Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 7+

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish it was going ahead. To get back to what you were saying though, McKenna must be a good chance of playing i would hope. He was available for round 1 and could've trained as much as anyone during the layoff. He was in quarantine for 2 weeks but could've completed a stretching and strengthening program, and has now had 2 weeks of normal training.
McKenna apparently caught up with the pace of match-sim yesterday quite easily and could be a chance. Maybe he gets Fantasia's place?

Maybe an issue with Snelling as well; didn't participate in match-sim.

Last edited:
McKenna apparently caught up with the pace of match-sim yesterday quite easily and could be a chance. Maybe he gets Fantasia's place?

Thats good news for McKenna. Hopefully Snelling and Redman ok, both pretty important to the game style we seem to be going for.

I think we need Stringer forward. One kick out of the middle and it's in his lap well inside the F50. I'd be sending Parish to Parker, Heppell to Kennedy. As you say, I'd take low 20's possie wise from those two also and frees up Merrett to accumulate and Shiel to cut them up from the stoppages.

Can't see that you've mentioned Lloyd anywhere and I think Smith should go to him if we can work the matchup. Older head and will ensure he's accountable. We'll lose if we let Lloyd quarterback them with 30+ touches.

I'd give Papley to someone other than Saad. If Saady can get off the chain off a HBF in a more attacking role we'll slice them to shreds and give their defenders a terrible time. I'm not sure who goes to Papley though in saying that.

Lloyd's an interesting one. A lot of his possessions come from kick-ins so nothing we can do about that (well besides kicking straight). We don't really have a recognised role player that locks down on a rebounding small defender but on the flip side most of our small forwards do apply pretty good defensive pressure - Tippa the standout. Smith could do the role but I prefer him in the midfield mostly because he adds a lot of defensive pressure in there compared to the rest of our midfield unit.

Letting Saad run around free would be nice but you need someone with genuine pace on Papley. Normally it would be Saad, McKenna or Redman - with the latter two looking likely to miss. Would I trust someone like Gleeson or Ridley on him? Nah - they would kill him in the air but once it hits the deck they'd be a lot of trouble. McGrath could play back for the match and would be a suitable choice but feels like robbing Peter to pay Paul. I'd back Saad to be accountable and still deliver good rebound for us.

I reckon McKenna would play well if named, physically he's always been a great athlete and probably doesn't need a lot of training to get up to pace - pretty sure Harvey basically said this at some point. That said with only 2 weeks of real training I suspect they'd be concerned with the risk of injury. We will definitely end up with egg on our face if we play him and does a soft tissue injury early on. Its a tough call.

I'm a massive McKenna fan so im not sure if I want him to be named or not given the above.

Can the team settle down a tad on the injuries

If Redman, Daniher, Fantasia and Walla all miss I'd go:

Francis - Ambrose - Gleeson
Ridley - Hurley - Saad
Cutler - McGrath - Heppell
McKenna - McKernan - Townsend
Snelling - Hooker - Stringer
Bellchambers - Merrett - Shiel
Parish - Langford - Smith - Guelfi

Guelfi as the rotational defender, Langford the rotational wing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redman, Tippa, Fantasia , Daniher and Snelling out.

B: Saad Hurley Ridley
HB: Francis Hooker Gleeson

C: Cutler Heppell McGrath
Foll: BChambers Shiel Merrett

HF: Townsend McKernan McKenna
F: Smith Stringer Zaka

B: Ambrose (7th Def) , Parish , Langford , Laverde

Redman, Tippa, Fantasia , Daniher and Snelling out.

B: Saad Hurley Ridley
HB: Francis Hooker Gleeson

C: Cutler Heppell McGrath
Foll: BChambers Shiel Merrett

HF: Townsend McKernan McKenna
F: Smith Stringer Zaka

B: Ambrose (7th Def) , Parish , Langford , Laverde
Why is Snelling out? Surely not in deference to Laverde.

Disappointing Redman and Tip will miss.

Ambrose Hooker Francis
Ridley Hurley Saad
Cutler Shiel Merrett
McKenna McKernan Smith
Townsend Stewart Stringer
TBC Heppell McGrath
Parish Zaka Langford Snelling

Best chance to give Stewart a decent re-entry after the time he's missed with everyone else not playing for 3 months.

Those who missed Sat practice game

• Daniher who was the only player not sighted (apart from McBride and McQuilan still in isolation)
  • Fantasia was running, doing some lateral movements and kicking. His quad must be at the very minor end of the scale to be doing so much already, expect him to miss no more than 1 or 2 matches
  • Jones and Bryan who both did some work on the rehab ground before going inside the hanger and doing bike work
  • Redman who was again on the sidelines for the whole session. I have no idea what the problem was but he’s now missed the last week of training and must be in doubt for round 2
  • Cahill did a lot of running and some skills work on the rehab oval
  • Gown was on the sidelines and didn’t train at all
  • Johnson did a small amount of running on the rehab oval
  • Draper spent the whole session on the rehab oval. He did a lot of running along with ruckwork and various non contact drills
  • Snelling who competed in various drills on the second oval
  • Hird who was absent with his foot problems

Surely McKenna just has to play forward now. Missing that X-Factor with Daniher, Fantasia and Walla out.

Disappointing Redman and Tip will miss.

Ambrose Hooker Francis
Ridley Hurley Saad
Cutler Shiel Merrett
McKenna McKernan Smith
Townsend Stewart Stringer
TBC Heppell McGrath
Parish Zaka Langford Snelling

Best chance to give Stewart a decent re-entry after the time he's missed with everyone else not playing for 3 months.
If Redman misses i would've thought Marty Gleeson comes in.

players getting injured at training after 9 months off.

we are Essendon, we are Essendon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back