Preview Round 19 - Essendon VS Adelaide, Marvel, Friday 19/7/24, 7:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly has been playing back pocket anyway so is no longer in the conversation. He only ever started on the wing so he could slide back and cover for Martin.
You think it is the easiest spot in the AFL to fill ? You need skill , quick thinking , some speed and defensive ability / transition.
Long term playing Martin at half back will make him a better player in the same way it has for Nick Daicos and harry Sheezal.
I would sooner look at Perkins at half back.
Inside midfielders are not half backs. Pressure forwards maybe but not half backs.

Saying inside Mids aren’t HBs feels like massaging definitions to suit a narative.
Daicos/Sheezel. Jordan Dawson, Rory Laird, Callum Mills, Jack Sinclair, Dan Houston, Jack Crisp, Zorko, Angus Brayshaw there’s a clear link/development pathway between HB and midfield.

Sure inside mids like Libba might struggle there, but if you’re a good balanced mid you will be good at HB. You just typically won’t play there because you will typically be better/have a bigger impact on ball.

And it is the easiest spot to fill. It’s where failed pressure forwards who can’t kick goals go to revive their career because you get more space/time than any other position on the field. Just need above average skills and speed to be able to play relatively mistake free footy and your set.

As far as Kelly goes. Kelly playing Back Pocket pushes McGrath up the ground which has its own issues. McGrath has been better this year but he’s no where near skilled enough to be the primary HB distributor.

Long term the list has clear skill and balance issues. To me that’s an off-season issue. You can only pick the best combination of players you have access to.

My early thoughts:

Out: Heppell, Kelly, Perkins, Gresham
In: Laverde, Roberts, Davey Jr, Menzie

Ridley - McKay - McGrath
Redman - Laverde - Roberts
Jones - Merrett - Duursma
Davey - Wright - Guelfi
Hind - Caddy - Langford
Draper - Caldwell - Durham
Cox - Stringer - Shiel - Martin
Menzie

Cox is D7 due to Adelaide's height up front. Martin wing rotation. Get more speed and defensive pressure I50.

In: Setterfield , Davey, Roberts, Laverde.
Out: Perkins, Heppell, Gresham, Kelly.

*I'd consider Cox full forward, 2MP bench.
*We seem better with Setters shielding our other mids.

I think this is going to be a very difficult game again and I find it hard for us to get up based on last night. I'm hoping for a Collingwood-esque response.

B McGrath McKay Ridley
HB Hind Laverde Redman
C Duursma Durham Martin
HF Merrett Jones Langford
F Gresham Wright Stringer
R Draper Caldwell Shiel
INT Guelfi Caddy Roberts Hobbs
SUB Cox

OUT Heppell Kelly Perkins

IN Laverde Roberts Hobbs

Last edited:
Simply can’t keep playing either of Heppell or Perkins. One is unfortunately very finished and a liability, and the other is hopelessly out of form.

Bit up in the air from there. You could obviously go Wright, but he probably gets another go back in the cosy conditions of Marvel.

I’d like to see Roberts get a go. Laverde probably just straight gets Heppell’s spot, and I’d be okay with Roberts getting Perkins.

The reality is we have a bloody gaping hole in our team in terms of any sort of quality of goal kicking small forwards, and it’s a huge barrier - one we can’t really address in season.

Roberts, setterfield, laverde.

Heppel, perkins, cox or Wright.

Still think room for one of kelly or heppel. But both should never play in the same team again.

Think a few few options we could go with this week.

Wright is lucky but I'm reluctant to take Jones off the wing. I actually love Jones and cox as wings just not in the wet. So dumb as it totally negated the advantage.

Think some of Cox and heppels efforts deserved a week in the 2s.

Unfortunately, think it will be Wright for goldy. Kelly for laverde.

However probably only 2 games that Scott has got it really wrong, so let's back any changes in and not lose it until 11pm Friday night this week.

Saying inside Mids aren’t HBs feels like massaging definitions to suit a narative.
Daicos/Sheezel. Jordan Dawson, Rory Laird, Callum Mills, Jack Sinclair, Dan Houston, Jack Crisp, Zorko, Angus Brayshaw there’s a clear link/development pathway between HB and midfield.

Sure inside mids like Libba might struggle there, but if you’re a good balanced mid you will be good at HB. You just typically won’t play there because you will typically be better/have a bigger impact on ball.

And it is the easiest spot to fill. It’s where failed pressure forwards who can’t kick goals go to revive their career because you get more space/time than any other position on the field. Just need above average skills and speed to be able to play relatively mistake free footy and your set.

As far as Kelly goes. Kelly playing Back Pocket pushes McGrath up the ground which has its own issues. McGrath has been better this year but he’s no where near skilled enough to be the primary HB distributor.

Long term the list has clear skill and balance issues. To me that’s an off-season issue. You can only pick the best combination of players you have access to.
Most of the players you mentioned are not simply inside midfielders.
Anyway we don’t agree.

Both Scott and Ben Jacobs said the players didn’t comply to their agreed approach against Melbourne. Didn’t stick to structures etc. You would think there will be some repercussions with the selection this week.

Hobbs was rested from the VFL after 3/4, so you’d think he’ll be playing for sure.

In: Laverde, Setterfield, Hobbs
Out: Heppell (re-managed), Perkins, Cox

I think we're at the point that Perkins needs a run in the 2s. And possibly Cox as well. Not sure how Setterfield and Hobbs have been performing in the seconds, but I can't imagine them doing much worse at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both Scott and Ben Jacobs said the players didn’t comply to their agreed approach against Melbourne. Didn’t stick to structures etc. You would think there will be some repercussions with the selection this week.

Hobbs was rested from the VFL after 3/4, so you’d think he’ll be playing for sure.
Based on this the changes will be,

Out: Kelly In: Laverde

Brad will lay down his law

Fear the wrath of Brad come team selection

based off VFL

In: Hayes, Hobbs, Roberts, Laverde

Out: Heppell, Perkins, Cox, Kelly

Ridley McKay McGrath
Redman Hayes Hind
Martin Merrett Dursma
Draper Durham Caldwell
Gresham Caddy Roberts
Langford Wright Guelfi

IC: Laverde Jones Hobbs Sheil
Sub: Stringer

Last edited:
What I think the changes should be:

Out: Kelly, Heppell, Gresham, Perkins
In: Laverde, Hobbs, Menzie, Roberts

What I think the changes will be:

Out: Kelly, Perkins
In: Laverde, Hobbs

Are the coteries still involved in team selection? Might be the only way to explain Hepp and Perkins being permanent rusted-on best 22 regardless of any form

In- Laverde, Roberts, Hobbs, Menzie
Out- Cox, Heppell, Kelly

B- Ridley McKay McGrath
HB- Roberts Laverde Redman
C- Duursma Caldwell Merrett
HF- Martin Jones Stringer
F- Langford Wright Gresham
FOLL- Draper Durham Shiel
I/C- Caddy, Hobbs, Perkins, Menzie
Sub- Hind

Status
Not open for further replies.