Autopsy Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

• Only excuse for O'Meara today is if he's carrying an injury was a piss poor performance, was constantly running in second gear after opponents.
  • Either one of Koschitzke and O'Brein need to make room for Lewis, just no aerial contest in our forward 50.
  • Brockmen was caught ball watching a few times today, not from being lazy or selfish ect but being submissive to the senior players in our team, he's gonna click very soon when he gain that confidence.
  • Jiath, Frost and Hardwick were dman good damn good, out played the Richmond forward line.

TOB out. Even his most staunch defenders surely can't defend him anymore. Lewis and Kosi may or may not be the future, either way we need to find out. We know for absolute certainty that TOB isn't though.

Game went about as well as expected to be honest. We are rebuilding and still trying to figure out our structure and best 22. Pressure was always gonna be on another level and early on we were very lazy with our execution. Some was pressure but a lot was just simple skill errors or really low percentage options. Improved as the game went on but going forward was just messy.
A lot of work to be done for the forward structure.

O'Brien was manhandled today, they stopped him from jumping and ran him under the ball with ease. Needed more from him, even halving the contest would help us get some chances.
O'Meara tried hard but his disposal was really poor. Definitely not alone but you want your senior players to lead by example and unfortunately he wasn't able to today.

Really liked CJ again today, adds a bit to our structure. Overcommitted when on Martin late but he'll learn from that. Enjoyed him shaking off Martin though, doesn't happen too often.

Plenty of development to come and both teams weren't at their best but hopefully we can take a lot from it.

Fingers crossed for Day, hopefully not too bad (watching without sound so unsure on diagnosis).

Tigers pressure forced us into many errors and to often kick it wide to the wings and long and high to our forwards to the exact spots the tigers wanted it and ultimately there defenders had a field day. We hung in through an improved workrate and defending really well.
Kept it fairly respectable on the scoreboard without ever really threatening and with the oppo seemingly not needing top gear after quarter time.
Loved CJ, Jars and Frost taking game on from the backline but CJ needs to learn when to go and when to defend better.

Richmond’s defensive pressure around the ground just swallowed us up early on. Think 3 of the first 4 goals were from forward half intercepts and that’s where they built the lead and held most of the match.

We were more than decent in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Scoreboard was even and I felt it was deserved. Few costly mistakes late in the 3rd going forward when we could have cut it to 11 and then they made it 23 very late.

All in all it wasn’t too bad and I’m happy we did recover from the early disaster but you never felt we were truly in the contest. Typical Richmond type win, restricting us wide and high which is exactly what they thrive off.

I think we should generally be happy with todays result. Just need to keep getting games into those players that we see as our future.
Defence is coming along nicely, but forwards & midfield need a fair bit of work. As the year unfolds we will have to make some hard decisions about who to give opportunities to & who will just be depth. We do have a fair bit to work with, just have to be patient.

Brockman reminds me a bit of Mark Williams - the way he moves and seems to be a terrific kick for goal
We probably need to look at running scrimmers or Day through the midfield. We can’t continue with what’s in there now. Brockman is already our best kick. He’s gonna be elite

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

we seem to have lost the ability to just tap the ball to a teammate without taking possession. I know that was a Cyril specialty but there were many opportunities to do that today but players took possession under pressure and caused a turnover. I guess they are playing the percentages but it dosn’t always apply against Richmond.

lol there’s no way in hell we make 5 changes on today’s effort.

Yeah I don't expect that, but that's what I'd like to see.

TOB, Ceglar and Hanrahan need to be dropped because they are not good enough. Scrimshaw comes in regardless of Day's fitness. Two, maybe three changes need to be made.

The best thing about the result was that Richmond tried to put us away and they weren’t able to. Small victory but it’s where we are at at the moment. Richmond are a much better side than us so 29pts is very much an honourable loss. Besides that it’s just about development which progressed incrementally today. Jiath represents something. Let’s see if we can grind out a similar competitive result v Geelong and then get our w’s against the essendons of this world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks beat bombers by 1 point -

Big Footy: “no change. Everyone is great!”

Hawks lose to reigning premiers -

Big Footy - “too many passengers! We need to drop 5 players.”

Not sure if you're referring to me with the 5 changes comment. If so, I have already said that beating this Essendon side by one point is not worthy of being a "no changes" kind of effort.

I always look at the bigger picture. Today was always a loss, I’m happy we didn’t get blown out of the water.
I can start to see the players who will be part of our next flag side: Day, CJ, Brockman, Impey, Worpel, Moore, Hardwick, all have something. It’s raw and lacking serious polish at this stage, but it’s definitely there...

Yeah I don't expect that, but that's what I'd like to see.

TOB, Ceglar and Hanrahan need to be dropped because they are not good enough. Scrimshaw comes in regardless of Day's fitness. Two, maybe three changes need to be made.
I think Olli and TOB out. Can’t see Ceglar out unless we can get a genuine backup who can do 30-40%.

Great effort by team today, but Tigers too good. Thought our defence was really good.
  • Not sure how Burgoyne can still play given Scrimshaw n Greaves out.
  • Also would be happy if Jagear or worps or shiels making space for cousins, needs goal kicking midfielder.
  • If it's kosi or tob for Lewis, should be TOB out as he is still unable to hold marks. Keeps confidence in youngster

TOB out. Even his most staunch defenders surely can't defend him anymore. Lewis and Kosi may or may not be the future, either way we need to find out. We know for absolute certainty that TOB isn't though.

I would have O’Brien as the second ruck instead of Ceglar, with Lewis and Koschitzke as the two key forwards.

Kind of what I expected. Richmond were a class above. Too many kicks that hung in the air and let Richmond come in and kill the ball in dangerous areas. They have a game plan down to a science and stars on every line. Kind of endearing that the air only went out of the game late and many players didn't stop taking the game on.

Mitchell was relentlessly positive and urging players to be positive and attacking all game. Harry, CJ, Hardwick, Frost, Hartigan, Morrison, Brocky, Breust all acquitted themselves well.

People are jumping at Ceglar but he's providing more than McEvoy at the moment. The justification for rotating two genuine ruckmen through kind of falls apart if you can't wear out Nankervis or provide a marking presence around the ground.

People praising Howe must not have been at the ground. Played mostly the fat side wing calling for the switch all game. When he got it, he sucked all of the air out of our play and made it someone else's problem. I'm sure he had good DE but I reckon if you asked him whether he wanted a cheeseburger for certain or risk a coin flip for a million bucks, he'd ask for no pickles. It's not how we've been trying to play.

Not playing Lewis or Scrim is just silly. A halftime blowout followed by a one point win against a rabble was no justification for an unchanged side.

Just leaving the ground. Not too disappointed, about as expected. I regret supporting Tigers in the 17 GF, they clearly pinched one early and are now peaking. Will take a lot to stop them.

CJ was the highlight. By the time final q came along, the crowd would get a buzz every time he went near it. So great to watch.

TOB I’m not sure how much more can take. Have always been a defender but he just fizzed today.

Saw Birchall outside the G, great to see him there

He was on the ground wearing number 14 for Hawthorn in the last quarter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardwick ran to support in defence a lot and ended up with 31 touches. Would be close to a career best.

Comfortably exceeded his previous career best of 23 disposals. Pretty good follow up from last week, where he had 21 disposals. Very much in the mould of a Brent Guerra coming out of defence.

Kind of what I expected. Richmond were a class above. Too many kicks that hung in the air and let Richmond come in and kill the ball in dangerous areas. They have a game plan down to a science and stars on every line. Kind of endearing that the air only went out of the game late and many players didn't stop taking the game on.

Mitchell was relentlessly positive and urging players to be positive and attacking all game. Harry, CJ, Hardwick, Frost, Hartigan, Morrison, Brocky, Breust all acquitted themselves well.

People are jumping at Ceglar but he's providing more than McEvoy at the moment. The justification for rotating two genuine ruckmen through kind of falls apart if you can't wear out Nankervis or provide a marking presence around the ground.

People praising Howe must not have been at the ground. Played mostly the fat side wing calling for the switch all game. When he got it, he sucked all of the air out of our play and made it someone else's problem. I'm sure he had good DE but I reckon if you asked him whether he wanted a cheeseburger for certain or risk a coin flip for a million bucks, he'd ask for no pickles. It's not how we've been trying to play.

Not playing Lewis or Scrim is just silly. A halftime blowout followed by a one point win against a rabble was no justification for an unchanged side.

Agree completely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back