Preview Round 21, 2024: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, Sun 4 August, 1.10pm AEST @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morrison has been selected so far this year as a plug and play substitute who can drop into a lot of roles. I think he’s demanding a spot now in his own right. Sounds like he played a much fuller 4 quarter game than Mackenzie. Be interesting to see if he gets a call up.

Hard to justify any changes after consecutive strong 66 point wins. Expecting no changes for an intense clash.

GWS do play the four tall defenders in Taylor, Himmelberg, Buckley and Idun. There is merit to bringing in Gunston to play deepest on Taylor, and moving Breust to the sub.
There’s more merit to sticking with a smaller mobile forward line, leaving their back line too tall to deal with the likes of Ginnavin, McDonald, Breust, Moore and Watson.

I had gws in my top 4 at the start of the season & thought they could have a real chance of raising the cup. I think they've been disappointing at times this year which could be good for us this week.
This should be a fast paced tough match & 1 the Hawks have to run out to the end
Not an easy win by any means but Hawks by 24

our win against GWS down in Tassie was probably our second worst game in the last 12. Really flat, poor execution, a lot of turn-overs. Yet we still won. Comfortable victory this week if we maintain our game style and bring that uber-pressure to the table.

Morrison has been selected so far this year as a plug and play substitute who can drop into a lot of roles. I think he’s demanding a spot now in his own right. Sounds like he played a much fuller 4 quarter game than Mackenzie. Be interesting to see if he gets a call up.
I agree, but it's the same problem he (and Ward and Maginness) has had all year. Who do you drop? Maybe give Maginness a full game in the 2s? Don't think Ward can be dropped.

Mackenzie, Serong and Mitchell all pushing for selection too.

Strength of all the best sides is the 24 to 28 of their list, and for the first time since probably 2018 looking at our emergencies plus VFL : Morrison, McKenzie, Serong, Mitchell & Hustwaite. Not to mention Gunston if he's required, that I am supremely confident that any one of the above can step in and fulfill a role.

Only change I could see is Bruest to sub & Morrison/McKenzie in & Finn out.

What a time to be alive.

Strength of all the best sides is the 24 to 28 of their list, and for the first time since probably 2018 looking at our emergencies plus VFL : Morrison, McKenzie, Serong, Mitchell & Hustwaite. Not to mention Gunston if he's required, that I am supremely confident that any one of the above can step in and fulfill a role.

Only change I could see is Bruest to sub & Morrison/McKenzie in & Finn out.

What a time to be alive.
Interested to understand what's happening with Gunston. I would have thought that 1/ he can't just step back into the team after not playing for a month; and 2/ he would add a lot of benefit at BHH mentoring Skaife, Ramsden and others.

Anyone know why he's not playing?

Interested to understand what's happening with Gunston. I would have thought that 1/ he can't just step back into the team after not playing for a month; and 2/ he would add a lot of benefit at BHH mentoring Skaife, Ramsden and others.

My guess is that after the Geelong game the coaching panel have come to the conclusion that we can't carry (for lack of a better word) both Gunners and Bruest in the same team.

Given Bruest has hit a goodish patch of form Gunners can't make his way back in essentially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've won 2 in a row and you generally don't change a winning formula.

Why not playing BHH then to keep his hand in for when needed? I wouldn't want to put him straight into the side without having some element of continuity.
Yes you are right that is a little bit unusual given he hasn't been listed as being injured.

I can only assume they are keeping him in cotton wool as a like for like replacement for Bruest if Luke gets injured but as you say it would be a risk to bring him in without playing any footy for a month.

Only change I can see is if CJ can't get up after that shoulder.

Pretty easy swap for either Morrison or Frenchy - whomever Mitch sees a better role for in this matchup.

I think we will see Sicily rested at some stage in the remaining games, but probably not until we play Richmond. Will give Serong a chance to get some more seniors experience before the end of the year.

I think we will see Sicily rested at some stage in the remaining games, but probably not until we play Richmond. Will give Serong a chance to get some more seniors experience before the end of the year.
Sicily is either playing or he is out injured.

I can’t see him being “rested” given:

1. how tight the last 4 weeks will be; and
2. everyone who makes the 8 gets a week off before finals commence.

GWS are a really hard team to read. When was the last time we won up there, was it that snow game?

In terms of team selection, it would be hard to make any changes, although if I remember correct last game Gunners played a really important role on Sam Taylor as a defensive forward which was huge for us.

They have guys like Whitfield who are dominating at the moment, and Hogan is about as potent as any forward going around. I feel this is our most important game of the season and will be a true indication of how far we have come this season.

GWS are a really hard team to read. When was the last time we won up there, was it that snow game?

In terms of team selection, it would be hard to make any changes, although if I remember correct last game Gunners played a really important role on Sam Taylor as a defensive forward which was huge for us.

They have guys like Whitfield who are dominating at the moment, and Hogan is about as potent as any forward going around. I feel this is our most important game of the season and will be a true indication of how far we have come this season.
Frost is a decent match-up for Hogan.
Hardwick on Greene.
Impey on Daniels.
Weddle on Riccardi.
Sic and Scrim should be able to float.

Nash is perfect to nullify the impact of Green in the middle.

Their backline is relatively tall, so as long as Chol and Dear can compete and halve contests, we should be able to damage them when the ball hits the deck.

Will be a cracking game.

love actually come on let it snow GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back