Autopsy Round 21 - Hawthorn v Port Adelaide - pick it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Round 21 - Hawthorn v Port Adelade - pick it apart here

Bruce just sells other players into trouble and his disposal is TERRIBLE!

Out Bruce,
In Savage

Osbourne, Ellis, Ladson, Lisle in line.. have fun with that selectors..

Really feel we need another big defender. Lisle for Murphy would be my swap.

Bruce good? I hope your joking Pino. Sold his team mates into trouble every time he got it. Deplorable disposal.

It will cost us agaisnt Geelong, Collingwood and Carlton.

Bruce either held onto the ball too long, or just isn't quite up to the speed of the game, but I thought his game was pretty average.

Most of our other guys seemed to be running all over the ground, without too much fuss.

Cyril and Franklin put on a clinic, and Smith, Sheils, Lewis and Mitch just kept on finding it.

Gibbo fantastic.

I didn't expct an outcome like that, but I'll take it. :)

Never seen anything quite like it.

I found it instructive that after half time, when the foot could have come off the pedal for 9 goal to 6 second half we just kept at them.

Bruce good? I hope your joking Pino. Sold his team mates into trouble every time he got it. Deplorable disposal.

It will cost us agaisnt Geelong, Collingwood and Carlton.

I guess after his first number of outings, I was extremely upset. I can't NOT acknowledge that he did some decent things today. I don't believe he is in our best 22 atm but today he showed enough to, at the very least, hold down a possie.

No one had a bad game today so its no point listing all the goods and bads. My opinion on a few X factor/borderline players that were talked about this week leading into the game:

Bruce - Thought he'd be the sub? Butchered the ball early on and you could see he was handballing much more than he was pre-injury. Whether its a self-conscious or coaching strategy, we'll see in the coming weeks if he's playing. Will play next week. Clarko rarely drops a player after 1 game unless they got the game from being an emg.

Schoenmakers - Looked rusty early and thats to be expected after being young and out of the AFL for a fair few weeks. Will fit in comfortably over the next few wks.

Puopolo - E.Betts - 0 goals in round 22. Book mark it. This guy is your classic footballer who would fit in now, 15 years time or 15+ years ago. You can never have too many players who'll work their ass off for the good of their team.

WX - Has improved this season and I have been critical of him. Hard to judge this performance due to the lack of competition. Interesting to see how he goes vs. Carlton.

Not happy we didn't make the 200. :p

We lost by 7 goals against collingwood & won by 26 goals today. The difference: Cameron Bruce. I can only come to the mathematical conclusion that we are a 19-goal better side with Bruce out there. He missed 4 months of footy & on his return we immediately score one of our highest scores of all time...

Despite this, if the purples were to approach us & offer McPharlin & a 1st rounder as a trade, I would probably let him go.

That would be 33 goals better, bruce is a jet

Nice relaxing day at the footy.
Good 4 1/4 demolition and I can't really fault anyone.

Looking forward to next week.

We lost by 7 goals against collingwood & won by 26 goals today. The difference: Cameron Bruce. I can only come to the mathematical conclusion that we are a 19-goal better side with Bruce out there. He missed 4 months of footy & on his return we immediately score one of our highest scores of all time...

Despite this, if the purples were to approach us & offer McPharlin & a 1st rounder as a trade, I would probably let him go.
Not quite. Without looking at the record, i think we have the highest score of all time? Did you get confused with that being our greatest winning margin of all time?

Whitecross has looked a different player the last two weeks. He's got his confidence up, we are now seeing how good his goal sense is and how good his disposal can be. I don't want to see any suggestions of him getting dropped.

But then, we've got Osborne, Ellis, Savage, Cheney who are all worthy

Fantastic to see us twist the knife into the rabble that is the current day port side.

Make no mistake they used to make us look every bit as pathetic only 5-6 years ago. One humiliating night game in the wet springs to mind. Still shudder when I think of Brogan (I think?) turning 2 of our players inside out on the goal line. Today Puopolo nearly repaid the favor!

We've come a long way since those dark days.

Revenge is sweet. Bring on the finals.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but 27,000 is an excellent crowd for a Hawks v Port game. Well done!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, that was our sixth highest score, but greatest winning margin..

Good games from all the newbies, great game from Cyril, hope his hammies can survive all that goal kicking.

Port were truly awful, i feel for their supporters, mainly because they are underperforming to a level only a Melbourne supporter would understand.

I have seen some pretty appalling teams over the years, North in the early 70s were an absolute pack of rabble, Fitroy toward the end of their time in the league totally dropped the bundle, but the difference in on field class and ability between those two teams and Port is huge.
For the players on the Port list to capitulate like that shows there are some very deep problems at that club. Maybe what they need is a coach like Ken Judge that can teach their younger players to play the tight, bore everybody senseless, negative, one on one style he used with reasonably good effect at Hawthorn. Sure they may never win by more than a few goals, but it may stop these huge blowouts from occurring.

BTW - Did everybody notice the level of attention Rodent was given every time he touched the ball? he was the dynamo in the match earlier in the season, we kept him on a pretty tight leash today.

On Cam Bruce - Sure he was using a few more handpasses today, but his kicking style seems to be similar to his handball, hospital floaters!

What did everybody think of Batemans game today?

Announced ourselves today to the comp.

Puopolo, wow hard as nails

Multiple scoring options, firing mid field, stingy defense = premiership chance

That would be 33 goals better, bruce is a jet

Sure, if you use conventional maths... But Bruce can warp the time/space continuum & induce drunkenness on my behalf, despite being half a continent away!

Enjoyed the game. It was great seeing Buddy kick a bag (at last) and I was hoping we'd crack the 200 point mark.

I found Bruce uninspiring, loved Maxxy's goal (seriously, how much love is there for the big guy?!) and enjoyed Cyril's constant brilliance.

It was a good day.

All Cyril work aside, I gave Poo the play of the day for that effort in the forward pocket; trailing the bigger defender to the ball, somehow snaffling it and still managing the Houdini escape between two of them - and also setting up a goal. Plenty to like about the little fella, makes an impact wherever he plays, he and Smith have added another dimension to the team.

Kudos to 2 of the whipping boys today. Murph who put himself in the right spots time and time again.... used it well and continually hit the spreading players with his quick switches.

And to Whitey. The intensity this kid has for the ball is sensational. Twice pushed Chaplin off it when body on body to move into space. Got the bal in much quicker and finished off well (except for the set shot).

And while I am at it.... David Hale... from a set shot... made me almost think.... life is still ok without the big Rough. If it were GF day.... and the ball was in the hands of someone from a set shot on goal.... I'd take the big Halestorm anyday!!

Finally....doesnt Bruest and Smith just snaffle every opportunity!!

All is well.

Breust and Cyril, I believe, are our first choice small forward combination come the pointy end of the season. If Cyril had played deep all game he would have kicked 12. Bruest is an old-fashioned, smart small forward. Very dangerous duo on the ground together.

Whitecross is a very important player, in my opinion. You mentioned the work he does, Roswell, but I think the other role he plays is he appears to be the designated guy to kick long into the forward line, sort of like a high half-forward, but with that kick, he's getting it very deep.

Smith is going to be one hell of a player. He's so intuitive the way he plays, and don't forget, he's hardly played at any level before. Once he adds a little bit of strength and power to his game, he'll be a real weapon. The run that Pup and he can contribute is fantastic, especially when Smith is on a wing and Pup in the back pocket. It gives us another option to move the ball.

Schoey looks so much better across the half back line. If I was a coach of an opposition side I'd be wanting to drag him back, but as a match-up for someone like Cloke, he's a good one.

Re Murph, he does some good things and is very disciplined but I thought he got caught out a couple of times today in how he positioned himself (if that makes sense). But that's me more being churlish than anything!

Lastly, Gibbo is a freak. What a season! His disposal, spoiling ability, creativity and confidence makes him our most important player in my opinion.

All Cyril work aside, I gave Poo the play of the day for that effort in the forward pocket; trailing the bigger defender to the ball, somehow snaffling it and still managing the Houdini escape between two of them - and also setting up a goal. Plenty to like about the little fella, makes an impact wherever he plays, he and Smith have added another dimension to the team.

I was sitting just above that, brilliant play, made a goal out of nothing, big fan of Puopolo.

Thanks Hawks, that was one of the best days at the MCG I have had, I pay my membership but I can only make the time to go to one game a year atm and today was a great one.

Lastly, Gibbo is a freak. What a season! His disposal, spoiling ability, creativity and confidence makes him our most important player in my opinion.

Ah, you stole my thunder! A number of individual highlights today but I thought I'd talk up Gibbo once more. How safe is the ball in his hands? Or if he's anywhere in the vicinity? He's oozing confidence at the moment and just expects to win the ball. Absolute champion. One of my favs... :)

Two other points I'll bring up before Grizz gets another two cents in. Firstly, Cyril's tackle on Cornes and goal. He keeps doing it, Junior. Just as you settle in your seat thinking the lad's doing pretty okay, he comes out with some impossible, logic-defying move that just makes you scream out loud. What's a more freaky word than freak? I no longer know how to describe Cyril. Genius? Delicious? Perhaps a delicious genius...?

Secondly, gotta mention the Hale storm. Geez, how's he been the past few weeks? Most noticeably, those big mitts of his that just gobble the ball up in contested packs. I'm starting to think we'll have to keep him in the team when Roughie comes back. Not sure how we'll structure it, I'll leave it to opposition coaches with their sleepless nights trying to figure it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21 - Hawthorn v Port Adelaide - pick it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back