Preview Round 20 - Essendon VS St Kilda - Marvel - Saturday 27/7/24 - 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the melts from the same people who have advocated this as a year of development. Development is happening people, this is what it looks like. Last year at this stage of the season the players looked cooked. This year they are up and down during each game, but at least at times look sharp. I haven’t read much since Friday night - too depressing, but I’ve seen a surprising number of people pointing at the likes of Langford instead of McKay? The guy seriously gifted the crows two goals in the second quarter. I’m not complaining about that, he’s been immense this year, but you can see fatigue is getting to all of them at times. And on the plus side, development from the likes of jones and cox has been a huge relief, let alone Durham and Caldwell.
The crows looked to me like they played out of their skins - some of their ball movement was sublime, yet we held even while fumbling constantly. We clearly looked to have the higher ceiling.
In short, **** this year who cares? What counts is big steps have been taken.

I’m hoping Brad makes a few changes…
Need pace against Saints - bring in Hind and Davey - Hind plays back, Martin forward
Cox & Jones to rotate wing/CHF
2MP & Draper rotate ruck only - neither as a key forward...
Stringer SUB - needs a rocket

OUT: Menzie, Guelfi, Perkins, Goldy
IN: Hind, Davey, Hobbs, 2MP

Redman McKay Kelly
Ridley Lav McGrath
Cox Caldwell Duursma
Martin Jones Gresham
Langford Caddy Davey

2MP Durham Merrett

Bench: Shiel Hobbs Hind Draper
SUB: Stringer
Like these changes. I'd start Draper on the ground though. I think 2MP pinches for Draper, not the other way around. 2MP won't give us the momentum we need to start that Draper would.

OUT: Kelly, Lav, Jones, Guelfi, Shiel, Perkins, Goldy
IN: Reid, SEH, Hunter, Parish, Davey, Hind, Bryan

Ridley McKay Redman
Martin Reid McGrath
Cox Parish Duursma
SEH Caddy Davey
Langford Hunter Stringer

Bryan Durham Merrett

Bench: Cadwell Tsatas Gresham Draper
SUB: Hind

Yep, agree with these.

Keen to see how Hunter, Reid and SEH go.

Love the melts from the same people who have advocated this as a year of development. Development is happening people, this is what it looks like. Last year at this stage of the season the players looked cooked. This year they are up and down during each game, but at least at times look sharp. I haven’t read much since Friday night - too depressing, but I’ve seen a surprising number of people pointing at the likes of Langford instead of McKay? The guy seriously gifted the crows two goals in the second quarter. I’m not complaining about that, he’s been immense this year, but you can see fatigue is getting to all of them at times. And on the plus side, development from the likes of jones and cox has been a huge relief, let alone Durham and Caldwell.
The crows looked to me like they played out of their skins - some of their ball movement was sublime, yet we held even while fumbling constantly. We clearly looked to have the higher ceiling.
Couldn't agree more. Not flustered about results from here. Same improvements and adding more youth next year and we look ok. Hopefully they can fix McKay's weaknesses. Lots of growth in Martin still too if can improve polish.

Agree, but I think most are disappointed because there have been chances to fight for a top 4 spot - no, we're not going to make a Prelim, but playing 2 finals would be great experience, win lose or draw. Plus, it can be hard to see improvements, even though they're there, when you completely drop off for no discernible reason.
If the season ended today, I'd be very happy with the progress. If we split our remaining games, still happy. If we disappear into the abyss again, not so happy.

Don't think they can do much.
friends telling GIF

That's a bit of a cop out though in regards purely to Crows game. They had their two key defenders off injured all second half and Dawson off last qtr. So one player left on the bench in the last qtr and we blow a 15 point lead with 4 mins left against a much less experienced side! That's just not good enough.

That's a bit of a cop out though in regards purely to Crows game. They had their two key defenders off injured all second half and Dawson off last qtr. So one player left on the bench in the last qtr and we blow a 15 point lead with 4 mins left against a much less experienced side! That's just not good enough.
But you're ignoring that innate ability we have to turn the most BOG average player into a Wayne Carey/Gary Ablett (snr & jnr)/Leigh Matthews styled super unit ie: BEN KEAYS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judging by the Scott comments today, we could see Wright and Parish in, Heppell still out.

Heppell was very good at the start of the season. Just didn't show enough in the last couple matches.
At this point he would do good passing the touch, helping out the younger players in the VFL team. Time waits for no man.

We lose this. Some sad supporters by Sunday. Me? I am tuning out. Flew too close to the sun in a development year.
share the mentality but disagree with flying close to the sun. we played well & crashed and burned in a development year. lesser clubs would’ve ranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back