Preview Round 20 - Essendon VS St Kilda - Marvel - Saturday 27/7/24 - 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm fairly certain there was an article rating him one of our best users earlier in the year.

really my point is the metrics they're using are junk.

It just requires a bit more thinking then "top 10 inside 50 kicks are good".

As he went on to say when he was quizzes on it, if you bomb it into a forward 50 to a contest and it spills your way it's considered a good entry.
So if Caldwell hits Langford on a lead out of congestion it's rated the same as if Martin makes a dumb decision and bombs it to a two on one to stringer who gets lucky and dribbles it off the ground.

It does appear they consider scoring as very key to their metric, whilst others use the retain statistic which doesn't always take into account the quality of the scoring opportunity it creates, or the difficulty of the kick going in.
Which is how you should rate good kicks, personally I don't care if a player in space under little pressure hits a leading forward. That's a kick you should make as an AFL player, that doesn't make you a good kick.
I'm more interested in a weighted pass over a defender after breaking from a pack that leads the forward and brings them to space, that is a much harder kick and id consider that player better skilled.

It all requires context, instead we get it presented and farmed out on socials as a list ranking and people take it at face value.

Caldwell is one of our better kickers, generally speaking. Does that make him a good kick? No.
I much prefer the ball in his hands than many on the team.

So given the year Heppell has had, why is it a given on this board that he’s cooked? From memory everyone decided he was cooked 3 years ago and then he came back for a solid year last year. Then he was cooked late last year but guess what? Now he is cooked again? You lot want to learn any lessons? Analysis of him is totally suffering from confirmation bias; anything he does well is underplayed and anything he does badly is overblown.

For me Heppells most productive use has been as a medium intercept defender with little one on one accountability.

This is Ridley’s best role and when Ridley was out heppel filled it very well.

But now Ridleys back and playing him out of position at KPD2 to keep Heppell in as a neutral player in one of the most important attacking positions in the side my issue.

For me Heppells most productive use has been as a medium intercept defender with little one on one accountability.

This is Ridley’s best role and when Ridley was out heppel filled it very well.

But now Ridleys back and playing him out of position at KPD2 to keep Heppell in as a neutral player in one of the most important attacking positions in the side my issue.

Using Ridley in an accountable KP role is another one of those playing a player outside their best role decisions that annoys me about what we are doing as a club

Using Ridley in an accountable KP role is another one of those playing a player outside their best role decisions that annoys me about what we are doing as a club

Thing that shot me the most recently was an interview talking about Nick cox playing wing alongside jones and how good Jones was as a winger.

Like STFU you didn’t know he (jones) could play wing 2/3 weeks ago and were just throwing shit at the wall hoping something stuck

This is the same coaching staff that started last season with Kyle Langford at HB. Ironically very bad at identifying flankers

I'm sorry, I'm sorry - but Heppell might be the first gun to genuinely not have an AFL-level strength that he brings to the table.

As mentioned above, if we're looking for strengths - he can find himself in the right positions as he reads the play well. And his endurance is okay to the point where he can get himself in contests.

It genuinely ends there. He's a liability with the ball in his hands to the point where he has clearly been instructed about 18 months ago to not do anything but sideways/backwards/maybe diagonal 15m kicks. I suppose you could argue that has neutralised a weakness.
But he also can't play on anyone. He's too short to take a key, and too slow to take anyone smaller than a key.

His marking above his head used to be a strength. I would now say it's 'okay'.

But genuinely - it's not "hating on the guy" to say he's run his race. We could, and should, be having a look at Roberts in a similar role.
And yet if he played last week I seriously doubt they would have kicked 8 goals in a row. We looked like headless chooks at times and what Heppell brings is knowing where to be and what’s needed. He was close to best on field a few games earlier this year so he still clearly offers something. But positionally and team balance wise it’s harder to say.

For me it is an opportunity cost thing.

I believe whatever leadership Heppell offers on field is not worth the cost of giving less playing time to a younger player who will be apart of our next push.

We should be playing Ridley in this role as long term if we want to challenge he will be the general of the backline. He needs practice leading. That in turn opens up a spot for either Hayes to play on big boys or Roberts to come in and usw his kicking as a weapon.
Yes but we still have a backline that can give up 8 goals in 10 mins. Balance is a thing.

The issue against Adelaide wasn’t our forward half, we had more than enough chances. The reason we didn’t beat Adelaide was because our whole backline was pathetic

Exactly.

Our back 6 only wanted to play contactless footy. Any sign where they had to absorb direct/inferred pressure was not in the script against the front runnng Crows & when it came it was a circus.

Ben McKay & Redman would want to be tensing themselves well before they run out this week, as some of their efforts last week were disgusting, but they had plenty of mates too.

Yes but we still have a backline that can give up 8 goals in 10 mins. Balance is a thing.

Exactly.

Our back 6 only wanted to play contactless footy. Any sign where they had to absorb direct/inferred pressure was not in the script against the front runnng Crows & when it came it was a circus.

Ben McKay & Redman would want to be tensing themselves well before they run out this week, as some of their efforts last week were disgusting, but they had plenty of mates too.

When the Crows got their run on it was often a centre clearance with clean disposal into an open forward line thanks to the 6-6-6 rule. The midfield were every bit as crap as the backline during that period.

Late in the game, well the whole team shit the bed. There was more than 6 people in defence and pretty much all of them were ordinary. Defenders, midfielders and forwards all flooded the defensive half of the ground and couldn't do anything of note with or without the ball.

Win or no win, selection is f***ed this week.

Tsatas and Hobbs probably ask for trades, Setters, Hind maybe delisted…Hayes, Roberts, Davey boys on the list for a while without a game or not many games…Weideman is absolutely nowhere to be found…for once I have no idea what strategy this club will employ during off season…

Win or no win, selection is f***ed this week.

Tsatas and Hobbs probably ask for trades, Setters, Hind maybe delisted…Hayes, Roberts, Davey boys on the list for a while without a game or not many games…Weideman is absolutely nowhere to be found…for once I have no idea what strategy this club will employ during off season…
Really? It will be : extend contracts for Heppell, Goldstein and Kelly, delist a few promising youngsters that were left to languish in the VFL, and then ‘win trade week’ again ✔️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? It will be : extend contracts for Heppell, Goldstein and Kelly, delist a few promising youngsters that were left to languish in the VFL, and then ‘win trade week’ again

Imagine being a fly on the wall at the selection table and having all these players to choose from and that’s the result they came up with…aren’t they even the least bit curious as to how these young guys will go playing all together?

I can say that I am not a fan of some of the selections but I do not blame the coach for not running up the white flag and picking a side they think can get a result . Does not matter what us mugs in the peanut gallery think . We have maybe 50% of the information to form an opinion.

Young gun mids at a big 4 vic club - how often do they ask for trades? Genuinely asking because I can't think of many.

Yeah not many and I hope both stay…talking mainly out of frustration…it feels like we are rotating the same 5 or 6 players in and out of the team every week…

I can say that I am not a fan of some of the selections but I do not blame the coach for not running up the white flag and picking a side they think can get a result . Does not matter what us mugs in the peanut gallery think . We have maybe 50% of the information to form an opinion.

Haha I wish I had 50% of info…your measured and logical posts on here are like the grounding we need when we’re all losing our heads irrationally at the team

Hobbs practising tagging is a good move. Frees up Caldwell to be more attacking - he's an excellent field kick. Love that.
Was late to this… just read 50 posts about his kicking…

To be fair, he’s in genuinely good company with that list. Would love Serong, Anderson, Walsh, Dawson, Rowell and Caldwell at EFC every day of the week.

Does it come down to how / where he’s getting his inside 50 kick from? Extracting it from a stoppage is a harder kick that a hand ball receive in space or a mark.

The 10 worst kicks inside 50​

1. Matt Kennedy (Carlton)
2. Caleb Serong (Fremantle)
3. Noah Anderson (Gold Coast)
4. Jack Crisp (Collingwood)
5. Sam Walsh (Carlton)
6. Jordan Dawson (Adelaide)
7. Matt Rowell (Gold Coast)
8. Jack Viney (Melbourne)
9. Jye Caldwell (Essendon)
10. Darcy Wilmot (Brisbane)

Last edited:
So does a vacuum cleaner, hence the Dyson selection :moustache:

We just got a 11 month old kelpie cross rescue dog and his name is Sammy. We were thinking of changing his name to Dyson because he eats absolutely anything off the ground. There were some Corellas in the backyard and one left a poo the size of a fried egg, and Sammy ran up to it and slurped it down like an oyster.

Not sure how that relates to the game, but considering I had to watch it happen I figured I'd share it. ;)

Go Bombers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back