Preview Round 14, 2024 : Richmond v Hawthorn, 4:35pm Sat 15th June MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have already said this to a few ppl I have met today so I may as well.

If I were the Richmond players I would be getting aggressive and in the faces of the Hawthorn players trying to draw free kicks and get the crowd involved.

It's logical they draw free kicks to get a jump and the crowd involved. We need to be careful not to get sucked in. Sic, CJ, Chol and Frosty have shown a tendency to react. We need to be prepared. It's going to be hot early. If we withstand that early adrenaline the game will settle and we should win.

If I were the Richmond players I would be getting aggressive and in the faces of the Hawthorn players trying to draw free kicks and get the crowd involved.

It's logical they draw free kicks to get a jump and the crowd involved. We need to be careful not to get sucked in. Sic, CJ, Chol and Frosty have shown a tendency to react. We need to be prepared. It's going to be hot early. If we withstand that early adrenaline the game will settle and we should win.
Same thing happened r1 when the Dons got into Sicily and it got them going early.

Sic needs to keep his head.

You reckon Lynch isn't ready to go? Richmond claim he was right to go last week but they held him over to be sure.
Thing is he was injured all preseason, played 3 games and had missed the next 10. He hasn't ramped minutes up gradually in the VFL, he will lack fitness. But I imagine he just stays close to goal and provides a tall target.

I assume a crowd of 85,000 is going to feel overwhelming at times to our younger players. The energy will be electric.

If they are able to harness it and excel in the moment, it could be the catalyst to send this team turbo mode.

Wish you pricks would stop with the mozzing! :tearsofjoy:
I swear to god if Kozi Ronkes us ...

People are under-estimating the Dusty effect - their greatest ever player - they will be up and about like there is no tomorrow. It is their biggest game of the year, their GF.
We are going to have to be at our very best and their form over the past couple of weeks hasn't been to bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is going to be a great test for youngsters. The Tiger fans will be feral. Hope the young guys guys don’t allow themselves to be too overwhelmed by it. In a way with the crowd it is going to be finals like. Richmond have done us a favour by holding off for CJ’s 50th match, it’s going to give them that finals like atmosphere which will be great.

People are under-estimating the Dusty effect - their greatest ever player - they will be up and about like there is no tomorrow. It is their biggest game of the year, their GF.
We are going to have to be at our very best and their form over the past couple of weeks hasn't been to bad.

They will surely come out red hot and manic. If we get off to a good start then the crowd could work in our favour.

Hawks vs Tigers
B: Impey Frost Weddle
F: Bolton Lynch Martin

HB: Sicily Scrimshaw Amon
HF: Cumberland Koschitzke Mansell

C: D'Ambrosio Worpel Jiath
C: McIntosh Taranto Ralphsmith

HF: Moore Chol McDonald
HB: Baker Balta Rioli

F: Ginnivan Gunston Hardwick
B: Short Broad Vlastuin

Foll: Meek Day Newcombe
Foll: Nankervis Graham Dow

Int: Nash Mackenzie Watson Dear sub:Breust
Int: Sonsie Campbell Brown Miller sub:McAuliffe

Key Matchups
There forward line is dangerous when you have Bolton, Martin & Lynch if they get the ball in there enough there is enough quality there to cause us issues!
Defence Matchups
Impey vs Bolton - I think having Seamus out, has got Impey to play on Bolton, the respected Jars has a big job this week we might lose some run from him this week, but this matchup would excite Jars.
Frost vs Lynch - Will try to clamp the big fella down has done a good job so far this year against the big gorillas.
Weddle vs Martin - has the athleticism to go with Dusty just not sure he has the strength(but who has), it will be good test for young Josh, we have Hardwick for an emergency if we need to break glass!
Sicily vs Cumberland - Cumberland will try and keep the captain honest and play a defensive role on him from intercepting and setting up our attacks from defence.
Scrimshaw vs Koschitzke - Kosi would be fired for the contest let's hope Scrimma continues his good form and when Kosi goes into play as the 2nd ruck it might free up Scrimma to be a loose man due to Richmond not playing another tall forward.

The midfield favors us we have more quality mids but they will have Dusty/Bolton/Baker to fold through there to help Taranto, Graham & Dow.
Midfield Matchups
Worpel/Nash vs Taranto - When Nash is playing midfield he will get first crack at Taranto and then when he rolls over to play as the 2nd ruck Worpel will go to Taranto.
Day vs Graham - it will be a good test for Will getting tagged but I think the cream will rise to the top and if he doesn't get Graham on the inside he will burn him on the outside.
Newcombe vs Dow - Jai can really have a big game having Graham going to Day, looking for Jai getting plenty of ball against the younger Dow.
Jiath vs Ralphsmith - they are both running machines so this is a big challenge for CJ to try and have more influence than Ralphsmith in his 50th game.
D'Ambrosio vs McIntosh - Mass has a big job this week Kam always seems to play well against us running up and down the wing, being a more defensive winger that has a hard edge has me putting Massimo on McIntosh.
Meek vs Nankervis - Big Lloyd is back and if he can nullify Big Nank this will lead us into controlling the midfield game.

Forward line is an even contest our forward line have been connecting well and we can really separate them in to two groups the talls and the smalls
Forward Matchups
Moore vs Baker - this match up of the mighty mouse's is exciting and Baker will go with Moore everywhere he goes whether its forward or midfield.
McDonald vs Rioli - the gut running these two will be doing will be a game within a game itself!
It's whether Connor can influence the game on the turnover when Rioli is running forward.
Ginnivan vs Short - the 3 tiger smalls are very attacking but so are the 3 Hawks boys so it's going to be a fun game of cat and mouse, but Jack was built for the big games and can see him having a big one on Saturday.
Chol vs Balta - Balta is in rare form but so is Mabs and as long he keeps Balta honest it will prevent him from trying to continue to come over the top and help his other defenders.
Gunston vs Broad - Gunners has been in good form in the last 3 weeks but that was against the bigger & bulkier defender(Andrews/Butts/Taylor) where he used his forward craft and agility to break from the big defenders and get the space, this week Broad is a better matchup for Jack, so it's going to be an interesting battle where Jack will need to use his footy smarts.
Hardwick vs Vlastuin - Dimma has a big job this week. Vlastuin to the Tigers is what Sicily is to Hawthorn he organises there defence and is the interceptor type so Dimma is the perfect matchup for him. Because we know Blake can kick goals in quick time if you dont respect him!

My feeling is we will smash the smaller bodies of there midfield and take control of the game in the third quarter and pull away.
Hawks by 26 points

Last edited:
Two thoughts:

1/ I'm assuming Breust will be sub. But I'm still not 100% convinced he will be. Probably 80%. I reckon there's still room for Mitchell to pull a surprise, but I just can't think who else it might be. Maybe Mackenzie? Will be a really important strategic decision.

2/ I feel like we're going to look back on this game in a few years as nearly as important as the line in the sand game. That will be regardless of the result - whether we smash them; a close win; they pip us; or they smash us. I think we'll use this game as a step ladder in the same way we have with Port. The narrative will differ depending on the result, but it's our first game in front of a huge crowd with this young, energetic team on the ascension.

Very excited about the weekend!

sorry for the imposition

Just a few points

Richmond is the worst performing club in the league for net free kicks in the last 8 years and this is not changing on Saturday so don't worry about us getting frees, it never happens and won't on saturday. On average we lose the net free kick count by 5+, and if I could bet on that at sportsbet I would be a very rich man

Looking forward to the game, think it will be a great contest, huge crowd , good luck to all, hopefully no injuries to anyone

Nankervis and Lynch will be extra physical . There will be a few late 'hits' from those two and some errant elbows and knees thrown in to get a retaliation from us

Great test for the guys , I'm excited to see how we handle it . Talking and preparing is one thing , performing and being cool out there is another .

sorry for the imposition

Just a few points

Richmond is the worst performing club in the league for net free kicks in the last 8 years and this is not changing on Saturday so don't worry about us getting frees, it never happens and won't on saturday. On average we lose the net free kick count by 5+, and if I could bet on that at sportsbet I would be a very rich man

Looking forward to the game, think it will be a great contest, huge crowd , good luck to all, hopefully no injuries to anyone

Regardless of the frees there will be an edge to the game. If our players aren't focused or lose focus then even without the frees u can get a jump

Things move on really quickly.

Last time we played these guys we put in a fantastic performance to 3Q time - kicking 15 goals before getting completely run over in the last quarter and losing by a point.

But:
  • Ned Long subbed in for DGB
  • Mitch Lewis, Chad, Marines and Brocky combined for 10 goals
  • We looked like boys in the last quarter, lacking muscle and stamina. I remember Richmond spread killing us

Oh how things have changed.

This should be a ripper of a game - Richmond will treat it as a GF with a full crowd and the team getting behind their beloved best player’s milestone.

For us, it’s Nick Watson time. He can’t play in the VFL again, so his mates need to get around him and encourage him to play his role.

It’s likely our team’s EF - if we win this we’ll have taken the next step.

Can’t wait for the siren to blow.

GO HAWKS!

Interesting how Hawthorn is seeing this game as its most important so far this season from a team perspective. Where as Richmond sees it as its most important from an individual's perspective. What is holds more clout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back