Preview Round 2, 2019 - North Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Waite not playing will be huge in our favour! He always managed to get ahold of us!

Jarrad didn't play in the round 10 game last year, and was just serviceable in the Brisbane return match. Beams was our bogeyman last year, so I am happy to see the back of him. The bloke who performed well against Brisbane last year was Ziebell (Brownlow votes in both games).

Actually, despite last weeks disgraceful debacle (MacMillan, Williams & McDonald= 25 turnovers coming out of defence!), I would hope not, as that would play right in to the hands of Brisbanes most impressive tactical attribute vs the Eagles..

We don't have much in the way of long "get out" options anyway.

I would rather we persisted in the hope that we can actually do it a lot better (which wouldn't be hard), and/or that Brisbane aren't quite as adaptive to a closer checking defensive structure (somewhat of an unknown at this point).

From our perspective, I think you are 100% correct.

I still won't be putting a brass razoo on North winning.

It's interesting Snake - I watched your game and I don't think Freo did much more than simply work harder - and you know how footy works, once things start going a bit pear-shaped, the slide down the slope to the wheels falling off can be pretty quick (Lord knows, we've been living there for about the last 9 years lol). I know there's been undercurrents of people unhappy with Scott, but has it got to the point where you think the players want him out and so DGAF?

I think it will be based on their turnovers but also their defensive running. They brought players in that only run 1 way, so we shuld have plenty of players that are free which should help with our overlap and also spotting targets in our f50.

I was really surprised they played all of Hall, Tyson and Pittard in round one. I assumed those guys were meant to be depth players.

They're also missing two of their best defensive players in Jacobs and Wright. The balance is just off.

But they'll defend Docklands much better than they defended the Perth stadium. Things could look very different on Sunday.

It's interesting Snake - I watched your game and I don't think Freo did much more than simply work harder - and you know how footy works, once things start going a bit pear-shaped, the slide down the slope to the wheels falling off can be pretty quick (Lord knows, we've been living there for about the last 9 years lol). I know there's been undercurrents of people unhappy with Scott, but has it got to the point where you think the players want him out and so DGAF?

I am going to come across as an ungracious loser here, but in all honesty our appalling turnovers & fumbling, particularly in the first half, played a much larger role in this debacle. The players then dropped their bundles, Freo grew a leg as sides do when they are catching the breaks, and then finished off the game playing like millionaires. However, the platform for that was mostly North's doing, as you have alluded to yourself. You only need to go back to the first 20 minutes to see how we controlled most of the game, but kept continually shooting ourselves in the foot.

I know there's been undercurrents of people unhappy with Scott, but has it got to the point where you think the players want him out and so DGAF?

We continue to deliver the same inefficient brand of football relative to our list strengths and weaknesses, and I do believe the players are reaching a point where the message is lost on them. You need look no further than the way some of our young player who exhibited breathtaking skills as juniors (McDonald, Simpkin, Wood etc.) have morphed in to rigid, stuttering scrappers. They aren't playing with any instinct.

Could Gardiner go with Jack on the deck?

My hunch is that Hodge will go to him.

Gardiner has played well on Betts for several years so yeah he can handle Usain Ziebell.

Gardiner is much quicker than Hodge

Jarrad didn't play in the round 10 game last year, and was just serviceable in the Brisbane return match. Beams was our bogeyman last year, so I am happy to see the back of him. The bloke who performed well against Brisbane last year was Ziebell (Brownlow votes in both games).
We are happy to see the back of Beams too......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see a few people on here are saying we have to stop Higgins. I tend to agree that he is dangerous because he such a great kick and can kick multiple goals but I have to say the guy who should be sitting in the stands suspended Ben Cunnington is there best player for me. Just wins relentless contested ball and always distributes well. He tore us apart last year. I hope we stick Mathieson close to him around ball ups.

If you back at Norths points against for the second half of last year they were conceding high scores constantly. We even managed 87 points against them at Etihad with one player on the bench, albeit they were well in front for entire game.

McCarthy - Tabener - Lobb took a lot of marks last week against a depleted Kangas back line. They have now lost Vickers Wills to go with Daw. Thompson returns this week but he won't have the pace to go with Hipwood.

We can't afford to let them jump out of the gates as they will quickly regain confidence, if we start well and cause them to make turnovers the crowd will be on there back and the players will get nervous.

Also got to say I am surprised they recruited both Hall and Polec. Both renowned one way runners.

After such an amazing performance last week, I'm a bit nervous about this game. If we can get the win then our season is set up beautifully!

We need to convert our chances better in the first quarter this week, we don't want them getting a sniff.

Then what were you referring to which Ziebell has and Betts and Liam Ryan don't

A 'Z' in his name. No way Gardiner can match that.

I know Gardiner was injured the second time we played the Roos last year, but I honestly can't remember if he went to Ziebell earlier in the year. I assume he would have done. Anyone remember that game well enough?

I know Gardiner was injured the second time we played the Roos last year, but I honestly can't remember if he went to Ziebell earlier in the year. I assume he would have done. Anyone remember that game well enough?

Not sure but the way their midfield dominated it would've been incredibly difficult for the defenders.

Not sure but the way their midfield dominated it would've been incredibly difficult for the defenders.
Which is where we will win the game this year!
I don’t think they have the cattle to go with our mids this year and with a taller forward line they will not be able to man up quick enough.

All I remember from that game is Higgins waltzing out of the centre what felt like 8 times straight to begin the game and then our horrible injury run. I assume Gardiner was on Ziebell though.

More broadly I get why people are being cautious and recent history says we struggle against Norf but recent history says that we struggle against pretty much everyone. Even if North are significantly better than last week they still aren't the sort of team we should fear.

Only questions for me are can we even it up in the middle and will we be able to keep the pressure game up. If we can, I think they will turn the ball over a lot and we can win comfortably.

We could of course lose and maybe we can't expect full consistency of performance just yet, but I'm as confident as I have been in years going into an away game.

Am i right in thinking that Danny Daly ( tactical strategist) missed the first half or more of last season thru health problems and that when he returned we saw greater improvement with results. In the wc game we saw after the first qtr a change in the way we went about it, taking a 27 point deficit to a terrific win. I think we now have a greater ability to alter our game plan to the circumstances that confront us. That and a much better understanding and execution of our zone defence ( again evident in the wc game) has made us a much better team. With the same effort of last week and the confidence in our structures and abitlty to switch it up when needed i think we should beat north. By how many i dont know, that comes down to the hunger of the players.

We continue to deliver the same inefficient brand of football relative to our list strengths and weaknesses, and I do believe the players are reaching a point where the message is lost on them. You need look no further than the way some of our young player who exhibited breathtaking skills as juniors (McDonald, Simpkin, Wood etc.) have morphed in to rigid, stuttering scrappers. They aren't playing with any instinct.

This is where I think Fagan has worked his magic - he identifies the instinct of each player (their weapon is a term used by the players) and works how to merge their weapons into the team. And because they get to do their thing they are happier to do all the other stuff that's required.

I think he is also able to describe their roles in terms that match their individualty as well cause the players clearly respond well to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back