Preview Round 2, 2019 - North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS THE LID OFF?
Many of us have taken the lid off after our 44 point drubbing of the reigning Premier on Saturday night, but there are still plenty of supporters who have been scarred by false dawns and our erratic form, particularly in Melbourne. People should remember that there is a difference between the lid being off for some supporters and THE LID BEING OFFICIALLY OFF, which it isn't yet. With that in mind, it is worth looking at our last two games against North Melbourne to sober some of us up a bit.

Round 11 2018 - Docklands Stadium

Nth. Melbourne
5.7.37 - 12.9.81 - 16.14.110 - 21.15.141
Brisbane
0.4.4 - 3.8.26 - 7.11.53 - 12.15.87

Round 20 2018 - Gabba

Brisbane
6.0.36 - 9.2.50 - 13.4.82 - 16.8.104
Nth. Melbourne
5.1.31 - 12.6.78 - 14.9.93 - 16.11.107

Round 11 last year was a shocker for Lions supporters as Brisbane came to Melbourne and gave their supporters absolutely nothing. In one of the most supine performances ever witnessed by the Lions faithful, Brisbane just simply didn't turn up. The game was effectively over at quarter time. The Lions got absolutely murdered out of the middle, with Shaun Higgins collecting a lazy 38 disposals. Simply put, we were rubbish.

Round 20 was a completely different story. It was a game we should have pinched. Harris Andrew's played a blinder, keeping Ben Brown to one goal, McCluggage kicked three and Rayner was menacing. In the end, our inexperience cost us, with the occasional lapse in concentration and some Jack Ziebell heroics making the difference. We still might have pinched it in the end if Cam Rayner had a 'caddie' who could have advised about shot selection in the dying seconds. This was a game that started to show that there was light at the end of the tunnel, despite the result.

THIS WEEK - TIME TO ATONE
So we turn our attention to this week and I think that it is fair to say that we owe North Melbourne a good whack around the ears. This week the Lions have an opportunity to announce to the football world, but more importantly, to their loyal supporters that they have ARRIVED. We were brilliant against West Coast and the reasons we won that game are precisely why we will beat Nth. Melbourne. Simply put, with the inclusion of Neale and Lyons into the middle and the extra muscle a rejuvenated Mathieson brings to the team, North won't be able to walk the ball out of midfield stoppages. The greater midfield depth and strength we have now means that Berry is able to play an 'outside mid' role which means he is a more damaging player.

This intensity in the midfield appears to be mirrored around the ground. West Coast appeared genuinely stunned and North Melbourne can expect the same treatment. I have been a massive knock on McStay as a forward, but his intensity and passion for a contest were brilliant on the weekend. North, on the other hand, are coming off a hiding against Fremantle and I have observed a tendency over the years for Victorian teams to generally drop the next game they play after a trip to Perth. The signs are not good for North.

I also think that we have our Ruck situation worked out, with Martin and McInerney set to dominate this year. Both bring the added bonus of being good on the deck.

WHERE DO WE IMPROVE?
I think that it is reasonable to expect that our ball handling and delivery inside 50 will improve this week. Hipwood still needs to improve his kicking for goal, but in fairness, he had limited opportunities against West Coast, given the conditions and the forward line that Fagan set up after quarter time.

THE VERDICT?

BRISBANE BY 58 Points - THE LID IS OFF AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED.

Brisbane go into this game firm favourites in my book and I am predicting a big win. Not quite as big as this famous victory over North Melbourne, but we should win easily.

Go Lions!

Vale Gary Sidebottom

Last edited:
So I had a look at our head-to-head against North Melbourne and it doesn't make for pretty reading, but then again, it looked worse against West Coast so this is another great opportunity for us to change the momentum:

- We have lost our last 6 to North with an average losing margin of 49.3 points;
- We have only won 2 out of the past 12 games against North;
- Last win against North was round 15, 2014 when we won by 4 points; and
- Our last win against North in Melbourne was in round 10, 2009 when we won by 18 points.

Time to change this abysmal recent record against North and importantly, get a win for the Victorian fans.

Lions_Insider - where is the dedicated Lions bay located on the third level of Docklands this week?:thumbsu:

IS THE LID IS OFF?
Many of us have taken the lid off after our 44 point drubbing of the reigning Premier on Saturday night, but there are still plenty of supporters who have been scarred by false dawns and our erratic form, particularly in Melbourne. People should remember that there is a difference between the lid being off for some supporters and THE LID BEING OFFICIALLY OFF, which it isn't yet. With that in mind, it is worth looking at our last two games against North Melbourne to sober some of us up a bit.

Round 11 2018 - Docklands Stadium

Nth. Melbourne
5.7.37 - 12.9.81 - 16.14.110 - 21.15.141
Brisbane
0.4.4 - 3.8.26 - 7.11.53 - 12.15.87

Round 20 2018 - Gabba

Brisbane
6.0.36 - 9.2.50 - 13.4.82 - 16.8.104
Nth. Melbourne
5.1.31 - 12.6.78 - 14.9.93 - 16.11.107

Round 11 last year was a shocker for Lions supporters as Brisbane came to Melbourne and gave there supporters absolutely nothing. In one of the most supine performances ever witnessed by the Lions faithful, Brisbane just simply didn't turn up. The game was effectively over at quarter time. The Lions got absolutely murdered out of the middle, with Shaun Higgins collecting a lazy 38 disposals. Simply put, we were rubbish.

Round 20 was a completely different story. It was a game we should have pinched. Harris Andrew's played a blinder, keeping Ben Brown to one goal, McCluggage kicked three and Raynor was menacing. In the end, our inexperience cost us, with the occasional lapse in concentration and some Jack Ziebell heroics making the difference. We still might have pinched it in the end if Cam Raynor had a 'caddie' who could have advised about shot selection in the dying seconds. This was a game that started to show that there was light at the end of the tunnel, despite the result.

THIS WEEK - TIME TO ATONE
So we turn our attention to this week and I think that it is fair to say that we owe North Melbourne a good whack around the ears. This week the Lions have an opportunity to announce to the football world, but more importantly, to their loyal supporters that they have ARRIVED. We were brilliant against West Coast and the reasons we won that game are precisely why we will beat Nth. Melbourne. Simply put, with the inclusion of Neale and Lyons into the middle and the extra muscle a rejuvenated Mathieson brings to the team, North won't be able to walk the ball out of midfield stoppages. The greater midfield depth and strength we have now means that Berry is able to play an 'outside mid' role which means he is a more damaging player.

This intensity in the midfield appears to be mirrored around the ground. West Coast appeared genuinely stunned and North Melbourne can expect the same treatment. I have been a massive knock on McStay as a forward, but his intensity and passion for a contest were brilliant on the weekend. North, on the other hand, are coming off a hiding against Fremantle and I have observed a tendency over the years for Victorian teams to generally drop the next game they play after a trip to Perth. The signs are not good for North.

I also think that we have our Ruck situation worked out, with Martin and McInerney set to dominate this year. Both bring the added bonus of being good on the deck.

WHERE DO WE IMPROVE?
I think that it is reasonable to expect that our ball handling and delivery inside 50 will improve this week. Hipwood still needs to improve his kicking for goal, but in fairness, he had limited opportunities against West Coast, given the conditions and the forward line that Fagan set up after quarter time.

THE VERDICT?

BRISBANE BY 58 Points - THE LID IS OFF AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED.

Brisbane go into this game firm favourites and I am predicting a big win. Not quite as big as this famous victory over North Melbourne, but we should win easily.

Go Lions!

Pessimistic preview 3KZ is Football 😉

Only thing giving me pause is our recent form away from home and particularly in Melbourne against Nth. I also expect Nth will improve on last week.

However I think we have more firepower than them and a fit charlie would have won us the game in rd 20, so as long as we break even in the middle I’ll be tipping is by 3 goals.

Keen as for this game. I’m optimistic about it but I don’t want to get my hopes up about winning week in week out yet. If we lose I just hope it’s because they step up from last week and not that we lose our intensity from this week.

I think that if McStay, Hippy and Big O can kick at least five between them then we should easily win. They combined for zero last week with our small staking the load and we still won by over five goals; imagine what it’ll be like when our talls impact the scoreboard themselves.

I think we go in unchanged. Andrews should take Brown while Walker goes on Wood. Gardiner is great at guarding small forwards as well so I’d put him on Ziebell. Hodge, Rich, Bailey and Witherden will be able to match up well on the rest of their forwards pretty easily. They are severely short of KPDs so running with three talls up forward is still a great option (worked especially well for Freo as well).

Although Marvel is a fast deck, we definitely have the talent to force them to play our style of football. We kept the premiers to two goals after quarter time, we can keep North subdued for most of the game.

I’m expecting an even start as both team come firing, but we will pull away to a decent lead and keep it for the game.

Lions by 26.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Conditions should also be ok with a top of 18 and partly cloudy, which depending on whether the roof is open may or may not be a factor.

Fagan will be keeping things in perspective for the boys this week, but their level of self belief will be sky high. Expect them to come out firing.

We make it two in a row this week against a team who hasn't gelled with their new midfield acquisitions. Our midfield newbies on the other hand have fitted in extremely well. With Neale and Lyons flying in the preseason and both excellent in round 1. Our inside 50's has improved so much. If we pump it in plenty of times against a team that just gave up 140 points to a likely bottom 4-6 team, we will kick a score again this week. Only 3 teams scored 100 points in round 1 and we were one of them. We are playing consistent footy, have belief, executing the gameplan and are ready to succeed on the road (see melb defeat @ casey). My confidence is high we make it two on the trot. Lions by 25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solid preview 3KZ :thumbsu:

Whilst there may be an internal debate for every Lions' fan over the Lid Question, there can be be no doubt about what's inside the bloody receptacle (PURE FOOTY EXCITEMENT) and where that is being generated (BY BLOKES WHO WEAR LIONS JUMPERS).

We've shown promise in glimpses over the last 12-18 months, occasionally putting it together for 4 quarters over that time, but the big difference for me is this year - we have started putting it together right from the beginning. The preseason comp, often dismissed as a glorified training run, shows that the 3 big losers over the weekend (Dons, Dees, North) all failed to win a game leading in to terrible round 1 performances. And I ask you all - how many times do we hear coaches suggest "training intensity translates to game performance"? So if the JLT was glorified training, and 3 teams who lost (2 of them got annihilated) didn't win a single game....perhaps early season form in that comp is not something that should be summarily dismissed.

Add that to Saturday night's performance and I think we're in with a big chance. Yes, we have to turn up to play with intensity for 4 quarters and North will be hurting and keen to bounce back - but you don't get things all your own way and I feel our team understands this now. They are in control of their effort and thus their performance. They've turned that corner, away from "I'm talented, so I'll win" to "everyone here is as good as me, I need to work harder to win". And whereas in past seasons it took 2-3 months of a season before they figured that out - they've hit this season with that thought firmly in their minds, right from the start of preseason training.

Sausages' Lid on prediction: Lions by 15 points
Sausages' Lid off prediction: Lions by the length of the Flemington straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back