Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm honestly trying to reconcile how we could miss finals with how we've looked for so much if the year. Talent all over the ground, I don't think I'm bias saying that, midfield that is close to breaking records on clearance, incredible key forwards. Is it all the small moments we've fluffed? Am I that bias on our talent?

I can honestly say I've had more fun watching us this year than even 2022 with some of passages being breath taking. It feels very weird
We probably only need to win 1 game to make finals from here. If we can't make it from here we don't deserve it.

We have no elite crumbing small/medium forwards. We are stocked with tall targets - Treacy, Amiss, Jackson, Sturt + Voss and Taberner in the WAFL, but the second the ball hits the ground inside our 50 we’re ****ed

Switkowski, Frederick and Emmett (the latter 2 were especially absent today) combining for just 35 goals from 47 games this season. Doesn’t seem so bad until you compare to other teams small forwards input: Rachele and Rankine alone have kicked 53 goals from 33 games. Stengle and Close alone have kicked 63 goals from 40 games. Hill, Schultz (we miss him badly) and Elliot have kicked 67 goals from 49 games.

Our midfield was terrible today, and our defence wasn’t much better, but both these lines have been consistently great for us this year. Our small forwards however have consistently been the weakest part of our game and it’s the one clear gap we have to fill come off-season. We have 3 guys who are great pressure forwards but can’t hit the scoreboard on a consistent enough basis. Switta at least has proven value in the guts, Freddy and Emmett on the other hands have been consistent underperformers this year and were 2 of the worst on ground again today

I'm honestly trying to reconcile how we could miss finals with how we've looked for so much if the year. Talent all over the ground, I don't think I'm bias saying that, midfield that is close to breaking records on clearance, incredible key forwards. Is it all the small moments we've fluffed? Am I that bias on our talent?

I can honestly say I've had more fun watching us this year than even 2022 with some of passages being breath taking. It feels very weird
I mean, respectfully, I disagree. 2022 was quite exciting. This year I just more or less feel let down and had a lot of historical prejudices reaffirmed. Feel kinda empty. There's something there but those old Freo feelings of failure and inadequacy are ringing louder than ever.

Every f***ing time I go to a Freo game at the G. That truly hurt.

It's a ****ing shit year to start to get our mojo and expectations back. Basically any other year we would've been locked into finals already. Now we win both of our home games and it's not even guaranteed.

Not good enough for long enough and another of the 100's of the times that the club can't handle expectations. If there's a game that if we win will set up our season, we lose, every time since day 1 of the club.
This is something that I hope can change next year with some growth in the team. This season is still a little learning one. We haven't played our best consistently. Today was definitely disappointing but unfortunately somewhat expected.

The small moments which have resulted in dropping points more often than not + it's also partly symptomatic of an incredibly cut-throat season. 50 pts this time last year and in 2022 would have finals sewn up.

Not saying we're out of it by any stretch but today really stings given our run home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, I like our chances at home against anyone other than Brisbane and the Dogs.

I don't like our chances against anyone away.
Nah, I think the Cats have the mature heads to knock us off this week. Hopefully I'm wrong, we do know how to play them but this mental fragility is rather hard to ignore now

Darcy has got me thinking of the Freo player who’ve got me to ‘hate them’ levels

Stuart Anderson
Chris Bond
Zak Clarke
Chris Groom
Jack Hannath
Shane Kersten
Brandon Matera
Daniel Parker
Tom Sheridan
Rory Lobb
Sean Darcy

That’s about it
You'd be loving this loss, because you love to bitch and moan about everything Freo.

Nah, I think the Cats have the mature heads to knock us off this week. Hopefully I'm wrong, we do know how to play them but this mental fragility is rather hard to ignore now
If there is one thing this season has taught me, its that if you think you know what's going to happen, you're wrong.

I, again respectfully, disagree. I think Port at best is our chance to scrape into an elimination final thrashing at the hands of Carlton, GWS or the Cats
That's fair enough.

I just think our midfield should slaughter Geelong's and that seems to be our biggest factor as to whether we win or not.

We had so many good looks to put it away in the last. Up by 25 and just bad entries and then swittas brain dead decision to pass.

I don’t understand Aish as sub. Gave us no point of diff coming on. Probably better with Raz on.

Chappys one of my favs but man he was poor. Fumbles, dropping marks, bad disposal.. he’s not alone, but my word he was bad today.

Why isn’t Jackson taking that last bounce? He’s our best chance for a jump tap clearance. Having no one defensive side and letting Merritt get on the run is just woeful setup and planning.

Really pissed we dropped this one
I don’t get Switta. Small forward that has no goal awareness? He’s 30m out. Have a snap ffs. Stringer would’ve

I disagree. I always thought Geelong was our easiest game left. They have nothing about them that scares me anymore.

The Erasmus sub was the dumbest sub ive seen all season. Feel like he could have had 40 possessions and JL was still going to sub him off. If he played 80% of game time he was well on his way to 25 possessions and providing a bit of run which was lacking in the last

JL needs to get over his O'Meara and Aish obsession and look to move them out of the team in 2025. You got 3 1st rounders to manufacture this with (probably just need to use 2 of them). Do that and its onwards and upwards really.

Really dissappointing that the fault is basically entirely on our leadership group. Serong, Brayshaw, Switta, JOM, Young all in the middle and all completely crumbled. Incredibly poor leadership.
The last clearance that won the game Merrett sprinted away from Young. Maybe Switta should have been on him? I have always wanted to throw Walker on a small dominating mid to see what would happen. He could be a nightmare match up with his speed, height and size.

I don’t get Switta. Small forward that has no goal awareness? He’s 30m out. Have a snap ffs. Stringer would’ve

I'm pretty sure Switta is a mid that we turned forward. Any small with natural goal awareness isn't passing that off. If it was down the other end there is no way Gresham or Stringer don't have a shot.

That's fair enough.

I just think our midfield should slaughter Geelong's and that seems to be our biggest factor as to whether we win or not.
Yeah this my thoughts on next week - faith has slipped to say the least after that midfield showing but should expect exactly what you said

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back