Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind Webster as depth/borderline firsts. He's had a solid year. But his biggest weakness is smarts, or lack thereof. He can't seem to think beyond the current contest. Or courageously throws his body in and goes to ground but just leaves us exposed. Or doesn't kill the ball or clear the area when he's 2 or 3 onto 1. But he's ok. I think if Paton is ready to go he needs to slot straight in.

Which part do you disagree with BrutThough?

Marshall is a great clearance playing midfielder that is too big and tall not to playing ruck.
We need to spend the pre season getting the mids use to Ryder not being in the middle.

I think they've gotten use to Ryder doing all the work for them so when he doesnt play, they get smashed in clearances because roving to an average tap is harder.

Marshall won't ever get to Ryder's level but he is great at so many other aspects of being a ruck that it won't matter.

Bytel had the spot but didnt do enough with it. His 16 disposals a match weren't helping us win so he lost his spot like any midfielder continually contributing very little to a side would.

Dunstan banged down the door, got the opportunity and hasn't warranted being dropped.

As sh*t as you continually say Dunstan is, he is still delivering a lot more than Bytel was.
Yes his 20 disposals and 8 clangers were a real game changer.

Also this is what happened to Melbourne last year, Terrible against teams they were meant to beat and played blinders against team the weren't going to beat. They bring in a very good coach and now they have a real shot at a grand final.

You mean Choco? I doubt it’s all Goodwin. ( and probably not Richo)

We need to draft another quality young midfielder with our first pick, Steele got shut down in the 2nd half and we struggled from then on.

Ross and Dunstan aren't up to it if we want to build a premiership winning midfield, we need to move them on and we can't rely on Hannebery.

We need to develop the likes of Bytel, Byrnes and Connolly and maybe poach another midfielder from GWS or GC like Taranto, Green, Sharp or Fiorini.

Some hope for everyone:

Steele will still be a gun next year.

Bytel will have improved enough to step into a starting mid or bench role

Byrnes can play outside running role with Jones

Connolly can either play wing or release Hill from the backline to play wing again without losing the double running half back Sinclair/Hill combo

Hanners has shown he still has the class and strategic game sense, hopefully he can spend his last season mentoring the draftees in the twos and coming in for important games next year.

Gresh will be back thank god.

____ first round draft pick (will be a classy top tier mid) will be guaranteed quality in the vein of Walsh, Butters, Rowell, Smith, Anderson. They'll be someone we can build into a future leader and pin our hopes and dreams of. They'll have the personality that takes on the
responsibility to lift our club.

Mitchito Owens and Windhager will fill two important roles that we need. Regardless of whether Billings and Dunstan and Ross stay or go we need either replacements or improvements or depth in the roles of mid/forward and inside/outside mid. Owens plays that 190+cm inside/outside mid with good agility and physicality. Windhager is a dynamic mid who goes forwards and kicks goals. They won't be straight away stars but they'll be drafted alongside our top 10 midfielder who will work with them, learn with them and lead them eventually. The same way drafting Coffield/Clark/Paton all together created a bond and instantly strengthened our backline as they all found form and developed together, these three will do the same but for the midfield. The twos should be a constant delight watching three mids all develop at the same time. The great thing is they won't compete with eachother either, having different types of midfield roles.

Heath can begin playing key forward for a game every now and then and work his ruck craft in the twos. Imagine him developing an almost telepathic connection with our three mids. When they're all in their prime in 3 years it'll be ridiculous how tight the centre bounce work will be.

So 7 pages of autopsy mostly filled up with bagging Dunny and not one single mention of Zac Jones.

Great effort all round by the boys. Nearly won it against all the odds, injury to King made it hard, poor game by a few others made it harder.

Not far of it in my opinion - hope the players realise this year was a lost opportunity - if they do we will be finals bound next year

Sign Sharman now, kids gonna be a long term player for us.

Hanners is cooked too. Too many players waiting for others to do the work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are posters thoughts on the ability of the Saints ability to develop kids, had a Richmond supporter just say to me the club has a bad culture and has not been able to develop kids. His context was Billings which I would think is a bad example.

Ratts has played a lot of kids over the last couple of months yes by necessity but still - Byrnes, Bytel, King, Marshall, Coffield, Clark, Highmore, Sharman all have huge scope.

Hoping that the Cats are not able to pinch a flag before age catches up with them.

Lyon, Watters and especially Richo were all trash at developing young players. Ratten has them all covered blindfolded but i am worried that he might have the clarko mentality and want ready made players no matter where they come from instead of the best available talent in the draft where the real class is. Cats have taken the ready made path as well under Scott for zero flags. When Clarko arrived at the hawks he had the best group of youngsters probably ever assembled which led to their flags. If he arrived at the club five years earlier, i would put money on it he would have won zero flags.

Lost the game because Danger willed them to win. Actually rate the Cats to win flag.
We didn't do to bad to start with , good effort - we will be far better next year.

Seriously I would keep the list as whole as possible, draft a mid, two NGAs, King fit and we are close to competing with a flag favourite. Not sure why everyone wants to cull half the list. We need depth not to bottom out.

Lyon, Watters and especially Richo were all trash at developing young players. Ratten has them all covered blindfolded but i am worried that he might have the clarko mentality and want ready made players no matter where they come from instead of the best available talent in the draft where the real class is. Cats have taken the ready made path as well under Scott for zero flags. When Clarko arrived at the hawks he had the best group of youngsters probably ever assembled which led to their flags. If he arrived at the club five years earlier, i would put money on it he would have won zero flags.

I think some is forced, he played his favourites when there was a fit list last year.

Seriously I would keep the list as whole as possible, draft a mid, two NGAs, King fit and we are close to competing with a flag favourite. Not sure why everyone wants to cull half the list. We need depth not to bottom out.
We can afford to let one of Dunstan, Ross and Billings go. Letting them all go would be disastrous.

I sound like a broken record, but we really need to get Billings re signed asap. We just dont have enough good players to be letting him walk.

I don't mind Webster as depth/borderline firsts. He's had a solid year. But his biggest weakness is smarts, or lack thereof. He can't seem to think beyond the current contest. Or courageously throws his body in and goes to ground but just leaves us exposed. Or doesn't kill the ball or clear the area when he's 2 or 3 onto 1. But he's ok. I think if Paton is ready to go he needs to slot straight in.

Along with Howard and Wilkie, Jweb has been essential to our backline this year. I’d play him along Paton if anything next year. He will finish top 10 in BnF this year.

With respect, this was a dumb take.

It was a game changer. Just for the wrong team

I thought Jones, Steele, Hanners, Dunny, Crouch, Byrnes etc hardly touching it after half time while Stanley fed their mids silver service killed us. On top of that they went man on man and we couldn't get the ball out of defence without burning the ball.

We can afford to let one of Dunstan, Ross and Billings go. Letting them all go would be disastrous.

I sound like a broken record, but we really need to get Billings re signed asap. We just dont have enough god players to be letting him walk.

Agree, if they all sign on for less I'd keep them all. So what if they get pushed to depth. One of Crouch, Dunstan etc playing VFL and pushing the weak link out is ideal. Good sides have depth.

I sound like a broken record, but we really need to get Billings re signed asap. We just dont have enough god players to be letting him walk.

Agreed. I’d let Ross and Dunstan walk, i’m backing in Bytel, Byrnes to slot in for them.

Billing’s i’d let walk for first only. He’s a good player, he’s best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back