Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure Switta is a mid that we turned forward. Any small with natural goal awareness isn't passing that off. If it was down the other end there is no way Gresham or Stringer don't have a shot.
He passed it because he shanked his last selfish shot on goal.

Not enough bang for buck for all our forward entries. “Barring today”
How many goals do we get from a forward 50 stoppage.
The over shoulder tap is about all we can hope for.

Need some Xfactor around the spill of the ball.

Or have played Tabs

I mean, respectfully, I disagree. 2022 was quite exciting. This year I just more or less feel let down and had a lot of historical prejudices reaffirmed. Feel kinda empty. There's something there but those old Freo feelings of failure and inadequacy are ringing louder than ever.

Every f***ing time I go to a Freo game at the G. That truly hurt.
You can disagree all good, I've loved watching us play most weeks this year. We've played some incredible footy, just not enough of it

Yeah this seasons cooked. Doesn’t matter whether you’re an optimist or a pessimist - if you’re speaking confidently about how things are gonna pan out, I don’t believe you.
It's honestly nuts.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if the Lions won their last 3, finished top and clear premiership favourite then got bundled in straight sets.

It's that kind of year.

I disagree. I always thought Geelong was our easiest game left. They have nothing about them that scares me anymore.
I thought this was our easiest game yet. Essendon have no one that scare me. Yet they managed to completely nullify our bigges strength.

I mean, respectfully, I disagree. 2022 was quite exciting. This year I just more or less feel let down and had a lot of historical prejudices reaffirmed. Feel kinda empty. There's something there but those old Freo feelings of failure and inadequacy are ringing louder than ever.

Look on the bright side. With the fixture the way it is, it’s a pain you only have to experience, what, once every three years?

I thought this was our easiest game yet. Essendon have no one that scare me. Yet they managed to completely nullify our bigges strength.
They've had many games like this in 2024. They dominate in the middle and field position but can't get it on the scoreboard.

We were just kind enough to let them score more this time.

You can disagree all good, I've loved watching us play most weeks this year. We've played some incredible footy, just not enough of it
When we get those handballs off half back and Optus explodes it's such exciting football to watch. Start of 2022 was really fun but by the end of it we were kinda washed.

Thought we were finding form at the right time now but this game has just gone and thrown everything out of the window.

Maybe me misremembering but some of the footy in the back end of 2022 was painful.

We've gone the opposite direction this year and played some very attractive footy in the second half of the season but close losses and a larger than usual block of teams vying for the 8 have (potentially) really stuffed us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I acknowledge mental frailty, but ****ing hell, we are such a young team! And before anyone comes at me for accepting mediocrity, did we all really think at the start of the year we were finishing top 4? This season is so tight, we don’t even know what’s happening now from week to week.

I really hate it when we try to defend a lead so early in the 4th rather than keep attacking until it’s we out of reach. They just go into their shells then crap the bed when we get a run on. Who decides when we go into lock down mode? Is it a message from the box or is it from leaders on the field? They just keep getting it wrong.

Also, I bet we played Darcy injured, which is why Reidy was emergency. Would it have been better to play Reidy over Darcy given his utter inability to run and be influential all day? Who decides that?

I’m so pissed.

But I also wish we wouldn’t burden the current group with the years upon years of trauma we all have endured collectively as a fan base and attribute their failure to the club just having a piss weak culture and hopeless. Particularly because this group, young and motivated and playing for each other, have given us quite a bit of joy this year despite the disappointment of today.

Also I do hope Brayshaw, Serong and Young would be getting to the stage where they take the bull by the horns in this regard - but in terms of on-field experience and leadership, no Pearce, Fyfe and Walters has to be having an effect.

We will jump up a level when one of those younger guys decides to take
ownership, and single handedly impose themself in a final quarter like that and refuse to let the team lose.

It sucks to lose in that fashion, but I’m proud of the boys. They were coming off a taxing derby, and the bombers were breathing fire after being smashed in the media all week. If we caught essington on any other week we would have won. It’s a shame we played teams two weeks in a row playing their grand final.

I acknowledge mental frailty, but ****ing hell, we are such a young team! And before anyone comes at me for accepting mediocrity, did we all really think at the start of the year we were finishing top 4? This season is so tight, we don’t even know what’s happening now from week to week.

I really hate it when we try to defend a lead so early in the 4th rather than keep attacking until it’s we out of reach. They just go into their shells then crap the bed when we get a run on. Who decides when we go into lock down mode? Is it a message from the box or is it from leaders on the field? They just keep getting it wrong.

Also, I bet we played Darcy injured, which is why Reidy was emergency. Would it have been better to play Reidy over Darcy given his utter inability to run and be influential all day? Who decides that?

I’m so pissed.

But I also wish we wouldn’t burden the current group with the years upon years of trauma we all have endured collectively as a fan base and attribute their failure to the club just having a piss weak culture and hopeless. Particularly because this group, young and motivated and playing for each other, have given us quite a bit of joy this year despite the disappointment of today.
Agree. Think these games where we are up by a bit, we start to play too defensive and lose our momentum. Then when the other team takes it we can't wrestle it back until the very end. Often by then, it's too late

Sh(-(#t
Apparently Darcy trained lightly this week and he looked like it. Certainly in hindsight he shouldn’t have played. Eerily similar to Hawks game, just a tad more reactive than proactive and then For long periods of the game we were smashed out of the middle which then exposed our nervous back line. Chappy has been poor for a few weeks now, no idea why. What Clarke has going through his head sometimes really is a worry. No tackles from Freddy again .
We’re pretty good on the road but the next step is to win these close ones. If we played them here we would have won , which , if true, shows it’s above the shoulders.
We have responded well this season after a loss so I think we will beat the Cats.

The mids were comprehensively beaten early, but clawed it back. Then they went to sleep in the last.
Caldwell and Merret absolutely pantsed us most of the day.

Its a worry how poor we look when Darcy is not dominating. Thing is losing a clearance shouldn't mean they just waltz it out , it should still be a hard fought battle and contested , but we didn't see much of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back