Autopsy Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not gonna hang too much s**t on Max but I’m pretty convinced now that he’s a great athlete and just an average footballer.

Mentally pretty fragile, poor in the contest. Has all the physical tools but I’m yet to see any signs he actually wants to be the guy.
We have seen him be that guy in years gone by. Remember when he put the team on his back against West Coast a few years ago? He looked like a true alpha forward.
Now he lets himself get bumped out of every contest and just looks for ways to flop to the ground. He wants a free kick instead of a contested mark.
If he needs a sports psychologist he needs to see one, but he’s so far off it now it isn’t funny.
Yeah, injuries. If he’s not right to play he shouldn’t be putting his hand up.

Butler thinks he’s still at Richmond with his trick tap ons and sh&tful handballs over the head and ignoring first option and getting caught holding the ball
To be fair he’s our best pressure player.
If not for a very strange non htb call on halftime, he’d have had 3 goals and we may have had a lead of 28 which mentally could’ve been a big enough gap.

We have seen him be that guy in years gone by. Remember when he put the team on his back against West Coast a few years ago? He looked like a true alpha forward.
Now he lets himself get bumped out of every contest and just looks for ways to flop to the ground. He wants a free kick instead of a contested mark.
If he needs a sports psychologist he needs to see one, but he’s so far off it now it isn’t funny.
If you can't handle the contact, you need to run your opponent into the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from being absolutely FUUUUMING at that 2nd half…

I don’t think we can go in with a forward line that tall, and King looked underdone. His non-contest in the 3rd quarter where he just bumped into the back of the defender made me think he was cooked. Looked flat footed all second half as well.

Can’t play all of Sharman, Caminiti, King, Marshall at once. Sharman isn’t quite agile and fast enough to be getting a claim as a pressure forward.

And Hunter Clark cannot be carried in our relatively one paced midfield, if we had a few tear away from stoppage players we could probably have him in there, but his defensive efforts and ability to run and apply genuine defensive pressure is pretty low. Steele is pretty slow, Crouch is ok, busts his gut with repeat sprints but still no Usaim Bolt. If Clark still wants to go to Norf I’d take a 2nd rounder. Look at playing a genuine, pacy mid. Look at Carlton with Cripps, they’ve gone and complemented him with Walsh and Cerra.

We have some good players but need to change a few things up with this team in the off season.
for crying out loud, Sharman is well below AFL level and quite frankly never will be, was bloody embarrassing at some of his attempted contests.

King has one of the poorest attitudes for an AFL player.

That play between gresh and King was a shocker and the turning point due to their poor attitudes, Carlton just strong armed us straight off the back of their poor and lazy displays.

Not just West Coast, but Adelaide last year he kicked 6.0 to drag us over the line.

After the North game, i was done with this club for the year. That was a pathetic display. Last week i never bothered watching the game such is my lack of respect for how we are playing. So we kick our second highest score in six years, lmao. I know watching hawks games this year that probably had a lot to do with them having a piss poor defensive day out.

Credit where it's due though, we got the win so f it, i'll tune in today with no expectations at all, see what happens. They suckered me in good the first half to the point i'm thinking we might have found our mojo again.

Then the second half and that's the St Kilda i know and love.

I have such contempt for our older more experienced players. All missing when it matters. Wood and Wilkie are excused.

This one is on the coaches I think:

1. Playing Brad hill in the midfield / in the guts
2. Playing Gresham at half forward
3. No support for Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back