Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure these are written by the local guy who basically deals with the home teams week in and out so there's a fair degree of bias generally in the write up.
Yes I'm aware of that but I don't think that same level of bias comes when fish is reporting on our or the Sun's games for AFL.com.au

Yes I'm aware of that but I don't think that same level of bias comes when fish is reporting on our or the Sun's games for AFL.com.au
That's because Fish is a half decent journalist

Bit of biased reporting from Schmook on afl.com.au 'They looked the better team for most of the quarter in all areas except the stoppages, but the Lions took their chances with back-to-back goals, receiving a gift when Harley Reid drifted innocently into the protected area and sent Cameron close to the goal line.' and 'The team was without co-captain Liam Duggan for three quarters after the midfielder suffered concussion in a dangerous tackle from Lion s' forward Charlie Cameron.'

It was a gift care of Harley Reid's stupidity. Nothing to do with umpiring

Thought that was similar to the Adelaide game in that we just kept them at arm's length the entire game. They never got closer than that 10-15 margin, and we'd inevitably respond to their challenge with a goal. In saying that the fourth quarter was more on their terms than ours.

Loved how Fletcher and Kai stood up in the fourth. Joyce responded to the Melbourne game as well as we could've hoped.

Reading the tea leaves I'd say Brain will stay in and McKenna will be dropped

Last edited:
Match Report on the AFL website, written by Nathan Schmook claims that, “The team was without co-captain Liam Duggan for three quarters after the midfielder suffered concussion in a dangerous tackle from Lion’s forward Charlie Cameron.”

Dangerous tackle? No free kick paid. Watching the vision, Cameron has hold of Duggan, who then pulls Cameron to the ground. Duggan whacks his head, but there is no way that Cameron’s tackle could be characterised as “dangerous”.

If that's a dangerous tackle than a dozen kids or more would get suspended every week in junior footy. In fact junior footy has worst tackles than the AFL.

AFL.com.au's Brownlow predictor (which correctly picked Neale last year) has Cripps, Neale and Daicos getting 3 votes each in round 18. For a leaderboard of:
  1. Cripps 25
  2. Neale 23
  3. Daicos 22.
Find it hard to believe Cripps and Daicos would both poll 3s in losing games.

C'mon it's Crippa's 200th !!
Umpires will do a solid for him as a gift !

Probably the highlight other than securing the four points was to see Joyce play his role as required.

No team at the moment is flying but I think we are one of the more consistent teams at the moment. May take McKenna up until finals to get his mojo back. If players have slow starts to the year they just can't flick a switch at this level.

Probably the highlight other than securing the four points was to see Joyce play his role as required.

No team at the moment is flying but I think we are one of the more consistent teams at the moment. May take McKenna up until finals to get his mojo back. If players have slow starts to the year they just can't flick a switch at this level.

Wasn't totally happy the way we used him. Played Joyce on the weakest tall forward while Andrews and Lester coughed up goals and weren't at their best with their intercepting against Allen and Waterman

Joyce has better disposal than Payne and I thought played a good game. Would still prefer in form Payne of course but very happy for Joyce that he played well against a very good forward line.

THE GOOD

Just getting the win - massive danger game. Crowd were desperate for some momentum at various times. They were never out of it but we never let them get ahead after the first goal.

Neale - just gone to another level. My only worry is he usually struggles a bit with a tag, and surely he gets more attention int the big games / finals coming up. I hope we are ready to either help him or not rely on him as much

Joyce - much improved performance. He is no Payne but showed he should be able to hold the fort. Still think we need Payne back though because it frees up Harris so much.

Coach and MC keeping their head - i don't agree with everything they have done / are doing. But Fagan clearly kept confidence high during the bye and we haven't lost since. Deserves credit.

Lohman - he just has it. steps up in big moments. would have liked his two tricky set shots to get closer - something he can work on to get to the next level - but what a sliding doors moment that we hung on to him against the odds last year.

THE BAD

The start of the last quarter - we got completely owned after the first 5 minutes, beginning with a really bad set shot from bailey, then letting them go end to end. Hutchinson i think missed a shot that would have really made it interesting. We did from then on control it pretty well tbf

Bailey - he is just off. Should be looking to hand off more near goal because his radar is broken. Get back to form with some selfless acts rather than trying to be the main man

Gassed players? Not sure Logan has much in him but we could be without charlie so do re give him a break? Zorko could do with a rest, ditto Oscar. Unfortunately we have no margin for error and no easy games so i can't see it happening.

THE UGLY

Our defence - namely the team / field defence. We are clearly doing 2 things to my eye. Letting the opposition players in midfield get way too much space. And then over-committing by having the next bloke upfield run at the ball carrier and leave his man, allowing a guaranteed deep 50 entry. It was under 12s stuff at times.

Our Start This year - the frustrating thing is we are one of the form teams in the comp and yet still in an absolute scrap for finals and top 4. If we lost yesterday we would have been 9th. Swans next off the Perth trip, then the Suns who are undefeated at home. We need to go to another level and we might have some tired boys. I still think we might look back at our start and think it cost us a shot at the flag in 2024. The pre finals bye will be a godsend if we make it there.

Our use of the sub - I guess the argument is wait for an injury. but i reckon when a bloke comes up halfway through the last quarter they just can't get warm. Waiting until the other side had a run on was so reactive. 3QT nice lead, get another runner on in Reville, take off Morris.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't totally happy the way we used him. Played Joyce on the weakest tall forward while Andrews and Lester coughed up goals and weren't at their best with their intercepting against Allen and Waterman
Hopefully that shifts as he plays more games. You don't want the least experienced guy in first (or second) game in being absolutely demoralized by their best forward, so we lose a little from Froggy and Harris, to protect the Joyce while he gets some confidence.
Froggy over the past few weeks has looked a bit more exposed, but he's almost a 200-game player so should be able to sacrifice his game for the good of the team. Harris has leaked a few goals, but he can't be everywhere.

I think it is what it is when you’re having to play a fifth or sixth string defensive option. He did well relative to that + the Eagles having really good tall forwards.

Bit of biased reporting from Schmook on afl.com.au 'They looked the better team for most of the quarter in all areas except the stoppages, but the Lions took their chances with back-to-back goals, receiving a gift when Harley Reid drifted innocently into the protected area and sent Cameron close to the goal line.' and 'The team was without co-captain Liam Duggan for three quarters after the midfielder suffered concussion in a dangerous tackle from Lion s' forward Charlie Cameron.'
Yeah that was just stupid by Reid and it can't be seen as any other way IMO. He probably would have gotten away with it, if he hadn't of called for the ball.

I wouldn't read too much into it, perhaps using "innocent" as a noun, rather than as an adjective:

adjective: innocent
1. not guilty of a crime or offence.

noun: innocent; plural noun: innocents
1. a pure, guileless, or naive person.

I'm looking a naive. Young player, guilty of the offence, but hasn't played enough games to know any better.

AFL.com.au's Brownlow predictor (which correctly picked Neale last year) has Cripps, Neale and Daicos getting 3 votes each in round 18. For a leaderboard of:
  1. Cripps 25
  2. Neale 23
  3. Daicos 22.
Daicos seems to be getting votes on a heap of different awards for racking up huge amounts of the ball no matter how much he burns the ball. Reckon he will get all the sympathy votes from umpires while not noticing that his disposal is not as great once he has started playing on ball

I wouldn't read too much into it, perhaps using "innocent" as a noun, rather than as an adjective:

adjective: innocent
1. not guilty of a crime or offence.

noun: innocent; plural noun: innocents
1. a pure, guileless, or naive person.

I'm looking a naive. Young player, guilty of the offence, but hasn't played enough games to know any better.
Not sure I'd call him guileless or naive with how much he was talking. Definitely has big tickets on himself and thought the umpires were giving him a fair bit of superstar treatment most of the rest of the game

Daicos seems to be getting votes on a heap of different awards for racking up huge amounts of the ball no matter how much he burns the ball. Reckon he will get all the sympathy votes from umpires while not noticing that his disposal is not as great once he has started playing on ball

I don't think Daicos has many teammates stealing votes off him

I don't think Daicos has many teammates stealing votes off him
To be fair that is also why Neale tends to do so well. But being clearly the best mid ina good team gets you 3 votes. Being the best mid in a losing team might get you 1 or 2 at best

1. Cripps 25
  2. Neale 23
  3. Daicos 22.

Cripps “won” the Brownlow in 2022 after polling 3 votes in a losing game, Rd 23 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2024 - West Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back