O I thought won the ruck overall. He's had a huge month or so, and been the lone ruck most of the season. If he's looking tired, I think maybe he is. Brain was good. He's definitely made the elevation to depth from rookie. I thought Joyce was solid. Did his job admirably. I didn't notice any big costly errors. A few kicks under pressure turned over, but a lot players did too. Better games from the whipped 4, Bailey, McKenna, Charlie and Rayner. Some reaching strong performances. Ashcroft taking a bit of time to find form and fit in and Morris looking like he needs a freshen up. Bombing long to packs and 2 on 1's far too often, again. Neale, Dunkley, Andrews, Zorko, Clugg, leading by example.

Winning ugly but confidently, if that makes sense. Like we're going to speculate, take risks, make errors but still be able to knuckle in and bite back when needed. I'm going to enjoy a good away win against a team that really dug in, the fact we have no injuries, and the position we've climbed to, before contemplating Sydney. Just for a little while.
Oscar had 9 clearances, our 2nd most behind Neale, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if need be, but I don't think any of his hack kicks forward resulted in intercept marks as was happening a lot earlier in the year.

Without seeing any down-the-ground footage you would like to think that our forwards have learned the importance of playing in front at centre bounces. Particularly in those slippery conditions.

Oscar had 9 clearances, our 2nd most behind Neale, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if need be, but I don't think any of his hack kicks forward resulted in intercept marks as was happening a lot earlier in the year.

Without seeing any down-the-ground footage you would like to think that our forwards have learned the importance of playing in front at centre bounces. Particularly in those slippery conditions.
I reckon it's just flukey where those hack kicks go and might have a lot to do with your opposition as to whether they pay off or not.

But overall you'd much rather Oscar getting a hack kick clearance than the opposition getting the clearance so we take our chances that we're good enough to read the play and as you inferred playing in front gives you at least a 60-70% chance.

Could Brisbane ask Duggan to testify in defence of Charlie (if he agrees that he contributed to it by pulling Charlie) or would the tribunal just dismiss it and ignore it out of hand?
I think they changed the rules a few years ago so that the "victim" player couldn't give any evidence.

Thought Ashcroft was decent, but without having seen a replay I think his defensive intent needs a bit of realignment.
I’ve noticed this since we drafted him. If he’s in the play and given the opportunity to, his tackling is very very good. However if it looks like he can’t impact he seems to jog behind rather than put in a desperate chase in case the opposition pulls up or hesitates.

There is a big problem with the way suspensions are being handed out.

They are all based on outcomes rather than actions. Gerard Healy quite eloquently summed it up on "Sportsday" on SEN earlier tonight.

Toby Bedford (GWS) has also been handed a 3 match suspension for a perfectly legitimate tackle on Taranto (Richmond).

Like the Charlie tackle ,the outcome is an unfortunate accident but of course in the un-nuanced world of Michael Christian and the AFL's attitude towards concussions, someone has to pay!!

The reality is though, that there are many "dangerous" actions that occur in the course of an AFL game.

Why limit it just to head trauma?

If suspensions are now based on outcomes rather than legal actions, Darcy Moore should have got 12 months for nearly killing Petracca with his intentional raised knees in round 13. A few weeks later, he was at it again when he took out Witts, taking him out of the game with the same action and resulting in Witts getting a cracked vertebrae.

Reaction from the Melbourne media?....."aw shucks , we can't take the high mark out of the game"

Except that Moore wasn't attempting a high mark at all. He was "attempting" defensive spoil in both cases.

One of the "best" interceptor markers in the game "accidentally" does that twice?

Hell, Harris Andrews could take out every other forward in the game if he smashed them with raised knees every time there was a marking contest.

In any case, I'm flat out remembering the last time a "high flying" forward maimed an opponent with his knees in a marking "contest"

There is so much hypocrisy in the AFL.

The head is "sacrosanct" but other parts of the body are fair game....apparently

Gut punches, chicken wing tackles, squirrel grips,

Give them a nudge , nudge, wink, wink fine and play on

I’ve noticed this since we drafted him. If he’s in the play and given the opportunity to, his tackling is very very good. However if it looks like he can’t impact he seems to jog behind rather than put in a desperate chase in case the opposition pulls up or hesitates.
Yes. But I don't think his tackling has been quite on the money since his return. Hopefully it's just a matter of time and this is being brought to his attention.

It's worth noting that guys like Hipwood and Rayner really did take 12 months+ of actually playing at AFL level after their ACL's to show signs of hitting their straps properly.

Glad we survived that. Hopefully we can get on the first plane out of there and don’t have to travel back to Perth for the rest of the year.

Its the first time the Lions have played the Eagles at Optus ever.

Consider it good training for playing at the MCG in finals versus a Vic side.

Wet wewther early kept the Eagles in it, everyone fumbles in the wet so a lessor team willing to presure and chase has half a chance of making it a closer game. If it was a dry fast track you would have fkogged them.

All comes back to my (ongoing) concerns about our last quarters. Currently we're 14th for last quarters, at 93.6%. In fact our quarters get progressively worse. Our 1st quarters are league best at 165.5%. 2nd we're #3 at 126.4%. 3rd we're #9 at 104.8%. It's a pretty clear and alarming trend, and one a strong opposition will seek to take advantage of.
I know that you want it to be, but it is not physical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back