Preview Round 21 Swans vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before i start lets just add that in the most recent game Sam Wicks had 1 Score involvement

4. He doesn't get involved in build up before scores

Parker against the WB from the sub role had 3 SI's to Wicks 1
Parker has also laid more tackles than Wicks per game and he has started sub 2/3 times compared to Wicks who has started sub 2/15.

Parker has also kicked 3 goals in 3 games compared to Wicks 10 in 15 games

So no you just seem to have this mental image in your head that Wicks is playing good footy.

Sam Wicks in the last 5 games in playing in the bottom quartile of small to medium forwards
No i'm just telling you that if Parker is having to lay tackles and kick goals, we're losing those games. We can set up with on-ballers everywhere if you like, laying tackle after tackle, scrapping goals. But we'll also lose all those games because chances are our system is going to be absolute shite.

Our best footy is when we move the ball coast to coast with speed and the ball doesn't even need to hit the deck for us to even be required to lay a tackle. Goodluck playing that sort of footy with Parker and Sheldrick 70m out trying to shake loose an opponent to get involved in a scoring chain :laughing:. Wicks is that better option in that situation 10/10 times. Our end goal is playing in that manner, not scrapping a low percentage contested win.

If i look at the stats and see Wicks has had 12 touches, 1 goal and 2 score involvements, i'm pretty confident we've won that game. If I see Parker 9 tackles and 2 goals, i'd be pretty confident we've lost.

No i'm just telling you that if Parker is having to lay tackles and kick goals, we're losing those games. We can set up with on-ballers everywhere if you like, laying tackle after tackle, scrapping goals. But we'll also lose all those games because chances are our system is going to be absolute shite.

Our best footy is when we move the ball coast to coast with speed and the ball doesn't even need to hit the deck for us to even be required to lay a tackle. Goodluck playing that sort of footy with Parker and Sheldrick 70m out trying to shake loose an opponent to get involved in a scoring chain :laughing:. Wicks is that better option in that situation 10/10 times. Our end goal is playing in that manner, not scrapping a low percentage contested win.

If i look at the stats and see Wicks has had 12 touches, 1 goal and 2 score involvements, i'm pretty confident we've won that game. If I see Parker 9 tackles and 2 goals, i'd be pretty confident we've lost.
There is no point arguing with you anymore because literal facts can't get you out of fantasy land. With your train of thought Wicks is the saviour with everything Swans related and should win our best and fairest because he is most crucial to the team. Stats blatantly say he is a passenger and plays better in losses

Hopefully Wicks kicks 5 and makes 20 tackles to win us the game or he just plays his role and is effective in a team win.

The Port Board, in terminating Hinkley’s contract, stated that Saturday’s 100 point loss to Sydney had forced their hand.

Port CEO Matthew Richardson noted that “the sight of Sam Wicks kicking his 7th & taking the margin into triple figures incensed our fans. The board felt it was time for hard calls to be made”.

We are still sitting clear on top but statistically these last few weeks, including when still winning, we are a team that is 7th to 14th in the competition.
We've lost our DNA which put us clear on top.
Once again we play a team who has been statistically superior to us on the ladder these last few weeks so it is difficult to see where or how we turn that around away from home against a team we haven't beaten since 2016.
That's the last 7 times we've played them we've lost.
Including in 2022 our Grand Final year.

A win this week against Port will require a significant change in the way we are currently playing.
It won't be because our stars will dominate or play well but because the coaches have addressed a game plan that has been taken apart by good opposition coaches. Plan B or C so to speak.
We don't actually have one. Haven't had one since Horse went all out attacking.
It consists of utilising the centre corridor & if that's been taken away from us, we rely on brilliance from the odd few that are capable of brilliant things.
Against the contenders, that doesn't happen often.

The Port Board, in terminating Hinkley’s contract, stated that Saturday’s 100 point loss to Sydney had forced their hand.

Port CEO Matthew Richardson noted that “the sight of Sam Wicks kicking his 7th & taking the margin into triple figures incensed our fans. The board felt it was time for hard calls to be made”.
"We are now moving quickly to usher in an ambitious new era of succ...uh...I mean stability, by announcing the signing of Josh Carr for the next [counts on both hands, then asks for help] 12 years!"

Koch takes the mic:

"We believe we've got the mix right and this allows the new coaching and management team, which will otherwise remain unchanged, the necessary time to build, rebuild, build, rebuild, build, rebuild, build for success."

"Any questions?"

[Tredrea waves his arms, but is led out by security]

Bit of a Myth given They have similar output when forward
One of the reasons Tay left Pies was, he wanted more minutes. He spent a lot of time forward last year, more like a Papley, only pinch hitting in the mids. Whereas, Parker has been a full time mid, not necessarily resting in the forward line. Mostly on the bench. But the few times he has spent any time there he was damaging. Such as the game he kicked 5

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think Tay has ever kicked 5 goals & he has spent far more time forward than Luke.

Whys 5 goals the measure when they average basically the same per game?

Where are you getting the far more time forward than Luke Parker stat from? Can you link it ? as it sounds made up.

If it is true then Adams averaging more possies a game must be extra impressive , given he is "forward far more"

One of the reasons Tay left Pies was, he wanted more minutes. He spent a lot of time forward last year, more like a Papley, only pinch hitting in the mids. Whereas, Parker has been a full time mid, not necessarily resting in the forward line. Mostly on the bench. But the few times he has spent any time there he was damaging. Such as the game he kicked 5

Again Adams career numbers are higher must be the better mid then ... by your logic

Parker has kicked 5 goals twice certainly impressive, but they are massive outliers, both he and Adams are mids who can do a little forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t seen Ticky009, caesar88 or any of the other mods with Sherrin in hand - when did this Eiffel Tower kicking session occur?!?!

I feel so left out.

Campbell almost hits the tower with his bomb and hope for the best

Firstly, and I don't know why this ever needs repeating as often as it does, we are not playing fantasy footy. I do not care how many possessions you have as long as you are doing your job and use the ball well enough when you have it.

And the weird thing about playing in the forward line as opposed to bit parts on the wing etc, is that the ball usually comes to you, or your vicinity, you don't have to go "find it" as much. You may need to lead up around the 50 though, funnily enough lead up marking was one of Campbell's strengths when he joined.

If a small forward is finding the ball 30 times in a game I'd suggest they aren't doing their job because they're obviously all over the ground "finding the ball".

Problem is he’s not doing his job- wingers getting sub 15 possession games are not doing anywhere near enough and when he does get the ball he kicks and hopes more often than not.

A worry for me is that footy games always tighten up as the season goes, defensive structures tighten etc. so the contest becomes more important than ball movement. We've improved in the former this year but still too reliant on the latter. All the sides coming good at the right time of year - Freo, Bulldogs, Port, Giants - all good contested sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back