Preview Round 21, 2024: GWS Giants v Hawthorn, Sun 4 August, 1.10pm AEST @ Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In: Gunston
Out: Maginness

Sub: Breust

Need to bring out the big guns for the next two weeks, so reckon Gunston is a trump card we need to play to get the job done against Giants and Carlton. What a luxury it is to have someone of his class and experience to call on.

Morrison very unlucky not to get selected but reckon Ward has done enough to warrant he stays
Agree. Chad to follow.

Gunston needs a game ot two before finals, but our strength at the moment is our small forwards and pressure, so don’t reckon he and Dear can play together. Dear has been cramping and looks like he needs a rest. So, this week or next I would rest CD and play JG.
Agree the smalls have been working together beautifully, but other than the Geelong game, Chol, Dear and Gunston seems to have worked nicely in our resurgence. But given Sicily's proven ability (and necessity with his shoulder injury) to help out, means we may no longer need to play all three KPFs.

Might not be a bad idea to give 'The Difference' a rest sometime if we are to play finals. But wouldn't risk it in the next two games personally. He's just too important, as we saw last week and against Freo

There was one late on with Breust at the weekend in the 4th quarter when he scooped up a loose ball in our F50 and drove really low, he was playing the odds but the Adelaide defender executed a perfect tackle, getting underneath him and it was holding the ball. Breust clearly wasn't taking the option that have him the best chance of dishing it off.

It shows the tackles can be made but on the balance of probabilities I doubt most players could make that tackle cleanly more than not. They're going to have to get better though.
I remember seeing that and thinking "That's a bloody good tackle". I wish they would highlight that tackle and say that it's completely possible to execute a good clean tackle on a player going low, and if you don't you get penalised.

I would imagine that sticking good tackles on small forwards would end up in lots of holding the ball frees too, because the forward is looking for the high contact instead of trying to get the ball away.

Gunston needs a game ot two before finals, but our strength at the moment is our small forwards and pressure, so don’t reckon he and Dear can play together. Dear has been cramping and looks like he needs a rest. So, this week or next I would rest CD and play JG.
No, No, Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting change with Finn out. I can understand they want to give him a full game not in the AFL but at the same time he hasn't really done it in Wrong. I really want him to tag Whitfield but hopefully Sam Mitchell hasn't forgotten it out here and has another plan up his sleeve.

I expect either McKenzie or Morrison to come in anless he wants to play Jack Gunston as a lockdown forward but that is risky as he has looked off the mark so far and neither him or Breust are very mobile

I hope not. Our forward line was slow and immobile with Gunston and Breust in. Mind you, Lewis also played that game

We won 4 games in a row with Gunston and Breust in the team prior to the cats game, they provided 11 goals in those games even with Breust the sub in all 4.

Specifically against GWS, Gunston kicked 3 and completely nullified arguably the best fullback in the league, whilst Breust kicked 2 including the winner from the boundary.

A one off bad game doesn’t tell the story.

Gunston in, Breust the sub.

If not, arguments can be made for the other ins.

If we want to lose we are 10-1 when Dear plays.

I suspect Jai Sarong may have earned his way into the side with some consistent, excellent play at BHH. Bruest to sub, Weddle to spend more time up the ground.

He doesn’t really suit match ups. Other than Hogan they don’t really have any marking targets, Cadman and Gruzewski can be managed comfortably.

They are similar to us in attack, a lot of small dangerous players but only a couple of talls. No point adding another tall defender, more likely to play against Carlton.

We won 4 games in a row with Gunston and Breust in the team prior to the cats game, they provided 11 goals in those games even with Breust the sub in all 4.

Specifically against GWS, Gunston kicked 3 and completely nullified arguably the best fullback in the league, whilst Breust kicked 2 including the winner from the boundary.

A one off bad game doesn’t tell the story.

Gunston in, Breust the sub.

If not, arguments can be made for the other ins.
I'm not against them both being in the team but 1 of them has to be the sub. As the speed goes out of the game in the 3rd and 4th quarters you can more get away with having both on the field especially with one of them fresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back