Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah there's absolutely zero excuses for this game. **** you could make up excuses for every other loss too if you wanted to and i'm sure they'd all have a sprinkle of merit in them. Carlton - umpires, Port - two weeks away from home, WCE - the two closes losses before hand, Syd - McCarthy, Dogs - Bye and Covid, Hawks - bad kicking, tassie, no Pearce/Darcy.
But trying to make excuses for blowing a 5 goal lead in the fourth quarter to an out of form team is going too far. The way we lost was completely inexcusable.
Hate the comparisons to the midfield of 2013-2015, but absolutely would back Suban, Barlow, Fyfe, Mundy locking it down and forcing every stoppage to be a wrestle.
Stuff talent if Young, Brayshaw, Serong don’t want to man up, get in hard and create chaos

Just a stat hat I always find important. If you lose the possession count and lose the tackle,more often than not you lose the game. Today we lost both. The concerning stat today is only 8 tackles in our F50. Anyone else notice how often they went the full length of the field from our F50?

The midfield defensive lapse at the last bounce. Perhaps youngs lack of experience in there.. but yeah. Not good time to be letting them waltz it out of there

Just a stat hat I always find important. If you lose the possession count and lose the tackle,more often than not you lose the game. Today we lost both. The concerning stat today is only 8 tackles in our F50. Anyone else notice how often they went the full length of the field from our F50?
Yeah we would love a Ballantyne type so much. A forward with elite pressure, speed and a legit goal kicker.

I did. Freddy and Emmett put on no pressure. They weren't in position to crumb either, so every time the ball hit the ground Essendon were able to clear it effortlessly.

1 point is flattering, we honestly should've loss by more. Accuracy flattered us

I think if you're looking at positives we got trounced at CBA in Q1, but kept the game in check, wrestled control and worked our way through it to the point of almost putting them away.

I thought that element was a continued step forward from where we've been. Plenty of learning to take from Q4 but we've gotta keep going through it to get there I guess.

Emmett shouldn't play again this year, got his second chance and yeah nah, he's miles off.

Luke Jackson. What's going on with him? Does he need a week off? This looks statistically to be his worst game of the season.

Last year our mids took naps during second quarters then woke up in 3rd quarters. This year they take naps last qrter then by the time they awake the lights already turned off lol

Last year our mids took naps during second quarters then woke up in 3rd quarters. This year they take naps last qrter then by the time they awake the lights already turned off lol
Took naps in the first and last.
Talk about they’ll come out firing. Throw everything at us etc.
What did they do? Flat footed, lose centre clearance after centre clearance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took naps in the first and last.
Talk about they’ll come out firing. Throw everything at us etc.
What did they do? Flat footed, lose centre clearance after centre clearance
True, but I've noticed usually in first quarters this year they took micro naps at first bounce then Fyfe comes on.

Fyfe should not be starting on bench

I don't think we ever had any crumbers within 20 meters of our goal. If it didn't land in the hands of our Key's then it felt straight into the laps of the Essendon defenders.

I was ready to go on this spiel with how impressed I was that we stood up against another team (a lot better than WC as well) playing their grand final for the year.

Aaaggghhh they've really bottled a great chance this year with to many shit house last quarters.

Last edited:
I was ready to go on this spiel with how impressed I was that we stood up against another team (a lot better than WC as well) playing their grand finalnfor the year.

Aaaggghhh they've really bottled a great chance this year with to many shit house last quarters.

star wars hate GIF

Kick ins - We need a plan B.

We currently have 2 variations on the same plan A
1) Ryan looks around, makes it seem like he's assessing his options, then bangs it to the back edge corner of the center square where we almost never mark it or win it at ground level.
2) Ryan chips it 17m to a player (keeping in mind you could literally just run to that exact same spot) where said player assesses their options, then bangs it 7m further than our first variation and possibly closer to the boundary where we almost never take a mark or win it at ground level, but sometimes get it out of bounds 80m out from goal.

We do sometimes have a pulled kick version to Cox about 55m out right on the boundary but didn't attempt that today as they were manning up.

Kick ins should be better. It's ball in your hands and something you can work on.

We have NOTHING.

Hate the comparisons to the midfield of 2013-2015, but absolutely would back Suban, Barlow, Fyfe, Mundy locking it down and forcing every stoppage to be a wrestle.
Stuff talent if Young, Brayshaw, Serong don’t want to man up, get in hard and create chaos

That midfield was a lot bigger though. 3 players basically 190.

Our games this year that we should have won but didn't were because we got beaten by a bigger and faster midfield.

So yeah agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back