Preview Round 2, 2019: Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, 31 March 3:20pm AEDT @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No change

I agree. There could be some sore bodies in the midfield, though, that don't recover well enough and get limited minutes at Box Hill. This full-time AFL gig is a big step up for quite a few guys.

But other than that, no change.

Probably no change, but there well be some unlucky players once Wingard and Scully are fit.

Does pace in the midfield might be an issue, otherwise our rucks should dominate English. Our forwards should look to dominate in the air vs Dogs backs and not much worries me about Dogs forward, although Naughton looks a ripper.

Nash can’t play. Needs more time to adjust but does not contribute enough at the contest or when he has the ball. Lucky to stay in anyway with the exception of development.

Sorry but couldn't disagree more. Nash has speed and I think only second for endurance behind Smith at the club. As for his skills I recall him setting up a few goals with super quick handballs not to mention is a great tackler and puts a lot of pressure on opponents.

If Wingard and Scully come in, it would be for Puopolo and Morrison I think sadly at this stage but I would rest them another week and keep the same squad against the Dogs.

Dogs beat Sydney in a similar manner to how we beat Adelaide. Their first half was full of pressure, and when they got their hands on it the likes of McRae, Daniel, Libba and Bont were so smart going inside 50. Their forwards didn't do anything special they just just got hit lace out consistently - what they did do was convert well.

Sydney suffered from being predictable in the first half. They tried tempo footy for a little while after the Dogs had a run on, but round 1 skills you know... so many out of bounds, over the head kicks or handballs to their teammates feet or three feet behind them. Dogs forced them into turnovers and frustrated them into long kicks inside fifty, which were spoiled and mopped up effectively. In saying all that, the younger Dogs players tired badly in the second half and they were fortunate that Sydney couldn't get their act together.

On the whole, going in unchanged doesn't make sense to me. Cousins was great around goals yesterday but didn't win a clearance and didn't hit many targets by foot. Both of these things we will desperately need next week and Daniel Howe can provide. It seems harsh to drop a young player after one good performance but he must improve his kicking under pressure.

Could maybe see Howe coming in to play on Bont. If anyone was omitted after yesterday they would be stiff though.

Wouldn’t rush Wingard in as I think we have the Doggies covered and we need him fit and firing for the North game. Will spew if we lose to those spuds again.

Nash appeared a bit sore at the end so hopefully he’s okay.

Agreed - Howe to come in to play on the Bont who has always caused us issues. Unfortunately young Morrison to miss. Struggled in the JLT and was only ok on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but couldn't disagree more. Nash has speed and I think only second for endurance behind Smith at the club. As for his skills I recall him setting up a few goals with super quick handballs not to mention is a great tackler and puts a lot of pressure on opponents.

If Wingard and Scully come in, it would be for Puopolo and Morrison I think sadly at this stage but I would rest them another week and keep the same squad against the Dogs.

I don't think they'd remove Morrison for Scully, the match committee would be more likely to remove Henderson.

Don't get me wrong, Henderson has been fantastic since we got him over and has performed well above expectations - but removing a performing 20 year old to keep a 31 year old isn't something we'd be likely to do. Harry has been touted as a strong part of our future, Ricky came over as filler and he would be aware of that.

Last edited:
Even though he doesn’t deserve it, could there be a case for Mirra out for Howe? The dogs don’t have a scarily big forward line. We could probably get away with Chip to Naughton, Sicily to Schache and Stratts to Gowers.

Howe’s big body and the good job he did last year might be needed to put the skids on Bontempelli.

Nash can’t play. Needs more time to adjust but does not contribute enough at the contest or when he has the ball. Lucky to stay in anyway with the exception of development.
Conr Nash is second in the entire league for goal assists and second in the entire league for tackles inside fwd 50. Not bad for a guy that can't play.

We'll go in unchanged regardless. Neither Wingard or Scully should be rushed in to a winning side if they're not cherry ripe, and Howe simply isn't that level of footballer.

Sights should be on Geelong, Round 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back