Preview Round 18: North Melbourne vs Essendon, Carrara, Sunday 18/07/2021 @ 12.35PM

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the animosity, I know there were issues in ye olden days but for the most part our clubs have never really been up around the same period of time outside of a few years in the late 90s. I think most rivalries form out of prolonged periods of competition.

I think negative people want something negative to focus on. I guess some people need to stoke that fire to get enjoyment from the game. It would be sad if we let those people dictate the discourse. I think it is toxic and would prefer there was more sane discussions between supporters of our clubs.

I think it's the BigFooty echo chamber. I don't feel any sort of joy when North lose against other teams, unlike Hawthorn who I'm happy to watch lose time and time again, but that comes from mostly having to deal with too many Hawks supporters in high school many many many years ago... Your board is fun to read after a loss to Essendon.

I think it's the BigFooty echo chamber. I don't feel any sort of joy when North lose against other teams, unlike Hawthorn who I'm happy to watch lose time and time again, but that comes from mostly having to deal with too many Hawks supporters in high school many many many years ago... Your board is fun to read after a loss to Essendon.
Agree! When Hawks & Carlton lose, it literally makes my weekend. North not so much, probably more so due to my care factor being zero tbh.

As much as I was impressed with that win and consider it as a sign that their rebuild is on the right track - I haven't forgotten 2014 and the aftermath, and I want nothing but

herb-garlic-kangaroo-steak.png

Come on man, beating the Weagles in Perth is easy. All good teams can do it
903832fa67001a06fa739ab462ca93f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh look.

Somebody is up and about this morning.

Nice to see I am still living rent free in their heads after all these years.

Possibly around 10-11 years ago (maybe longer?), when I was clearly considerably younger, I made a passing comment in a thread about how it would be great if the Dons beat North as it was fixtured on my birthday. Yeah, juvenile... because I was at the time. It didn't happen and clearly been a source of much amusement since.

My Dad and one of my brothers support North. I have nothing against them... but as I said before our game earlier in the year, they are (comfortably) the most toxic supporter base on Bigfooty and other forms of social media. Away from the keyboard? I've never had an issue.

I hope we beat them like any team we play against.

Similarly to Tas I believe that this whole rivarly junk is well... junk. The behaviour displayed by North fans in the round 10 preview was all of concerning, cringe and funny.

Most Essendon fans are sympathetic/neutral to North fans at times, particularly in last night's game where a fair amount celebrated the win. I can't help but feel a bit more nice towards your mob.

Also on the note of the North board. Much better place without ChoppyGun or Snake now that both are gone but our fan base's reputation on this site is ruined by a few nuffies on the main board.

Similarly to Tas I believe that this whole rivarly junk is well... junk. The behaviour displayed by North fans in the round 10 preview was all of concerning, cringe and funny.

Most Essendon fans are sympathetic/neutral to North fans at times, particularly in last night's game where a fair amount celebrated the win. I can't help but feel a bit more nice towards your mob.

Also on the note of the North board. Much better place without ChoppyGun or Snake now that both are gone but our fan base's reputation on this site is ruined by a few nuffies on the main board.
I luv yas all, it was West Coast for christ sake.

Watching Hooks last game was like watching that vision of the marathon runner who could see the finish line but his legs were saying 'sorry old mate we're done'

Missing a lot of our first choice mids now the cupboard is pretty bare.

Shiel, McGrath, Caldwell and Langford.
Starting to feel like Heppell has to go in.

Missing a lot of our first choice mids now the cupboard is pretty bare.

Shiel, McGrath, Caldwell and Langford.

So true. Our starting mids will be - Stringer, Parish and Merrett which is very strong - it’s just the rotations through there that’s the worry. Heppell, Smith and Snelling will all get minutes - but it’s the big bodies we lack. I wonder if we could get Dylan Clarke in for this game - might be an option…??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So true. Our starting mids will be - Stringer, Parish and Merrett which is very strong - it’s just the rotations through there that’s the worry. Heppell, Smith and Snelling will all get minutes - but it’s the big bodies we lack. I wonder if we could get Dylan Clarke in for this game - might be an option…??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Waterman will see minutes

Yes, Stewart joined for the 2017 seasons.

I wasn't saying Stewart was literally a tall flanker, in the sense that was the expectation of him, it was that he played like a flanker because he couldn't really hold a contested mark (or most marks cleanly).

He played some good footy for us in 2017 but it was as a flanker, he certainly wasn't taking a lot of contested marks. There was 1 or 2 games at the end of 2017 (GC and Fremantle I think) when he played out of the square and started to look the part but, even then, still double grabbing.

Early in 2018 he was playing a deeper role, starting really well against Adelaide, but he lost touch and then developed that awful stutter and then couldn't hit the side of a barn.

2019 was ruined by OP but there were small glimpses of the development in an early VFL match or 2. He's been able to cleanly mark the ball since.

Wright starts from a higher base but he's 7th year (whereas Stewart was 4th when he joined). I think that's probably not relevant because Wright ultimately needs game time to consolidate improvement. I can't say there has been a lot of noticeable improvement in Wright's marking and body work. He seems to flash in and out.

I don’t know if it makes Wright less likely to improve or not but I don’t think Stewart’s weaknesses are quite the same as Wright’s.

Stewart had concrete hands and lacked body size whereas Wright has a high centre of gravity and is too easily knocked off the line of the ball.

How to hold your body in the contest is something that generally improves with experience but my worry is Wright often looks like he isn’t even trying at times.

Ben Brown and the McKay twins have similar issues to Wright and are still effective as forwards.

I can see guys like Dylan Clarke getting a game in order to get a mature body through the midfield.

We need Stringer forward, hopefully we see a bit of Perkins through the guts.

Norfs midfield is actually one of their strengths, this is going to be far more uncomfortable then i suspect others might think it will be.

I can see guys like Dylan Clarke getting a game in order to get a mature body through the midfield.

We need Stringer forward, hopefully we see a bit of Perkins through the guts.

Norfs midfield is actually one of their strengths, this is going to be far more uncomfortable then i suspect others might think it will be.
Our record at Marvel is strong though. Think our only loss is to Hawf and that was round 1 and shouldn't have happened. Will be a tougher match than last time against this mob but coming off 9 day break to their 5.5 days from the West in a wet slog, there are no excuses. Stringer is going to have to do a bit of everything - as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back