Preview Round 2 2018, Brisbane Lions vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruptured ankle ligament does not sound good.......highly doubt Rich be back in a couple of weeks.

I just googled it.....the ligament itself will take at least 6 weeks, building up the strength in the foot will take a lot longer.

Bloody hell:(

Google M.D.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-27/in-the-mix-round-two

You'd assume based off of this that Walker is all clear. Whiting get's good info regarding the Lions. Seems likely it'll just be the two forced changes Rich and Robinson out.

I'm going to guess it'll be-

In: Cutler Bailey
Out: Rich Robinson

Robertson to take Rich's role in the backline-

B: Robertson Andrews Gardiner
HB: Hodge McStay Witherden
C: McCluggage Berry Taylor
HF: Cameron Walker Cutler
FF: Christensen Hipwood Rayner
R: Martin Beams Zorko
I: Bell Lester Mayes Bailey

I'd suggest Bailey will get a debut because Fagan has shown a willingness to blood the high draft picks early and get games into them. Cutler and Bailey would both add some extra foot speed to the side and I'd be curious to see how Cutler goes as a forward playing in the senior's. Bailey would probably be a direct replacement for Robinson playing a similar role as a small, pressure forward with stints in the midfield.
Walker fine...just cramping on game day...No groin injury atm.

My preference would be for Bell to stay in at this stage (as hard as that is for me to say).
Allison for Rich and
Cutler for Robbo.
Nick Robbo to move back to take Rich's spot Allison on the wing and Cuts up forward and bring the forward pressure or straight back to the 2's when Robbos back.

Melbourne has big bodies on every line. Probly can’t not have Bell.
Allison/Cutler/Bailey in.

Not sure where we can beat them and if we afford them the same turnovers like we gave St Kilda on a platter last week then they will pick us apart.

That being said I’m backing Beams and Zorko in to have big games. If we can continue the centre clearance success, make Lever play on a man as Geelong did and we take our chances then we will be in with a shot. Maybe.

Alot of people suggesting we need to keep Bell in because he is a big body. Effectively he not not a big body because he does not use it, not sure him looking big does us much good.

I really rate Allison has too come in.

Ruptured ankle ligament does not sound good.......highly doubt Rich be back in a couple of weeks.

I just googled it.....the ligament itself will take at least 6 weeks, building up the strength in the foot will take a lot longer.

Bloody hell:(

Will be cherry ripe come finals time :)

They havent really told us much about Rich. High ankle sprains usually require surgery with screw fixation so that is unlikely. There are nonoperative options for high ankle sprains but recovery is usually twice as long as a low ankle sprain (around 4-12 weeks). Low ankle sprains if they are low grade (I-II) is usually 1-3 weeks. Grade III is usually 2+ weeks, normally fully recovered by 6 weeks. Depends on rehab mostly. Either way its a good opportunity for one of Allison or Cutler to practice Richs role on the wing and really stake a claim for retaining that wing position. Bailey could also get a shot in that outside position. Maybe even Starcevich will get a run on the wing (or is he more of a contested beast? Im not sure).

Alot of people suggesting we need to keep Bell in because he is a big body. Effectively he not not a big body because he does not use it, not sure him looking big does us much good.

He actually did a bit late in the last game. Once Rich was out and Bell moved into the middle he was using his body well in the middle. He did make more than a few skill errors but he did throw his body into the contest much better than we have seen from him for a long time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our only chance of winning is if Beams and Zorko dominate the middle.

Martin should be able to match Gawn (both are in ripping form), our boys need to start sticking tackles so we don't have to play catch up footy again.

Melbourne still lack class outside midfielders, an area which we can beat them if we break even in the middle. Look for Taylor, Zorko, and Beams for that outside run.

Zorko rarely has 2 quite weeks consecutively, we badly missed his line breaking vs. the Saints. Hopefully Zorks can shake of the rust from round 1, he missed nearly everything when he handled the pill. Similarly Beams made some very uncharecteristic decisions with the ball, needs to do better than that.

We gave them an almighty shake last year at the 'G' when no-one gave us a chance, I expect a similar peformance here.

He had the second higest total of pressure acts of all players in the game mate.

The whole "Bell doesn't use his body" shtick is groupthink from previous years. His spot is by no means safe, but it is for reasons other than him not using his body. He's shown in both the JLT and round 1 his contested work has improved. He was 2 CP off being equal first for the match and 3 clearances off Beams' total.

I am going early with my reverse psychology tipping. I think Melbourne are going to win by 98 points this week.

I would hope that Fagan has learned a few things from last weekend and we don't see Dan Mcstay, who has kicked a grand total of 5 goals in 2016, 2017 and the first game of this season, starting as a forward. A more traditional line up with Walker at Full Forward, Hipwood at Centre Half Forward, Lester on a Half Forward Flank and perhaps Archie Smith rotating off the bench into the forward line / ruck would work. Throw Raynor, Berry and Cameron into the mix and we might just kick a score.

Melbourne by 98 Points.

They havent really told us much about Rich. High ankle sprains usually require surgery with screw fixation so that is unlikely. There are nonoperative options for high ankle sprains but recovery is usually twice as long as a low ankle sprain (around 4-12 weeks). Low ankle sprains if they are low grade (I-II) is usually 1-3 weeks. Grade III is usually 2+ weeks, normally fully recovered by 6 weeks. Depends on rehab mostly. Either way its a good opportunity for one of Allison or Cutler to practice Richs role on the wing and really stake a claim for retaining that wing position. Bailey could also get a shot in that outside position. Maybe even Starcevich will get a run on the wing (or is he more of a contested beast? Im not sure).
Is a high ankle sprain the same as ruptured ligaments? Because they have told us Rich has ruptured ligaments in his ankle.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-27/in-the-mix-round-two

You'd assume based off of this that Walker is all clear. Whiting get's good info regarding the Lions. Seems likely it'll just be the two forced changes Rich and Robinson out.

I'm going to guess it'll be-

In: Cutler Bailey
Out: Rich Robinson

Robertson to take Rich's role in the backline-

B: Robertson Andrews Gardiner
HB: Hodge McStay Witherden
C: McCluggage Berry Taylor
HF: Cameron Walker Cutler
FF: Christensen Hipwood Rayner
R: Martin Beams Zorko
I: Bell Lester Mayes Bailey

I'd suggest Bailey will get a debut because Fagan has shown a willingness to blood the high draft picks early and get games into them. Cutler and Bailey would both add some extra foot speed to the side and I'd be curious to see how Cutler goes as a forward playing in the senior's. Bailey would probably be a direct replacement for Robinson playing a similar role as a small, pressure forward with stints in the midfield.
I'd play Allison before Cutler, he shows more at this point IMO.

Rhys Mathieson would be my prefered inclusion this week.

Beams struggled to spread from the clearances in the game, and in turn lowered his disposal efficiency. With Mathieson getting under the packs, this can open up our outside runners more.

We also won the clearances comfortably.

I’m not so sure that we should fix what’s not broken. If a few other players hit their targets earlier on (Christensen and Zorko will improve) we’d have won that game.

A bit more defensive speed would be useful for when our ball movement breaks down, but I thought the midfield was pretty good.

Sounds like Matho has had a minor hamstring issue. Not sure they would bring in someone who hasn't been on the park. Can't see any need to drop Bell for this week given there are two forced changes anyway. I thought before the St Kilda game we were a tall short and that applies equally to this week. Although he doesn't play key position, it is probably another argument in favour of Allison or even the Big O. Cutler seems the obvious inclusion up forward with a few positional changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back