Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

It sucks to lose in that fashion, but I’m proud of the boys. They were coming off a taxing derby, and the bombers were breathing fire after being smashed in the media all week. If we caught essington on any other week we would have won. It’s a shame we played teams two weeks playing their grand final.

We’d best get used to it, it’s basically a yellow brick road of grand finals from here on in

It sucks to lose in that fashion, but I’m proud of the boys. They were coming off a taxing derby, and the bombers were breathing fire after being smashed in the media all week. If we caught essington on any other week we would have won. It’s a shame we played teams two weeks playing their grand final.
If we didn't blow a 25 point lead in the fourth quarter we would've won. This isn't like the Hawthorn game where we were coming against an in form team at their home ground without a few of our best players. That was a loss I could excuse.

I don't think they get any leeway for losing after having such a big lead late.

They've had many games like this in 2024. They dominate in the middle and field position but can't get it on the scoreboard.

We were just kind enough to let them score more this time.

IIRC champion data has us as one of the easier teams to move the ball against atm. It's inevitably going to hurt us, especially without Pearce.

It sucks to lose in that fashion, but I’m proud of the boys. They were coming off a taxing derby, and the bombers were breathing fire after being smashed in the media all week. If we caught essington on any other week we would have won. It’s a shame we played teams two weeks in a row playing their grand final.
Lol proud?

They just lost to ****ing Essendon.

Inexcusable

It sucks to lose in that fashion, but I’m proud of the boys. They were coming off a taxing derby, and the bombers were breathing fire after being smashed in the media all week. If we caught essington on any other week we would have won. It’s a shame we played teams two weeks in a row playing their grand final.
8 day break.
Taxing derby was done by 3/4 time.

You seemed content at half time. I blame you.
Seconded.
Normally I would blame myself as well, but wait until you hear this.

I’ve gone 0/3 for watching games at the MCG so I have to accept some blame here
It’s funny you should mention that.

So here’s the deal…

It was about 5 minutes or so into the final quarter. Van_Dyke & I are standing behind the away bay finishing the last of our overpriced mid strength beverages, and ya boi Dutchy turns to me and says something along the lines of “We’ve done well to keep them to eight goals seeing as though they kicked five in the first quarter”.

IMG_0529.jpeg

IMG_0530.jpeg

IIRC champion data has us as one of the easier teams to move the ball against atm. It's inevitably going to hurt us, especially without Pearce.

It showed. Q4 was embarrassing. Ultimately the scoreboard is very flattering, if they had kicked straighter it wouldn't have been close.

That one hurt. We are still well and truly in the hunt for a better season than I expected.

We got spanked in clearances in the first quarter but held sway during the next two quarters. Went ok in the final quarter until we tried to take time off the clock.

Cox must be the slowest player in the AFL, just never any urgency. Heath Chapman is a very ordinary play on his current form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 day break.
Taxing derby was done by 3/4 time.
Yeah there's absolutely zero excuses for this game. **** you could make up excuses for every other loss too if you wanted to and i'm sure they'd all have a sprinkle of merit in them. Carlton - umpires, Port - two weeks away from home, WCE - the two closes losses before hand, Syd - McCarthy, Dogs - Bye and Covid, Hawks - bad kicking, tassie, no Pearce/Darcy.
But trying to make excuses for blowing a 5 goal lead in the fourth quarter to an out of form team is going too far. The way we lost was completely inexcusable.

Erasmus was ok.. made some critical errors on running too far.. but aish was very poor in the centre square.. slow.. did nothing but let them run out the front.. we missed fyfe in the clutch clearances

There’s only so many times you can put Aish or JOM in the centre square and lose dramatically before the blame goes on the coaches. Just in the last fortnight Aish is a massive liability, yet they go to that well again.

did we all really think at the start of the year we were finishing top 4?
No.

But when it’s right there for the taking and they constantly shit the bed?

* that’s frustrating.

That one hurt. We are still well and truly in the hunt for a better season than I expected.

We got spanked in clearances in the first quarter but held sway during the next two quarters. Went ok in the final quarter until we tried to take time off the clock.

Cox must be the slowest player in the AFL, just never any urgency. Heath Chapman is a very ordinary play on his current form.
Cox could not pick up a groundball to save his life. Chapman could not half a contest to save his life.

Clark was horrible towards the end. Stringer absolutely killed Ryan. I actually thought Walker was really good today though. A lot of timely spoils and good run.

Normally I would blame myself as well, but wait until you hear this.

It’s funny you should mention that.

So here’s the deal…

It was about 5 minutes or so into the final quarter. Van_Dyke & I are standing behind the away bay finishing the last of our overpriced mid strength beverages, and ya boi Dutchy turns to me and says something along the lines of “We’ve done well to keep them to eight goals seeing as though they kicked five in the first quarter”.

View attachment 2069031

View attachment 2069034
no comment

No.

But when it’s right there for the taking and they constantly shit the bed?

* that’s frustrating.
Exactly. Who cares about pre season expectations. We've shown that we CAN be a top four side, but we've had four away games now where we've been in the position to win away from home and completely bottled them. On top of that it's the most even season ever and one more loss sees us drop out of the 8.

Well we play teams 3rd, 4th and 5th in next 3 weeks.
Win all of them we’re top 4.
Win 2 of them we’re likely top 4 but definitely top 6 meaning we get a home final.
Win 1 we play finals and hopefully get a home elimination final.
Lose all 3 and we possibly fall into 8 but possibly finish outside finals.

This loss meant so much. Would’ve effectively meant we play finals and ended a team’s season.

Disappointing but it’s still in our hands.

Channel your inner Ross guys. Never as good or bad etc.

Things to take solace from.

Amiss kicking straight again, all the tall forwards kicked multiple goals.

We played terribly for half a game and ok for another and ACCURATE kicking with SWIFT, SKILLFUL disposal kept us in it, and should have won us the game.

Could still win it all, everyone is spudding it up at times. Probably won't, but it's more likely than it's been for at least 9 years.

Take a leaf out of poshman's book; go play with your kids, kiss the wife (or significant other) and get ready for another 8 pointer next week!

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t know why I had expectations with this club. 30 years of membership should have told me different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back