Autopsy Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Hawks have enough quality in the middle to compete with most sides if they are playing well even if they're bottom 8. You smashed us last year when we were off. Tom Mitchell, O Meara, Shiels, Worpel - not really plodders.

Ha! Not if you listen to the melters here. Mitchell is an overbearing ball magnet, OMeara an inconsistent show pony, Shiels a non-event and Worpel a plodder.

A surprisingly large number of opinions here are so negative and gloomy that sometimes I wonder if they aren't trolling just to get a rise and are exceptionally good at staying in character.

Impressed with Howe’s game today - Surprisingly.
Hanrahan invisible, has to go out for Chad. We can’t play 2 rucks as we need another key forward. Ceglar out for Lewis and TOB back up ruck.
Scrimshaw stays and always plays when fit. Should never be sub.
Also what’s going on with Worpel? We needed him to take his game to another level this year to help out midfield. His first 2 weeks have been average.

We hardly threatened Richmond all game yet couldn’t fault the effort. But the execution had a range of issues. Quite simply we don’t have the cattle with a fair bit of work to do.

Backline coming together, and forward line may look better with Gunston and Lewis but midfield looks in bad shape (almost needs a complete reset but won’t happen under Clarko given investment in the current group).

If we haven’t figured out by now how to play 2 rucks and all of Mitchell, JOM, worpel and shiels in same side is it ever going to happen?

I think the Hawks have enough quality in the middle to compete with most sides if they are playing well even if they're bottom 8. You smashed us last year when we were off. Tom Mitchell, O Meara, Shiels, Worpel - not really plodders.
3 of our top 5 werent playing which didn't help us. Round 23 should be different with who we will have available. We miss them terribly right now.

Tigers brand means even as the best team in the comp - they win by 30 against a bottom 6 or so side. Hawks of 2011-2015 would have put up a cricket score
Hawks had tougher Top 4 opponents to contend with in the three pest era also.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Never heard a team s*cked off by the commentators as much as Richmond was today, particularly by Garry Lyon.
Take nothing away from Richmond, they won in third gear, comfortably.
Pretty happy we had a decent crack at it.

Richmond are a very good side and deserve the accolades - Commentary were gushing of them, but from two guys In Dunstall and Lyon who know a bit about footy, they were also very complimentary of the hawks, so I’m not sure what it was you were listening to

Dunstall normally extreme in his criticism of the hawks to avoid criticism of bias, but thought today he was very balanced and “fair” in his assessment

3 of our top 5 werent playing which didn't help us. Round 23 should be different with who we will have available. We miss them terribly right now.

We are missing the three most talented players on the list right now. Of all the players to lose with injury. :(

The umpiring seemed to favour Richmond. They got the softer free kicks. The one paid against Worpel when he was already lying on the ground and the Richmond player fell over him infuriated me in particular.

Noticeable at the ground that the umpires weren’t at the top of their game. Made no difference.

Hopefully the boys will learn so much from this game. Including all the players that not playing today. We might not have the best talented players in the competition but teamwork will always wins in the end.

That's what lacking from this group of player, but it will come together with more games playing as a group.

Agree with everyone on over handball and turn over frenzy. But we kept Richmond goalless for quite sometime, so that's a good thing.

We need a classy and creative player like Burgyone. I feel like everytime he's playing in the midfield the footy can move forward and we can score.

Really excited watching CJ out-Dusty Dusty 🥰.

We had plenty of the ball but our kicking was atrocious and handballing to stationary blokes etc; you just cant do that against Richmond who apply
pressure better than anyone in numbers.

I thought Frost was our best today and was was really good taking them on down the middle. Howe who looks much fitter / slimmer, was excellent I thought attacking the ball head on. Jiath still obviously has a lot to learn such as manning up, but believe we looked much better when he came on in the second quarter and he always has a crack and he has a thumping kick when he uses it, not short chips.

Our backline is starting to gel and I think with Denver to come in and later Sicily hopefully should be very solid. Shame that can't be said about our forward line as overall pi..weak. The amount of times the ball is kicked in and just marked by the opposition backs with ease does my head in. Kos is still a work in progress but time is surely running out for O'Brien now?

Hardwick tried hard as did Impey and Phillips with Burgoyne nullifying Martin's impact I believe.

Our skills could not be worse so not that gutted and hate Sunday footy but Scrimshaw surely has to start the game hopefully along with Lewis, Downie, Denver, Cousins next week. Not sure what's happening with Gunston and Wingard? Maginness?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but noticed Mitchell played a bit on the wing and even half back for a bit, I know he had lots of touches but early got smashed in the middle, is this Clarko sending a message? Personally would have liked to see Howe in more centre stoppages for bash and crash. If we halved more of those contests we might have got closer particularly early. Effort definitely there from all and CJ great

Been watching through the replay .

Richmond's mids work so hard for each other at stoppages . They put a block on, open space for their teamate or they stop their opponants space quickly . Totally selfless .

Our guys have a crack but often go for the same ball , a few times we even got in space we had created .
Happened a fair bit last season and I know we would be working on it .

Those little things really hurt against the good sides .
Will be interesting to see if we change it up when we can ( Wingard ) or go for a new look in there with a few of the guys.
It looks great on paper but not operating as well as it reads .....if that makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have seen what T O’Brien and J Ceglar can produce. It’s time to move on and try someone else.

we need t play Reeves as he can’t be any worse than Ceglar. Likewise with L Mitchell and O’Brien. Almost 10 years on the list and still infuriatingly miles off the mark

Nothing against Richmond, and no shame in losing to them at this stage of the season, but why is it when we were top dogs we'd spend the first 7 or 8 rounds playing other teams from the previous season's top 8, whereas Richmond get 11th and 15th in the first 2 rounds?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but noticed Mitchell played a bit on the wing and even half back for a bit, I know he had lots of touches but early got smashed in the middle, is this Clarko sending a message? Personally would have liked to see Howe in more centre stoppages for bash and crash. If we halved more of those contests we might have got closer particularly early. Effort definitely there from all and CJ great
Howe, Worps and Jags is something I’d like to see more of.
There was a post earlier about Mitvhell getting to much of it on the inside forcing the likes of Warps and Jags to play second fiddle... we played some sensational footy out of the middle at the end of 2019 with these guys. Mitchell needs to be used in a limited capacity and spread the load.
Personally I like Worps as the Bull and fit the rest to suit.

Nothing against Richmond, and no shame in losing to them at this stage of the season, but why is it when we were top dogs we'd spend the first 7 or 8 rounds playing other teams from the previous season's top 8, whereas Richmond get 11th and 15th in the first 2 rounds?
No idea, but nothing will beat the time Hawthorn rolled into the new season to face the other 7 finalists from the previous year end on end, while the Swans were given the fledgling Suns and GWS outfits within the month.

Yep! Makes our threepeat all the more meritorious. Definitely no arm chair rides back then that's for sure...heck we still get rotten draws when we finish in the bottom 8!

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I settled back home had some dinner and gathered my thoughts about our game against Richmond.

That first quarter was a bit of shell shock to the boys they hadn't face that sort of pressure in quite a while. There were fumbles and missed handballs and kicks every where. We just didn't handle it well. At this stage i cast my mind back to the Essendon game. Richmond hadn't put us to the sword as yet. I wanted a response in that second qtr and i got it. We were determined to show we could play we didn't take a backward step and for all the mistakes we were still making our resolve to win the ball and the contest never waivered. A year ago we wouldn't have fought back like we did. The first real tick in my book for our improvement this year.

The second qtr was filled with inspirational plays some from the young up and comers in Kosi, CJ and Brockman and others by a player who always gets the raw end of the stick upon his selection. Howe was a real inspiration. He was the guy setting the example for everyone else to follow. He kept putting his body and effort into every contest. He showed the way for our young team. He deserves a special mention for our performance in the second.

The third qtr was a real arm wrestle. A lot of ppl around me insistent that Richmond would break us once they kicked that all important first goal. But they didn't we got the first. We were defending well and they were finding it just as hard to score. Our structures were well setup and we looked to be steadying and in fact i thought we had the upper hand for the first time in the match alas the injury to Day put a sour taste in my mouth to end the qtr. He would be a big loss.

Day is pretty quick he was able to defend well filling gaps and not allowing the Richmond smalls to get behind our defence. He had built a wall with impey hardwick and frost. The net now had a hole in it. Scrimshaw came on and although he played quite well with ball in hand. He didn't defend as well as Day did. We also had some characteristic skill errors from our young group and the tigers capitalised. It was a hard fought game and we never gave up we kept trying to play the hawthorn way. We believe in our system our structure and our game plan we just were not able to execute it well enough and for long enough against better opposition.

You can say what you like about the players. Some of them may not have as much skill as some of our most recent dominant sides but these young kids do not lack heart. They play for the jumper and the coach. I am sure Clarkson would have been pleased with what he saw even though we lost because i certainly was. Onwards and upwards lets see what we can dish out against the cats next week

Howe, Worps and Jags is something I’d like to see more of.
There was a post earlier about Mitvhell getting to much of it on the inside forcing the likes of Warps and Jags to play second fiddle... we played some sensational footy out of the middle at the end of 2019 with these guys. Mitchell needs to be used in a limited capacity and spread the load.
Personally I like Worps as the Bull and fit the rest to suit.
My post wasn’t just criticizing Mitchell early as we got smashed early with him, Jags and Worps but Howe is tall, long arms and tough worth a crack in rotations.

Can't believe people are still in here taking shots at Cegs. He was better than McEvoy today. Got back to take intercept marks on the last line a lot. Very happy with his performance.

I thought Titch played the worst 37 possession game you will see. Calling for the ball when you are in the absolute worst decision to receive it isn't a true sign of a leader. It's ball hungry. He needs to be better than that. For the record, TOB almost matched Titch for metres gained. Have a think about that for a second.

Tigers executed far better than we did. It's that simple. Our skill errors and poor decisions cost us, BUT, a lot to be excited about.

CJ is going to be a player. Not just a player either, but a star player.
Morrison was cool under pressure again.
Howe played one of his better games for us.
Brockman will be a star.
Our defensive unit were brilliant.
Frost is an underrated player.
Moore was good again but went under the radar a bit. Got in space, tackled and generally used the ball well.
Kosi showed enough to suggest he can become a very good player for us. Perhaps that third athletic tall when Gunston eventually retires.
Hardwick was immense.
We really took it to the team who has won 3 of the last 4 flags. A little more polish and we are right in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back