Review Round 2, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

sad homer simpson GIF

Oh, wait...

I hope Bailey didn’t do his hamstring in that last 12 minutes after we came back. Obviously Berry did the shoulder again. **** the Gabba is a complete ****hole. No wonder they have to spend billions to upgrade this “Olympic stadium”.

A solid three quarters marred by that ending. I wonder if players like Dunkley and McKenna come to the club and discernably notice the lack of mental fortitude which we consistently exhibit.

Just can't shake this feeling that we sweep every poor away loss under the carpet with a convincing home win, and never fix the issue at the source.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look good when the opposition don't show up and then can't give a yelp when they get a roll on

Classic us. Still not tough enough or have the leadership required to take the next step
Turn it up. Beat the form team of the last few years for 3.5 quarters, but it's the irrelevant last half quarter where we racked up injuries in garbage time that matters?

That's not glass half empty, that's glass 12.5% empty.

It was a disappointing last 10 minutes. I think the biggest issue is that I reckon the instructions from the coaching group was an opportunity to get match day simulation for finishing off a game. Was disappointing from that POV.

That being said, for more than 3/4 of that game the team played well. Melbourne pulled some goals from nowhere and kicked very straight which flattered them. I know Melbourne had Gawn out, but Grundy is a very good ruckman and we still won clearances 60-32 and contested possessions +14.

Look good when the opposition don't show up and then can't give a yelp when they get a roll on

Classic us. Still not tough enough or have the leadership required to take the next step
i think youre being a bit harsh

play should have never resumed after that long of a break, bodies gone cold, we had multiple injuries and players visibily cramping up. it was a complete balls up by the afl to resume play after that long

we just convincingly handled the flag favourites for the entirety of the non mickey-mouse portion of the game. lots of positives to take away

Max Gawn went down and pulled the plug out.

We completely monstered them and I was extremely pleased with how we went about that game.

Saw some really good glimpses of the midfield cohesion not just in stoppages but also in transition

The run off half-back we also saw here and there (that coast to coast goal was quite lovely to see)

Personally, I am completely writing off the post-power outage gametime as It wasn't indicative of the game for me. I just hope Berry isn't injured.

Lets continue to build into the season and really hit our strides.

4 points is 4 points, baby! :)

Anyone whinging about the slow 12 minutes at the end can look at Berry looking at time on the sideline and be proud of themselves wanting more of that?

What are you on about?

You realise that they still won right?

The team played as if they were told to get through the last 12 minutes and shut the game down. And then Melbourne came out firing. Did you not see the intensity lift from the Lions player when they realised that the game could be on the line?

I would definitly take the win at the start of the game, however what happened in the last 12 minutes once again showed a lack of grit and leadership. The fact that a Melbourne win was still possible in the last 4 minutes was crazy. Gabba is a joke, pretty sure this happened at a cricket game last season there
too. Zorko, hopefully he doesnt retire as we clearly need his energy

How can you not focus on that last 10mins. Port game all over again. Flat footed and zero urgency.
Because most of us watched the rest of the game, not just the last 10 minutes

Review Round 2, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Back