Review Round 2 - Sydney vs Collingwood - Where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

While I watched the game at ANz, it seems to me the biggest issue is lack of fitness and lack of team speed.

Some other takeaways:
Rohan has badly missed two set shots this year, but even more troubling he is supposed to be out there due to his speed. He doesn't have it anymore. He kept being run down. I'd drop him

We are sllloooowwww. I'd try to find a spot for B jack.

Finally , Pyke is being shown up for his short offseason after surgery. He was jogging in the 4th, and worse due to everyone else's poor fitness no one was there to help him on his marks. He can do many things but he should not be kicking to contest. As an aside , he was slow after marks bc he was so gassed.

I feel like I was watching a different game to everyone else because I feel like we were only shithouse for about a quarter and a half, where our disposal just fell to pieces and the Pies really lifted.

Also, before that, I I thought the overall quality of football was reasonably high. Skills weren't amazing but I think a large part of that is because it was being played pretty fiercely.

I thought the first quarter we looked especially organised.

Yeah I agree good to see someone posting with both eyes open but I do get the frustration and disappointment from fans on here.

disgruntled goat

Who are our ageing stars? Most of our most important players are mid twenties, while a few are a little younger or a little older.

Malceski, Shaw, O'Keefe, Richards, McVeigh off the top of my head, even Grundy and Pyke ... maybe not all 45 years old but our style of football over the past 6-8 years means these blokes have been playing that intense physical style of football for a long time ... throw in the injury worries to Goodes and LRT and that's a lot of our top players possibly facing burnout ...

Malceski, Shaw, O'Keefe, Richards, McVeigh off the top of my head, even Grundy and Pyke ... maybe not all 45 years old but our style of football over the past 6-8 years means these blokes have been playing that intense physical style of football for a long time ... throw in the injury worries to Goodes and LRT and that's a lot of our top players possibly facing burnout ...

And not only have they been playing intense football for many years but our stars have had very few breaks. Through injury or otherwise. I'm pretty sure swansfan51 has the stat somewhere, but our senior guys have played a very high number of games over the last few years without breaks. Guys like Malceski, ROK, Richards, Grundy, McVeigh, Kennedy, Jack, Hannebery, Smith have hardly missed any games since the start of the 2010 season. That's being up and playing tough, accountable football for an awfully long time.

Not sure where I stand on this topic, but that stuff is relevant I feel. I still think this side is capable of being top 4 (although I've maintained all offseason that I don't think we'll be a Grand Final side this year). There's too much pride in that group to allow this kind of form to continue but there might just be a cap on our performances with some of these senior guys and the km's they've run and the hits they've endured over the past few years.

While I watched the game at ANz, it seems to me the biggest issue is lack of fitness and lack of team speed.

Some other takeaways:
Rohan has badly missed two set shots this year, but even more troubling he is supposed to be out there due to his speed. He doesn't have it anymore. He kept being run down. I'd drop him

We are sllloooowwww. I'd try to find a spot for B jack.

Finally , Pyke is being shown up for his short offseason after surgery. He was jogging in the 4th, and worse due to everyone else's poor fitness no one was there to help him on his marks. He can do many things but he should not be kicking to contest. As an aside , he was slow after marks bc he was so gassed.
Agreed on Rohan. He did back himself in a couple of times, thinking he could burn off his opponent, but was caught on at least 2 occasions I can think of.

Fitness is the biggest issue for me. I thought they played pretty well for the first half, but at half time I mentioned to my mate that they looked buggered. "Not good with half a game left" he said, and how right he was.

Just repeating the commentary re it being greasy, and there was rain earlier in the day which didnt dry, and it started to sprinkle down at during half time and into the third quarter. Again, I'm just repeating the commentary, don't shoot the messenger.

Collingwood are our bogey team according to the stats. No other team has such a poor win/loss ratio against another in the last 10 years.

If you dont think we didnt underestimate GWS that is fine. IMO we did.

Sorry but the commentators were full of it. The day before was wet. But Saturday even though we'd had some overnight rain was beautiful bright day. I went to Manly Beach with my brother, his wife & child who were visiting from SA. It was the first decent day they had experienced as they only arrived on Thursday. The commentators suck, they are giving misinformation. It does get dewy and a little moist on the surface at the Olympic Stadium as it is built on a swamp.

Sorry but the commentators were full of it. The day before was wet. But Saturday even though we'd had some overnight rain was beautiful bright day. I went to Manly Beach with my brother, his wife & child who were visiting from SA. It was the first decent day they had experienced as they only arrived on Thursday. The commentators suck, they are giving misinformation. It does get dewy and a little moist on the surface at the Olympic Stadium as it is built on a swamp.
fair enough if the commentators are full of it, but from vision of the game there was very poor disposal from both teams, including multple kicks where players just plain slipped on their asses after kicking the ball, millions of turnovers from both teams, and a high number of out-on-the-full kicks from set shots.

Sydney's efficiency is usually poor, so add this to their poor form and low confidence and it is not surprising they played the way they did. collingwood weren't much better. pendles was the only player to handle the conditions well.

ANZ is a cow paddock, and the worst surface in the AFL. It is embarrassing that games are played there.

It was raining at the ground, maybe during the 3rd? It was pretty light but would have been enough to make the ball slippery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 'rain' wasn't enough to dampen a tissue, so light and for less than 5 minutes it was hardly a factor at all.

It was a humid day and night tho, so it was that slippery greasy conditions you get at Metricon and Cairns/Darwin...

The 'rain' wasn't enough to dampen a tissue, so light and for less than 5 minutes it was hardly a factor at all.

Tell that to the annoying woman next to me had her designer umbrella up the whole time.

Does anyone else wish we could swap Reid for Everitt.

When Tippett returns we will have a deep full forward. After last night's performance, I don't think Reid can play the swingman at the back..
Can you hear the sound of the wind whistling through the great open expanse of the Nullabor, rustling through the blades of grass on the deserted plains out west where ne'er a footstep has trod this decade or last?

Um no. Reidy is an infinitely better player than Dre. Reid has one of the cleanest marks in the game at the moment, and has much more potential either back or forward. Dre is on his last stint at his third club - and he is nevertheless a decent player. But Reidy is a gun. And has plenty of room to step up too. Reid for Everitt would be the worst deal since we gave away Carey as the chips on the $10,000 deal we received from North to secure Horse from Sydney as a rookie.

Agreed on Rohan. He did back himself in a couple of times, thinking he could burn off his opponent, but was caught on at least 2 occasions I can think of.

He ran a few opposition players down. He is a talent and is going to take a little bit more time to be 100%. Him taking on the opponents was a very good sign I hope they encourage him to continue. Jetta did as well hope they both keep it up as their timing will come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 2 - Sydney vs Collingwood - Where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back