Preview Round 2, 2019: Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, 31 March 3:20pm AEDT @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Scully plays then I think Mirra or Morrison makes way for him. The Doggies forwarded line isn’t overly huge so I can see it being Dave which would be unlucky for him. However due to form and the positional like for like I can also see it being Harry.

Won't be Harry.

Cousins, Mirra, Scrimshaw all still potential outs if Scully comes in. Re-watching the game, however, I was very impressed with both Mirra and Scrimshaw - how could you change anything in that defence? They were magnificent. Cousins ball use was suspect on a few occasions but he also basically tagged Gibbs out of the game (Gibbs had 16 disposals, 2 clearances, 1 inside fifty) - and if that was his main role then he would have a huge tick from the coaches (especially nailing two goals himself). We may need him to do such a job on Liberatore, Hunter or McRae. Tough call

I wonder if we'd consider going with one ruckman against the dogs? Their ruck department is both inexperienced and in the singular.

Scrimshaw named in the side, not the bench. He is not a potential out.

Nice of them to name Scully to show that he's close but surely there's no way he plays, right? Could have sworn I read a quote from someone somewhere in the know that he'll come back through the 2s.

Massive in if Scully plays. I really expected round 5. I’m truly surprised to see Scully even named so early. What a beast this guy must be. In particular with his approach to getting his body right. When recruited the word was he would be close mid season...

Pleased for him!

KOLOKOTRONIS

Last edited:
Moore Lewis Brand Mirra to be left out .
Mirra unfortunate , but Bulldogs don't have a tall forward line .

The Dogs play two key forwards, Naughton and Schache, and Gowers plays tall also. Our backline was insane last week, I can't see Clarko tinkering with that. He loves to get a settled group down back and it looks like he has Mirra in mind as part of that 7.

So I suspect it will be a mid that makes way. Henderson might be the unlucky one as it's like for like. I don't think Cousins would be in the gun after last week and the dogs inside ball winners, and Morrison is the future.

Ceglar enabled McEvoy to push forward and hit the scoreboard, so you'd think he plays this week. I'm still not sold long term we will persist with two rucks, but it looks likely we are committed early on to seeing how this works.

Last edited:
Nice of them to name Scully to show that he's close but surely there's no way he plays, right? Could have sworn I read a quote from someone somewhere in the know that he'll come back through the 2s.
They named him because he is playing. This isn't a rolled ankle wait and see, my guess he was a chance for round 1 but wasn't quite ready especially with the travel. 8 days later he will be raring to go.

I still don’t think Scully will play for two weeks. VFL. Then if he pulls up ok into the seniors.

No need to rush him back as he is so valuable for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mirra was the correct match up for the Adelaide forward line which lumbers along. However, I wouldn’t say he is well suited for the dogs.

Scrimshaw whilst raw, provides better rebound and his decision making is quicker. He keeps his spot.

We need speed and quick decision making v the dogs. For this reason I think Mirra misses.

KOLOKOTRONIS

I love Hendo, but the others are probably more important. Hendo is the easiest for scully to replace. Cousins is needed as the dogs have a lot of inside mids. Mirra is needed for one of Schache, Gowers or Naughton and Cegler allows McEvoy to push forward and be dangerous while also help tire out a young inexperienced ruckman in English. Must be Hendo although i love him

Sorry but couldn't disagree more. Nash has speed and I think only second for endurance behind Smith at the club. As for his skills I recall him setting up a few goals with super quick handballs not to mention is a great tackler and puts a lot of pressure on opponents.

If Wingard and Scully come in, it would be for Puopolo and Morrison I think sadly at this stage but I would rest them another week and keep the same squad against the Dogs.

An athlete does not make a footballer, runs the wrong way, handballs because he is a deer in headlights and cannot kick. Hope he improves but full development at present which is Not a bad thing. Potential does not mean he is ready.

I love Hendo, but the others are probably more important. Hendo is the easiest for scully to replace. Cousins is needed as the dogs have a lot of inside mids. Mirra is needed for one of Schache, Gowers or Naughton and Cegler allows McEvoy to push forward and be dangerous while also help tire out a young inexperienced ruckman in English. Must be Hendo although i love him
This is assuming that Clarko is simply trying to replace like for like. The team, and particlarly the backline, did very well last week. But Clarko may have a slightly different game plan up his sleeve for the year, which focuses more on run and speed. Additionally, the bulldogs are quick, and we might need the extra leg speed to get over the top.

I have for anyone to go after last week, but I reckon it's got to be Mirra.

An athlete does not make a footballer, runs the wrong way, handballs because he is a deer in headlights and cannot kick. Hope he improves but full development at present which is Not a bad thing. Potential does not mean he is ready.
Hanballs because he's a deer in headlights? What on earth are you talking about and what game did you watch on the weekend?
He handballed because there were players in better positions to kick goals and he would have been caught holding if he didn't get rid of the ball. If his "deer in the headlight" handballing continues to yield 3 goal assists a game I'm not too bothered.

Ceglar needs to play to stretch the Dogs undersized defence.

Henderson is vital to the side, he stays. 3 genuine runners & wingman is a weapon, not a luxury.

Cousins work in the contest will be needed against Dogs midfielders.

Scully is fit and ready to go. He plays.

Mirra the out. Dogs don't have a tall or dangerous forward line so Frawley, Stratton, Scrimshaw and Sicily should be more than enough. Remember Sicily playing on Tex last week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back