Preview Round 21 Swans vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've explained to you why he is perceived to be out of form, it's clearly going way over your head. And from what i have heard from the average footy fan is that they don't tend to understand the nuisances of the game, and rather look at it superficially (which i don't mean that in a disrespectful way, just that there are some who see the happenings of a game more analytically and on a deeper level - mostly due to playing footy at senior level at some point). So saying 'everyone here' as evidence to validate your point, actually further invalidates it from my perspective lol.

I don't care about his stats, i see a bloke who works his backside off trying to separate from his opponent and create space for his teammates to work into (which his teammates have not been doing effectively). I see a bloke who places a hell of a lot of perceived pressure on his opponents, effecting their ability to exit defence comfortably. I also see a bloke who's efforts have broken a game on the scoreboard, via link up/overlap play either directly or indirectly, time and time again. So no, Wicks is not 'out of form', his teammates are. If he was getting opportunities and wasting them, then yes i would say he is out of form. But that is simply not the case. No one questioned his 'form' during our winning streak, that ain't a coincidence.
No mate your just absolutely missing the point and its clear in the bolded statement. I literally proved this statement to be incorrect as the stats show Wick's best seasons have come when Sydney as a team haven't played well. So why is Wicks on form when the team is out of form but he is out of form when the team is in form.

I do like how the alternatives for Wicks are a bunch of mids making our side even slower. Already have JMac out, Rampe whilst not electric is quicker than Francis…and Paps is our quickest forward.

Hanily would be the only option but it’s a risk giving a debut this late

No mate your just absolutely missing the point and its clear in the bolded statement. I literally proved this statement to be incorrect as the stats show Wick's best seasons have come when Sydney as a team haven't played well. So why is Wicks on form when the team is out of form but he is out of form when the team is in form.

Everyone and anyone can make stats to suit arguments. Not just you everyone does it. Wicks does more than the possessions he gets, could he do more sure any chance of the mods not kicking it to the Eiffel Tower in height though?

I've explained to you why he is perceived to be out of form, it's clearly going way over your head. And from what i have heard from the average footy fan is that they don't tend to understand the nuisances of the game, and rather look at it superficially (which i don't mean that in a disrespectful way, just that there are some who see the happenings of a game more analytically and on a deeper level - mostly due to playing footy at senior level at some point). So saying 'everyone here' as evidence to validate your point, actually further invalidates it from my perspective lol.

I don't care about his stats, i see a bloke who works his backside off trying to separate from his opponent and create space for his teammates to work into and utilise him (which his teammates have not been doing effectively, hence the stats). I see a bloke who places a hell of a lot of perceived pressure on his opponents, effecting their ability to exit defence comfortably. I also see a bloke who's efforts have broken a game on the scoreboard, via link up/overlap play either directly or indirectly, time and time again. So no, Wicks is not 'out of form', his teammates are. If he was getting opportunities and wasting them, then yes i would say he is out of form. But that is simply not the case. No one questioned his 'form' during our winning streak, that ain't a coincidence.
No-one really questions anyone when things are going well. Well, some people on here will dump on particular players no matter what, but generally.

I don't think numbers tell the whole story true. But there have been times in the last 5 weeks or so that Wicks has looked fumbly, zero composure with the ball or when he's in its vicinity. That's not numbers.

I thought he, Hayward and McLean kept us in it against the Dockers until the rest of the team kicked into gear. He wasn't great against the Saints, but should probably have kept his spot. But then he certainly didn't earn his spot back with VFL form.

I do like how the alternatives for Wicks are a bunch of mids making our side even slower. Already have JMac out, Rampe whilst not electric is quicker than Francis…and Paps is our quickest forward.

Hanily would be the only option but it’s a risk giving a debut this late
Or don't drop Campbell and play him in the position he went no.5 at.

You want a guy that provides pressure and tackles inside 50. Wicks 2024 tackles in order of highest to low
4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1 ....

Last year:
9, 8, 8, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4....

Its taken him his last 5 games in 2024 to lay the same amount of tackles as he did in the final round of the regular season last year

Dude, because i told you stats don't represent everything, i literally do not care what his numbers were, every game and circumstance is different and a comparative drop/increase of some numbers by a couple don't mean anything. I'm looking at the way he plays (to the eye) under certain circumstances. The higher stats don't necessarily mean he was better. If the team is having an off day you might be trying to do other things to get involved, lay tackles, pressure etc - that will likely inflate your numbers in those areas. Compare that to having a midfield playing through its skin to work off, all of a sudden all you have to worry about is finding space and being used. Chances are in those circumstances you won't need to pressure and tackle as much, and just worry about collecting a few over the top possessions and have much more deadly affect on the scoreboard than when doing it hard (despite worse numbers). That's where Wick's attributes come into their own, Rohan is another great example of that. Idgaf about his tackle number in that situation, i want to see him peel off and be a scoring weapon a handful of times before the ball even has a chance to hit the deck in the forward line requiring forward pressure.

If Wicks had better score involvement % in poorer games, ofcourse he did because we scored less. If we only scored 1 goal in a game and he contributes, that would be a return of 100% score involvement. It's not a conclusive stat.

Or don't drop Campbell and play him in the position he went no.5 at.

How about no. Bloke can’t find the ball. I don’t care if he can kick, he can’t find the ball and he doesn’t have a right foot to play FWD unless he does it at VFL level to work on that

How about no. Bloke can’t find the ball. I don’t care if he can kick, he can’t find the ball and he doesn’t have a right foot to play FWD unless he does it at VFL level to work on that
Firstly, and I don't know why this ever needs repeating as often as it does, we are not playing fantasy footy. I do not care how many possessions you have as long as you are doing your job and use the ball well enough when you have it.

And the weird thing about playing in the forward line as opposed to bit parts on the wing etc, is that the ball usually comes to you, or your vicinity, you don't have to go "find it" as much. You may need to lead up around the 50 though, funnily enough lead up marking was one of Campbell's strengths when he joined.

If a small forward is finding the ball 30 times in a game I'd suggest they aren't doing their job because they're obviously all over the ground "finding the ball".

No-one really questions anyone when things are going well. Well, some people on here will dump on particular players no matter what, but generally.

I don't think numbers tell the whole story true. But there have been times in the last 5 weeks or so that Wicks has looked fumbly, zero composure with the ball or when he's in its vicinity. That's not numbers.

I thought he, Hayward and McLean kept us in it against the Dockers until the rest of the team kicked into gear. He wasn't great against the Saints, but should probably have kept his spot. But then he certainly didn't earn his spot back with VFL form.
This i can agree with. I did notice a few times where Wicks bottled the ball. But just because it happened a few times over the space of two games doesn't mean you're all of a sudden 'out of form', sometimes you can just have a few moments of shit luck happen in quick succession (happens to Gulden multiple times per game at times before he turns it on). For someone who has been a weapon over a long stretch, he'd have to have a run of 5+ games of completely botching the footy for me to be like ok maybe something mentally or physically off. That's also why Florent and Blakey are still getting a game.

It's one thing to notice a drop in performance, but you also need an extra similar amount of time to prove that it ain't 'form' before conceding that it is.

Dude, because i told you stats don't represent everything, i literally do not care what his numbers were, every game and circumstance is different and a comparative drop/increase of some numbers by a couple don't mean anything. I'm looking at the way he plays (to the eye) under certain circumstances. The higher stats don't necessarily mean he was better. If the team is having an off day you might be trying to do other things to get involved, lay tackles, pressure etc - that will likely inflate your numbers in those areas. Compare that to having a midfield playing through its skin to work off, all of a sudden all you have to worry about is finding space and being used. Chances are in those circumstances you won't need to pressure and tackle as much, and just worry about collecting a few over the top possessions and have much more deadly affect on the scoreboard than when doing it hard (despite worse numbers). That's where Wick's attributes come into their own, Rohan is another great example of that. Idgaf about his tackle number in that situation, i want to see him peel off and be a scoring weapon a handful of times before the ball even has a chance to hit the deck in the forward line requiring forward pressure.

If Wicks had better score involvement % in poorer games, ofcourse he did because we scored less. If we only scored 1 goal in a game and he contributes, that would be a return of 100% score involvement. It's not a conclusive stat.
Its actually so tough to even read your long replies because they go off the hinge so quickly. What does Ginnivan provide that actually leads to us winning football games.

1. He doesn't impact the scoreboard
2. He doesn't tackle
3. He doesn't apply pressure
4. He doesn't get involved in build up before scores

He is just a plain average player in their because we have no "quote-on-quote" small forwards. Play any winger/on baller in his spot and they atleast do one of those 4 aforementioned criteria

So much angst over the 22nd and 23rd players in the team. If we're relying on them then we are cooked anyway.
All I know is that I'm going to be on Wicks watch tomorrow night.

I'll keep an eye on the gameday thread to keep informed about the rest of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its actually so tough to even read your long replies because they go off the hinge so quickly. What does Ginnivan provide that actually leads to us winning football games.

1. He doesn't impact the scoreboard
2. He doesn't tackle
3. He doesn't apply pressure

He is just a plain average player in their because we have no "quote-on-quote" small forwards. Play any winger/on baller in his spot and they atleast do one of those 4 aforementioned criteria
You're clearly trying to look at it on a basic level. Might be a long reply but it does explain the nuisances of the role to a tee.

Essentially you're points 1, 2,3 & 4 don't mean as much as you think they do under certain circumstances. Except that Wicks is pretty bloody good at point 4 when the team is playing well (and by the way, point 4 is literally the only one that matters when the team is playing well). You don't need to lay a tackle when you've been used effectively in a chain and the ball is being walked back to the middle by the ump for a centre bounce.

Parker was your on-baller thrown forward doing points 2 and 3 last week and it amounted to nothing.

Everyone here is saying he is out of form and doesn't deserve a spot in the side. Just because he was good 12 months ago doesn't mean he deserves to stay in the side when he is playing worse than the sub who plays 1/4 game time in most games.

Also to everyone out there saying we need Wicks in the side he is key to winning, his worst two statistical seasons have come when we made the grand final and also this season, his best seasons have come when Sydney didn't make it into September or make it past the first week.

So which one is it:
1. Wicks is crucial to Sydney Success?
2. Wicks has mystical pressure that a stat sheet can't record?
3. Need to keep team continuity and not drop out of form players?
So it seems you are saying we are making the Grannie this year.

You're clearly trying to look at it on a basic level. Might be a long reply but it does explain the nuisances of the role to a tee.

Essentially you're points 1, 2,3 & 4 don't mean as much as you think they do under certain circumstances. Except that Wicks is pretty bloody good at point 4 when the team is playing well (and by the way, point 4 is literally the only one that matters when the team is playing well). You don't need to lay a tackle when you've been used effectively in a chain and the ball is being walked back to the middle by the ump for a centre bounce.

Parker was your on-baller thrown forward doing points 2 and 3 last week and it amounted to nothing.
Before i start lets just add that in the most recent game Sam Wicks had 1 Score involvement

Parker against the WB from the sub role had 3 SI's to Wicks 1
Parker has also laid more tackles than Wicks per game and he has started sub 2/3 times compared to Wicks who has started sub 2/15.

Parker has also kicked 3 goals in 3 games compared to Wicks 10 in 15 games

So no you just seem to have this mental image in your head that Wicks is playing good footy.

Sam Wicks in the last 5 games in playing in the bottom quartile of small to medium forwards

How to watch on Fox Footy: From 7:25pm on Channel 503 with Anthony Hudson, Dermott Brereton, Mark Ricciuto, Ben Dixon & David Zita

How to watch on Fox Footy: From 7:25pm on Channel 503 with Anthony Hudson, Dermott Brereton, Mark Ricciuto, Ben Dixon & David Zita
Its saying a lot that the sports reporter for Tribunals is the second best commentator in a pool of 5

Will be Huddo, Dermie and Ben Dixon in the "box"
*in Melbourne.

Roo on the sidelines in Adelaide.

Zita in the studio making comments at 1/4 1/2 time etc.

On behalf of South Australia, apologies for Ricciuto being on our games.

Everyone and anyone can make stats to suit arguments. Not just you everyone does it. Wicks does more than the possessions he gets, could he do more sure any chance of the mods not kicking it to the Eiffel Tower in height though?
I haven’t seen Ticky009, caesar88 or any of the other mods with Sherrin in hand - when did this Eiffel Tower kicking session occur?!?!

I feel so left out.

Blakey ideally should be taking the 4th dangerous forward, so he can play the intercept role where he peels off his player to either mark or spoil in a contest. Love seeing that. It also gives him freedom to create off halfback without the burden of locking down on a player.

Tmac
Fox
Mills
Francis
Blakey
Cunningham
Roberts

As our defensive 7 would be good. Have olfo in the juzzy versatile role where he plays different positions. Lloyd on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back