Preview Round 20 - Essendon VS St Kilda - Marvel - Saturday 27/7/24 - 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just maybe Heppell brings some leadership. Might have helped in the last 10 minutes. Wright massive upgrade on Goldy and does well at Marvel. Parish instantly makes us a better clearance side.

Hopefully Parish ready to go. Looking forward to see how he goes with Durham & Caldwell.

Perkins lucky but he is not an inside mid so hopefully forward.

Apart from Davey, I like the changes. Don't think Hayes, Roberts quire ready and Hobbs is hardly ripping the VFL apart.

Don't quite understand the changes, other than perhaps it's Scott going with his default which is default to senior players.

I get the Wright for Goldstein change (I think), but would almost have rather edited an extra small and let Cox relief ruck. Heppell is a strange one but I wonder if they see him as a calming influence (our back line lost its collective minds in the 2nd and 4th quarters last week). That's the best I got.

The big query for me is Parish. I am one of his biggest fans but I would have thought that Tsatas or Hobbs have earned that spot through VFL form first, particularly after such a long layoff.
Unless there is some alternative plan I can't think of.

Haven’t seen the list but interested to know how many inside mids are in both the worst and best kicks inside 50 list.
Worst
1. Matt Kennedy (Carlton)

2. Caleb Serong (Fremantle)

3. Noah Anderson (Gold Coast)

4. Jack Crisp (Collingwood)

5. Sam Walsh (Carlton)

6. Jordan Dawson (Adelaide)

7. Matt Rowell (Gold Coast)

8. Jack Viney (Melbourne)

9. Jye Caldwell (Essendon)

10. Darcy Wilmot (Brisbane)
Best
1. Ed Richards (Western Bulldogs)

2. Dan Houston (Port Adelaide)

3. Toby Greene (GWS)

4. Nic Martin (Essendon)

5. Brad Hill (St Kilda)

6. James Worpel (Hawthorn)

7. Hayden Young (Fremantle)

8. Elliot Yeo (West Coast)

9. Liam Duggan (West Coast)

10. Cam Rayner (Brisbane)

Champion data.

Last edited:
Heppell isn't a logical replacement for anyone, especially someone just as poor as he is these days.
Wright doesn't need to play with Cox and Jones there
No argument on Parish
Menzie is shit, Perkins needs to find his feet in the VFL as there are many players who can easily play his position
Agree, our forward pressure is non-existent.
Stringer hasn't hit form for 6 weeks, last week he was actually a joke.
For a bloke who is out you have a lot to say :p:p

So wait.

We omit Wright due to form and then bring him right back in without forcing him to play VFL and earn back his spot?

Hard man Brad at it again!
Wright's punishment was having to sit and watch the entire Crows car crash from the stand.

Wright and Heppell should be earning their spot back
At a real club they would

Here they get a week off and straight back in.

Lesson for all those slugging it out in the 2's, no need to try as it doesn't matter in the end.

Just maybe Heppell brings some leadership. Might have helped in the last 10 minutes. Wright massive upgrade on Goldy and does well at Marvel. Parish instantly makes us a better clearance side.

Hopefully Parish ready to go. Looking forward to see how he goes with Durham & Caldwell.

Perkins lucky but he is not an inside mid so hopefully forward.

Apart from Davey, I like the changes. Don't think Hayes, Roberts quire ready and Hobbs is hardly ripping the VFL apart.
We would have lost by two more goals for his “leadership” McKay isn’t the only one that hand off a couple direct goals to the opposition

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rated in the top 10 worst kicks inside 50 .

So says Champion Data, but we've also had trouble taking marks for most of the year, so I'll consider that stat with one eye open and instead trust my Bruno-vision.

He doesn't seem to have anywhere near Parish or McGrath-type clangers.

It's an annoying stat because he even said himself if it's a long bomb to a pack that ends up with your team it's considered a good entry.
If the stat is measured on the result of such a random event that if the ball spills off a pack to a small it's considered a good kick compared if it spills to the opposition small it's a negative kick.

The context of the stat breaks down when that's how it's measured.
Becomes more a forward line efficiency stat rather than a kicking efficiency entry stat.

Caldwell generally kicks the ball well in that they are usually low and flat kicks around the ground, compared to say a Hep with his lollypop kicks (not an excuse to bag Hep just a good illustration of those loopy kicks).

So says Champion Data, but we've also had trouble taking marks for most of the year, so I'll consider that stat with one eye open and instead trust my Bruno-vision.

He doesn't seem to have anywhere near Parish or McGrath-type clangers.
It is actually one of the easiest stats to measure but hey keep your head in the sand if you want.

It seems like your complaints are more about our list being shit than the actual team selected.
  • Heppell is the only logical replacement for an injured Kelly, who lets be honest, is not that much better than Heppell.
  • - Hayes has been very good and was worth a shot in this game
  • The severely out of form Wright is a large upgrade on Goldstein from both a structural perspective and an output perspective.
  • - I wouldn't have played either - rucking Cox where needed or going no ruck at all at contests around the ground
  • Underone Parish is just you making things up, there's no way for you to know he's underdone unless you are apart of the Essendon medical team.
  • - EFC are the kings of playing injured mids. I'm saying don't be upset if we've plyed him too early and he comes up sore.
  • Menzie and Perkins... I can't defend Perkins being in. That's my only criticism. Menzie has shown a lot more flexibility than all the other small forwards on our list.
  • - Perko was done the week before - horrible choice. Menzie is way off at the moment too, with fumbly hands like Trav Collier. I'd play either of the Davey boys over him this week
  • Stringer out of form... ok and you really think 2 bad games warrants him being in the VFL and replaced with who?
  • - Yes. Hobbs

Worst
1. Matt Kennedy (Carlton)

2. Caleb Serong (Fremantle)

3. Noah Anderson (Gold Coast)

4. Jack Crisp (Collingwood)

5. Sam Walsh (Carlton)

6. Jordan Dawson (Adelaide)

7. Matt Rowell (Gold Coast)

8. Jack Viney (Melbourne)

9. Jye Caldwell (Essendon)

10. Darcy Wilmot (Brisbane)
Best
1. Ed Richards (Western Bulldogs)

2. Dan Houston (Port Adelaide)

3. Toby Greene (GWS)

4. Nic Martin (Essendon)

5. Brad Hill (St Kilda)

6. James Worpel (Hawthorn)

7. Hayden Young (Fremantle)

8. Elliot Yeo (West Coast)

9. Liam Duggan (West Coast)

10. Cam Rayner (Brisbane)

Champion data.

this is a woeful stat. caldwell is a gun kick. champion data are just way off base so often.

Scott making it hard to defend him.

Returning to previous all conquering midfield of sheil, parish and merret.

But seriously, I think the one thing every footy fan agreed on and that history clearly demonstrates was parish, shiel and merret achieved sweet fa and never worked well.

Guess not, a great chance with heppel, parish and Wright straight back in after no vfl games to firmly re-establish and cement essendons mediocre dynasty. Also known as the loser era or the finals drought decades.

This ultimate average was only achieved by fully embracing mediocrity, great pr spin, by never making a tough decision on mediocre talent and refusing to raise standards in any sustained or meaningful way. 😪

Club is losing me at refusing to shift our focus/year to development. Fair enough 2 weeks ago but we are wasting weeks and likely majority of the year now that could have been used for development.

Longer term success. Clubs 8 year plan means waste years 1-3, develop and build year 4-6, finals y, flag 8. Finally the 8 year thing makes sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back