silk

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Round 19 sees us back at Marvel Stadium to face the Adelaide Crows in another must-win game as they have all essentially become thanks to the position we find ourselves. You know the same old position we’re always in every ****en year. As usual a middle-of-the-road finish, for a shitty pick that won’t turn into anything special, more learnings I mean I bet media outlets don’t even write the preseason stories about Essendon each year, they could literally just change the names and run the same shitty sorties about how we’re training better than ever, ready to tackle the season, learnt from the mistakes of the past, blahdy-****en-dah; no one would notices if they did.

Writing previews in the second half of the season isn’t fun… the faux positiveness I muster as the start of a season dies around round. I said the Geelong game was the real test this season, and I stand by it. They have been a catalyst for us for 10 years or so. They killed our season. It’s ok.. Pick 10 or 11 or whatnot will net us another Archie Perkins.. All aboard the “Essendon ride of broken dreams”
AD_4nXfjVntcEngqexhss9xEWgTtgjWBnN5pqimZ3Mo3c96ne-IX6JWPCUnz0wG98SVIFaPJg-ckbSx1FVSTKoYnQIqMoIc89UJKzmu-aXmUUFYr0ankl5lVkxji0BqhcgED7rsFTtOf6Rg5fjvTFMhJkWKeVRIJ

The Round Before The Round That Was

We have 1 best-22 player on the injury list.. Melbourne played without a recognised ruckmen… and yet somehow lost this at the selection table… apparently we don’t watch the weather report.. We all know who the club needs to call..
AD_4nXfkht5qL9mh9rD4ao28o8pSmQ2exNjTbdQ3GcVyJUq7eGEQ7JOVpkgRNnQTSeGcdv4IGqIT1Z7LrCxZvsxBh9Z_tT650DfwsCE5TO_uoIFCc-mxHFN21N1SyzpOlUZyKhUqhfXoRjMmwlNHIo4CNQ_bqbU

Seriously though.. What ****en group of idiots can look at the weather, see the rain coming and go hmm.. Bring in Heppell, who must have a 0% percent winning ratio in wet games, and let's keep all of Jones, Caddy, Wright and Cox, in the team. Oh and lets play a dysfunctional forward line that relies on marking to get goal attempts even though it’s failed over and over in dry weather, cause somehow they’ll magically start marking it in the rain.. Hobbs Tsatas Davey Setterfield - Groundball players - Roberts youthful energy and speed..

Richmond has a Dustin Martin dilemma. He is nearing the end of his career and plays in a way that can sometimes be detrimental to the team, but still have the capability of being a match winner on his day. Martin is a Brownlow medallist, 3 x Norma Smith medallist, Best and Fairest winner in a premiership year, 4 x All Australian, AFLPA MVP and of course a 3 times premiership player. I totally understand why Richmond has a Dustin Martin dilemma.

Essendon have a Dyson Heppell dilemma.. Dyson has an All Australian and…. was the CA young player of the year once upon a time. Dyson is legit on of the best blokes off the footy field, but he is adding nothing to this team, even if he is having his best year so far.

Oh, and what a ****en surprise that Nic Martin starting dominating up foward in a game where goals where going to come from scrappy moments.. What a ****en suprise!!!!

MELBOURNE 3.2 6.6 8.6 13.6 (84)
ESSENDON 3.3 4.5 5.7 10.7 (67)

GOALS
Melbourne: Turner 3, Fritsch 3, Melksham 2, Pickett 2, Chandler, Windsor, Langford
Essendon: Martin 4, Langford 2, Duursma 2, Durham, Jones

BEST
Melbourne: Rivers, Oliver, Langdon, Melksham, Windsor, Pickett
Essendon: Ridley, Martin, Merrett, McKay, Shiel

INJURIES
Melbourne: Nil
Essendon: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Melbourne: Taj Woewodin (replaced Moniz-Wakefield in the fourth quarter)
Essendon: Nick Hind (replaced Peter Wright in the third quarter)

Crowd: 52,866 at the MCG

Adelaide on the other hand spanked the Saint on their home deck in an ominous sign for this weeks game.

ADELAIDE 2.1 5.5 6.10 10.11 (71)
ST KILDA 3.3 4.7 5.8 5.9 (39)

GOALS
Adelaide: Thilthorpe 2, Sholl 2, Murphy, Keays, Himmelberg, Fogarty, Dowling, Rachele
St Kilda: Wood 2, Sharman 2, Phillipou

BEST
Adelaide: Dawson, Laird, Sholl, Keays, Taylor
St Kilda: Marshall, Phillipou, Clark, Wanganeen-Milera

INJURIES
Adelaide: TBC
St Kilda: Battle (leg)

SUBSTITUTES
Adelaide: Riley Thilthorpe, replaced Elliott Himmelberg at three-quarter time.
St Kilda: Ben Paton, replaced Riley Bonner in the fourth quarter.

Crowd: 34,549 at Adelaide Oval

The Last Time We Met

Ahh, yes, the belly flop game.
AD_4nXcnz9dAiApEXkVCUQOf_EymQ2aAN8r_NnhC-mXx_o_SjTsdTPEDE7dH8RyAu9l5ARmUjqZEGqPrr2jsv4xsPRDhq2VT5kFgJTSiOQpxOvmlaHnmaR-C-QiY0R52kynJQZUxcXBKVSf5HaR12UIoahmGOMbx

ADELAIDE 2.2 5.4 9.5 11.9 (75)
ESSENDON 2.4 5.9 8.14 10.18 (78)

GOALS
Adelaide: Dawson 2, Keays 2, Walker, Jones, Fogarty, Soligo, Rachele, McHenry, Rankine
Essendon: Jones 2, Langford 2, Gresham, Parish, Hobbs, Stringer, Merrett, Martin

BEST
Adelaide: Dawson, Soligo, Hinge, O'Brien, Rachele
Essendon: Merrett, Martin, Caldwell, Hobbs, Gresham

INJURIES
Adelaide: None
Essendon: None

SUBSTITUTES
Adelaide: Lachlan Sholl (replaced Sam Berry in the third quarter)
Essendon: Elijah Tsatas (replaced Nick Hind in the fourth quarter)

Crowd: 46,700 at Adelaide Oval

The Selection Table

Possible Outs -

Perkins - Stop giving him a free ride - On this list every week for the past month because he simply isn’t performing.
Hind - Can’t be sub 3 times and had no impact as sub last two weeks anyways
Cox - Has no real role in this team currently, specially if Jones is to keep playing wing
Heppell - Make the call buddy, please.
Wright - Sick of waiting for the 1 good game in 4 this guy plays
Draper - For every good thing he does in the game, he seems to do something stupid which costs us goals.
One of Langford/Stringer - Seriously, If you don’t drop wright, need one of these guys out of that forward and there is no where else for them to play
Kelly - Yeah, he threw the game away when it was still in the balance, with one of the shittiest laziest kicks you’ll ever see. But for mine it's a team balance thing.

Possible Ins - (Will update after the VFL Game)
Roberts - Give him Martin’s spot, play Martin on the HFF
Hobbs - Dominated the VFL - Earned a recall
Menzies - Wish I was putting Davey here in stead, but Jayden needs to build fitness and ADJ didn't play well enough.
Lav - Straight back-in, otherwise Weid is the next in line..

My Prediction - We’re done. Crows will murder us. (Pun intended)

Adelaide by 48

Last edited:

Wholesale changes

Hope we hold a few over

Sick of guys playing one week and then not the next. This is a rage post

In: Laverde, Hind, Setterfield, Goldstein, Hobbs

Out: Kelly, Cox, Heppell, Gresham, 2MP

Back 7: Ridley, Mckay, Lav, Redman, Mcgrath, Martin and Hind

Would love to try get Martin forward a bit more, but we dont have the quality or depth down back without Kelly and Heppell

Wholesale changes

Hope we hold a few over

Sick of guys playing one week and then not the next. This is a rage post

In: Laverde, Hind, Setterfield, Goldstein, Hobbs

Out: Kelly, Cox, Heppell, Gresham, 2MP

Back 7: Ridley, Mckay, Lav, Redman, Mcgrath, Martin and Hind

Would love to try get Martin forward a bit more, but we dont have the quality or depth down back without Kelly and Heppell

Brad could just be courageous. Move Caldwell there and bring in Setterfield or Hobbs who are proven afl standard mids.

You’d see an improvement at 2 spots (HB and Wing) for minimal drop off in the middle.

Edit:

my post match Best 22 thoughts

Ridley McKay Mcgrath
Caldwell Hayes Redman (Lav)

Martin Merrett Dursma (Jones)
Goldy Durham Sheil (Setterfield)

Roberts Caddy Langford (Hobbs)
Gresham Wright Guelfi

Last edited:
Brad could just be courageous. Move Caldwell there and bring in Setterfield or Hobbs who are proven afl standard mids.

You’d see an improvement at 2 spots (HB and Wing) for minimal drop off in the middle.

Edit:

my post match Best 22 thoughts

Ridley McKay Mcgrath
Caldwell Hayes Redman (Lav)

Martin Merrett Dursma (Jones)
Goldy Durham Sheil (Setterfield)

Roberts Caddy Langford (Hobbs)
Gresham Wright Guelfi
Your obsession with moving Caldwell to HB is as much of a meme as out: Kelly is at this stage

Outs;
Archie Perkins (omitted)
Peter Wright (omitted)
Matt Guelfi or Jade Gresham (omitted)

INS;
Todd Goldstein
Will Setterfield
Jayden Laverde

True:

It just Sh*** me that it unlocks the whole transition game. Teams been poor at transition all year but won’t move a player because he’s a getting lots of the ball in a position where that’s expected
It doesn't at all. Our transition game offensively isn't too bad. Defensively it is mostly alright but we have bad days like tonight.

There's a reason they're keeping him in the middle, though. It's not about how often he touches it. It's because he's strong defensively, both in transition and at the stoppage and he does a lot more damage when he's further up the field.

Outs;
Archie Perkins (omitted)
Peter Wright (omitted)
Matt Guelfi or Jade Gresham (omitted)

INS;
Todd Goldstein
Will Setterfield
Jayden Laverde
Only 1 ruck thanks. Cox or Jones can take second ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward line needs to lift - maybe 2MP can have a spell in the reserves - we need to change the dynamic up there..Dont need two rucks - Cox can chop out Draper when he needs a rest that should be fine..Heppell wont get dropped so make him SUB please Brad..!! Setterfield & Hobbs to provide some toughness around the stoppages. We better bloody win this..!!

OUT: Perkins, Hind, 2MP
IN: Setterfield, Hobbs, Lav

Redman McKay Kelly
Ridley Lav McGrath
Martin Caldwell Duursma
Guelfi Jones Gresham
Langford Caddy Stringer

Draper Durham Merrett

Bench: Setterfield Shiel Hobbs Cox
SUB: Heppell

Last edited:
Wright should be dropped but it will be hard decision for Scott given its Marvel and we need him to find some form. I'd say he stays in.

We were poor last night but its just that sort of season and we are no juggernaut. I think we will bounce back and have a solid win.

Wright should be dropped but it will be hard decision for Scott given its Marvel and we need him to find some form. I'd say he stays in.

We were poor last night but its just that sort of season and we are no juggernaut. I think we will bounce back and have a solid win.

I hope you are right and we bounce back...yeah if we dont drop 2MP maybe Cox comes out instead...hopefully the likes of Setterfield/Hobbs/Tsatas/Roberts put up their hands in the reserves today...

It doesn't at all. Our transition game offensively isn't too bad. Defensively it is mostly alright but we have bad days like tonight.

There's a reason they're keeping him in the middle, though. It's not about how often he touches it. It's because he's strong defensively, both in transition and at the stoppage and he does a lot more damage when he's further up the field.

I very much disagree that our transition game isn’t too bad. If it was better we’d not have an awful percentage from barely scraping wins.

The reason coaches don’t move Calders to HB is a fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of VORP, and trying to shoehorn in players that don’t fit because they like them.

If the coaching group thinks competent defensive running from an inside mid is worth giving up AA production on the wing thats mind blowing for me.

Especially with Setterfield and Hobbs in the VFL and whose bread and butter is inside hardness.

Because that’s the choice being made. It’s Cox/Kelly on the wing (who aren’t good there) over Hobbs/Setters on the inside.

As far as Calders damage up the feild. He’s been better This year for sure but he’s not close to Nick Martin as a wing/forward which is what you’re gaining by moving Caldwell to HB.

Martins the type of player who can kick a bag as a wing and we’re playing him at HB because he needed to get better playing that part of his wing role (great success) so now he’s developed that part of his game he’s ready to go back.

Problem is Essendon don’t have a spare AFL standard HB’s in the VFL otherwise they could just come in. What they do have is some inside mids hence the reshuffle.

The other thing to note is HB is one of the most important attacking positions on the ground as it allows you to get the ball out of your back half easily when you have a good one and set up for front half footy. Caldwells ball use would be more damaging there in the QB role then as an inside mid.

I very much disagree that our transition game isn’t too bad. If it was better we’d not have an awful percentage from barely scraping wins.

The reason coaches don’t move Calders to HB is a fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of VORP, and trying to shoehorn in players that don’t fit because they like them.

If the coaching group thinks competent defensive running from an inside mid is worth giving up AA production on the wing thats mind blowing for me.

Especially with Setterfield and Hobbs in the VFL and whose bread and butter is inside hardness.

Because that’s the choice being made. It’s Cox/Kelly on the wing (who aren’t good there) over Hobbs/Setters on the inside.

As far as Calders damage up the feild. He’s been better This year for sure but he’s not close to Nick Martin as a wing/forward which is what you’re gaining by moving Caldwell to HB.

Martins the type of player who can kick a bag as a wing and we’re playing him at HB because he needed to get better playing that part of his wing role (great success) so now he’s developed that part of his game he’s ready to go back.

Problem is Essendon don’t have a spare AFL standard HB’s in the VFL otherwise they could just come in. What they do have is some inside mids hence the reshuffle.

The other thing to note is HB is one of the most important attacking positions on the ground as it allows you to get the ball out of your back half easily when you have a good one and set up for front half footy. Caldwells ball use would be more damaging there in the QB role then as an inside mid.
Does not work for me. Caldwell is an inside midfielder. His kicking efficiency has always been around the above average range . I think you are over rating Caldwell's ball use. They are temporally giving up what Martin gives on the wing for now but Caldwell is not the answer for me .

Does not work for me. Caldwell is an inside midfielder. His kicking efficiency has always been around the above average range . I think you are over rating Caldwell's ball use. They are temporally giving up what Martin gives on the wing for now but Caldwell is not the answer for me .

Caldwells use is competent which to me is an improvement over every other option on the team. Off half back you normally get more space and easier kicks. Which improves efficiency.

I’m under no illusions that he becomes an elite kick. He just has to be better then McGrath, Redman, Hind, Heppell, Kelly to be an improvement and he clearly is.

Then there’s the off-season to try and upgrade that spot. Which is the easiest spot in the AFL to fill.

I just think if you have a chance to make finals you shouldn’t be giving up the production difference between Martin and Kelly/Cox to stifle the development of Hobbs if you’re trying to build a successful program.

Caldwells use is competent which to me is an improvement over every other option on the team. Off half back you normally get more space and easier kicks. Which improves efficiency.

I’m under no illusions that he becomes an elite kick. He just has to be better then McGrath, Redman, Hind, Heppell, Kelly to be an improvement and he clearly is.

Then there’s the off-season to try and upgrade that spot. Which is the easiest spot in the AFL to fill.

I just think if you have a chance to make finals you shouldn’t be giving up the production difference between Martin and Kelly/Cox to stifle the development of Hobbs if you’re trying to build a successful program.
Kelly has been playing back pocket anyway so is no longer in the conversation. He only ever started on the wing so he could slide back and cover for Martin.
You think it is the easiest spot in the AFL to fill ? You need skill , quick thinking , some speed and defensive ability / transition.
Long term playing Martin at half back will make him a better player in the same way it has for Nick Daicos and harry Sheezal.
I would sooner look at Perkins at half back.
Inside midfielders are not half backs. Pressure forwards maybe but not half backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back