Autopsy Round 20, 2022: Hawthorn leave it late against the Aints

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunstall is hard on us when we play like s**t. :'(
Dunstall is hard on us period. Umpire could pay a free kick to McEvoy for head high tackle standing vertically on another players shoulders and Dunstall would say "He was lucky to get that, looked to me like he ducked into it."

Two things stood out today amongst the angst.

1. Reeves is so bloody crucial to our gameplan. We look a class above when he plays. Need to keep the big noodle in tip top shape next year.

2. Newcombe is a really beautiful shot for goal on top of everything else he’s bringing to the table.

Kosi has been horrible for a while. Can’t believe he was selected. Was shocking before the corkie aswell.

For all the talk that we should be looking in the state leagues for a potential fifth ruckman - getting a somewhat capable tall forward to draw fire for Lewis and stop him being double teamed is what we need from the state leagues.

That's a loss that feels like a win, thanks to the last quarter effort. Some people say it's a junk time, no it's a character building, never give up until the final siren gone.

Hopefully we give Gunston another contract. He's the only forward that have leading pattern but often got ignored. Lewis and Kosi can learn from him.

Josh Ward ❤❤❤ , he's controlling the game, so happy with his progress. Was really surprised that Scrimshaw and Newcombe in the forward line but both marking beautifully and kicked goals. Great flexibility to have when players can play multiple position.

Special mention to James Blanck, love all his spoils 😬.

The hawks supporters around me(myself included) going berserk for every goal kicked in the last quarter. Plenty to learn from this game.

Go Hawks!!!!

Saints played with a lot of intensity in the first half and were better organised. Once they started to tire we got back into the game but it was way too late. However, much better effort than the last time we met and we will take a bit from the game.

Maginness BoG IMO. Showed a lot in all departments. He has been slow to develop but I am increasingly confident he will starting in the guts next year. Ward did a lot of nice things.

Probably the biggest positive was Sam's moves. Maybe should have been some moves earlier in the game but there is a real contrast with Clarko who often stuck with a losing setup.

The ruck situation is very worrying. McEvoy is a relief ruckman at best . Neither Kosi nor Nash cut the mustard as second ruck. Nash was having a decent game until called into the ruck. Lynch has to play if Reeves is unavailable.

I thought our big forwards actually brought the footy to the ground pretty regularly but we were second to the ground ball. Our f50 pressure was also non existent for the majority of the game. I think we even had 7 more inside 50's.
I can understand young fellas getting more weary towards the end of the year so it might be a tough month.

BB at this stage is a number 2 ruckman. Can't handle the physicality of being #1.

Reeves is so important to us. He's going to be a star.

Saints played with a lot of intensity in the first half and were better organised. Once they started to tire we got back into the game but it was way too late. However, much better effort than the last time we met and we will take a bit from the game.

Maginness BoG IMO. Showed a lot in all departments. He has been slow to develop but I am increasingly confident he will starting in the guts next year. Ward did a lot of nice things.

Probably the biggest positive was Sam's moves. Maybe should have been some moves earlier in the game but there is a real contrast with Clarko who often stuck with a losing setup.

The ruck situation is very worrying. McEvoy is a relief ruckman at best . Neither Kosi nor Nash cut the mustard as second ruck. Nash was having a decent game until called into the ruck. Lynch has to play if Reeves is unavailable.
Give lynch the chances kosi has had

Writing after thinking, a few points:

- the umpiring killed us early and rightly or wrongly a few.of the fellas dropped their heads wondering what is the point. Need to learn from that.

- long first season for a few of the youngsters and I think Saints early intensity and tired bodies became a perfect storm.

- forward line was dysfunctional and injuries only added to that

Glad they ended the game with some fight and spirit and it's all part of a learning season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost that at selection. FFS Lynch had to play as a 2nd ruck option. I've never seen a ruck dominate like Marshall did tonight. He had 30 touches FFS!!!

Great comeback though. Anything less than a 10 goal margin against this mob is an improvement. We could've turned the toes up but didn't. Augurs well.

Newcombe showed why you don't pot shot second year players mid game, dominated the second half with 14 touches and 2 goals and along with Ward almost won the game for us. Put a lot of people back in their place.
Mitchell and O'merea were awful they needed to lift with Newcombe coping a tag, they didn't.
Ward and Macdonald are class, nailed last years draft with those two.
Maginness becoming the player we all hoped.
Jeka took his chances when they came, didn't look out of place.
Breust and Gunston had games to forget.
Lewis has been sore for over a month, send him to surgery and clean out his knee ready for preseason.

Fight back was good after feeling like the players didn't care for 3 quarters. Really feel like when the fans started to get restless, the players stood up. They weren't going to let us walk away unhappy. First time I've thought they are playing for us

Moving newcombe forward completely rattled the saints. Their defensive structures collapsed. Him kicking 2 goals was also invaluable

Really happy seeing our intercept defenders being shifted forward too. They read the play so well

Dunstall is hard on us period. Umpire could pay a free kick to McEvoy for head high tackle standing vertically on another players shoulders and Dunstall would say "He was lucky to get that, looked to me like he ducked into it."
So now both the umpires and commentators are biased and have an anti hawks mantra? Woe is me.

Shows with Kosi, that without a bad preseason, you struggle.
Last year he had a great preseason and was the surprise packet

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Koschitzke isn’t the answer as the second key forward. He doesn’t win enough of the ball, take marks inside 50 or generate scoring shots.

Terrible start. Left it too late. What is more frustrating are Saints are not serious flag contenders this year. Can’t let sides like that get away for three quarters. Positive is it wasn’t a total drubbing.

Koschitzke isn’t the answer as the second key forward. He doesn’t win enough of the ball, take marks inside 50 or generate scoring shots.

Jeka's talent and footy IQ with Kosi's athleticism and aggression would be the best KPP in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2022: Hawthorn leave it late against the Aints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back