Round 20 The Sydney Swans vs The Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

usually, when you lose a game by less than a kick, you are left thinking about the easy shot at goal that was missed. But with this game I am thinking of the goal we gave Joel Corey with that god awful kick across the face of goal by Jared Moore.

Anyway, it was a great game. Damn our shitty draw.

Moore was better tonight too. Playing through the middle where he belongs, seemed a bit quicker and disposed of the ball pretty well for the most part. Got caught a few times but he was trying his tail off and looks so much better in the middle then as a makeshift forward.

****ing Ablett cuts us up every single time. Not just a good game, he dominates us every time we come against Geelong.

Jeez, 8 points (combined Saints & Cats) from being cemented in the top 8. We're a younger side now, it's just not quite going our way.

Also, I hate the umpires.

I'm actually left pondering what would have been if Goodsey had taken the mark (dunno how long left, 23 gone on the score board I think). When he missed that I told my mate I thought we were gone, he said there was time, but there didn't end up being any... Goodsey kicking the winner would have been great...

I think we can hold our heads as high as we would have if we'd gotten into the top 8. Close losses to the top 2 teams are, whilst not as good as wins, confidence boosters for the young guys to know how close they are to the best teams. I remember Federer saying the match he lost to Hewitt at the Davis Cup where Hewitt came from two sets down to beat Federer when Hewitt was Number 1 gave Fed the belief that he could beat the best, and, well, you all know the rest.

Yeh I argggghed when Goodsey missed that mark.
I'm not counting us out yet, we'll be barracking for the Blues to beat Port today to keep us in the hunt, then it'd be a massive game against the Pies at the G.

Very similar to the Saints game really. Gutted by the outcome but very, very happy with the intensity and workrate. Geelong are a fantastic team - their disposal and ability to move the ball by hand in tight traffic is incredible. To get as close as we did was a huge credit to our developing list and came on the back of the 'never say die', 'bleed for the jumper' ethos that they've developed this decade.

If we can draft well this year and add a little more class to our list then we've got to look forward to over the next 2-5 years.

Was confused about the way Reg was being used early. Seemed to be playing on the wing and was even running with Bartel for a while on a wing. Confused me to no end. All the while Leo was being played at fullback on Tommy Hawkins, who is nothing special atm, but with the service the mdifield was giving him he was always gonna take a bunch of marks and kick a couple and Leo didnt have the reach on Hawkins on the lead and we all know has dropped a bit of pace the last few years.

Leo should be playing up forward. Reg went back on Hawkins in the 2nd half and Leo went forward (for a little while at least) and that is how it should be IMO.

Watching the replay, LRT did really well on Mooney. First Mooney goal was a shit call by the ump, and his other 2 were the results of just brilliant ball movement by the Cats midfield and they gave Mooney no chance of missing the mark and LRT no chance of spoiling. Very good game by LRT, some great contested marks and spoils down back.

The defensive matchups were a bit screwy with our best defender Bolton who usually plays on a tall on Stevie J, leaving a big question of how Leo was going to fit in structurally. I wasn't impressed they took Reg out of the defence early, if they're going to start using him as an utility again, his form may suffer. The upcoming game could be interesting given Cloke may be suspended and Collingwood have a bevy of small forward-midfield types Medhurst, Didak, Davis, Dick, Lockyer.

I was more than happy with CBolts on Johnson and that's the matchup i thought would eventuate or at least the one i wanted to see. That is proviciding Reg and LRT would take Hawkins and Mooney. I thought that would have been a very good setup, too bad it didnt happen til the 2nd half. Cats midfield were feeding it to them on a platter so they were always gonna kick a few. LRT did well on Mooney and i thought Craig was really good on Johnson, didnt think he had a big impact on the game at all really.

The matchups for the Pies game are gonna be very interesting. Crouchy needs to come back in. Smith, Crouchy, Jack, Bevan will need to do the jobs.

Probably:

Bevan on Medhurst (i want him to play forwrad though)
Crouchy on Didak
Jack on Davis
Smith on Dick

Hahaha I'm going to laugh whenever dick touches the ball like I did last time

Hahaha I'm going to laugh whenever dick touches the ball like I did last time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

!!!! Did dick go to hard at it? Sore?

Surely dick will be fine with some rest... rubs.. And warm downs.

Yeh I couldn't read Stats post before you posted CAS

No your right Stat their not my jokes to make. You kno what I am good at tho stat?
Jog that memory....

We have already bottomed out. Back on the bounce bigtime!!!! Yeah baby. Oh, Jesse, your so fine
You're so fine you blow my mind
Hey, Jesse

Watch and weep Geeeelong, Hawkins tehehe

(Have only read this far into the thread, but ...) Yeah, you'd have to say on face value, on last night's game, White is a far better prospect than the highly regarded Hawkins. White is more agile and athletic, better hands and has more fight in one buttcheek than that big girl-alike Cat.

Also, I noticd Hawkins seems to be growing muttonchop sideburns or something ... but it doesn't make him look any less girlie.

Sorry, sorry, I know I shouldn't be mean and insulting (to girls).

I don't give a shit about the result. I'm bloody proud to be a Swans supporter. Shortest rebuild in history.

Exactly.

We lost a nailbiter and right now I am more excited about our great club than I've been in three years.

An absolute belter of a game, for starters, and it required Gablett to get 44 touches to barely drag them over the line.

We're still developing, still making mistakes and still putting together a settled side, yet that's as close as we've been to Geelong in three seasons.

And it's the style of football that's helping make it so exciting, and so much more tolerable to lose a close one like that.

Now if the umpires could stop regarding us as the hired help ...

Great call MF, we have pretty much rebuilt, and like Roos said, we're playing our best footy consistently since 2006 I reckon. TBH, given his last few weeks I'd almost say MOL could have gone around once more, but ah well. ;)

I'm actually left pondering what would have been if Goodsey had taken the mark (dunno how long left, 23 gone on the score board I think). When he missed that I told my mate I thought we were gone, he said there was time, but there didn't end up being any... Goodsey kicking the winner would have been great...

I think we can hold our heads as high as we would have if we'd gotten into the top 8. Close losses to the top 2 teams are, whilst not as good as wins, confidence boosters for the young guys to know how close they are to the best teams. I remember Federer saying the match he lost to Hewitt at the Davis Cup where Hewitt came from two sets down to beat Federer when Hewitt was Number 1 gave Fed the belief that he could beat the best, and, well, you all know the rest.

There was a brief moment in the game, third quarter I think: we were 2-3 points up and I thought if we could get more than a goal up ... Luke Ablett (a great game) had a long shot for goal, he hit it right on line but it just fell short and I think was cleared. I really felt that if we'd managed to get a bit of a break, the Cats were under so much pressure we might have been able to go on with it.

Not to be, but geez ... great, great game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 20 The Sydney Swans vs The Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back