Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of things to note today .

Every time Rayner tried to do the fend off they were all over him . They also applied a lot of off the ball pressure on him. This comes with the territory if you want to be a match winner so let's see if he can keep it up now that the media have sanctified him.

I don't think Joyce and Smith were anywhere near as poor as what some seem to think. In fact considering where Smith is at in his career he'll be our first ruck sooner than anyone imagines. I just hope we give him the experience.

Joyce is what he is and smith played his 4th game. Not either of their fault but have to hope Jack and Eric are back fit and firing before the end of the season.

I think we've all forgotten how it feels to lose.

Goal kicking, clearance work and gassing out against relentless run are all growth areas. Would have been obviously better to win this game, but we're going to have to win finals on the road to win a premiership. We're still in this up to our eyeballs.

After that performance, MCG target practice and the revenge factor, I will be shocked if we don't play a strong game next week. I feel sorry for Collingwood. 😏

Joyce is what he is and smith played his 4th game. Not either of their fault but have to hope Jack and Eric are back fit and firing before the end of the season.
For sure. I'm not counting on Jack coming back in any form , huge bonus if that happened. Eric ,hopefully it's only a minor problem

We lost. It's not the end of the world. Some of the negatives posted are a bit over the top. Good players beat our young or inexperienced on occasions, shocking. A cpl of our good players weren't at their best when they should be perfect every game. The players don't want it, threw away this, threw away that. Ffs.

We weren't good in front of goal, done. That's all that's needed to be said. First qtr misses let them in. They got a roll on, was always going to happen, we would get momentum back then miss goals to take advantage. That happened a cpl of times if not more. Our accuracy in front of goal has been pretty good of recent. Today not.

We did enough in the game to win it, we missed goals and didn't.

I really thought our 4 quarter effort last week and the first quarter this week was just about the best footy I've seen us play.

When they stepped up and applied a genuine contest we just weren't quite ready for it but we regrouped and went with them , if not getting the better of it and just didn't convert our chances. And they converted theirs.

We'll be a lot better for what happened today. Yes it sucks to have lost but as long as we get Top 4 there aren't any excuses from there.

We played one quarter, they played 3. Still, we almost got them.
That's it in a nutshell for me. GWS are a decent team.

As an aside, the whole experience today was a bit of a downer. Train from landsborough late by at least an hour, would have missed start of game. Was going to return to caloundra, but decided to drive to chermside. Crawled down Bruce highway, took over 90 minutes from landsborough station. No idea why so slow, no roadworks as far as I could see.Queued up for the shuttle bus at 1245 and got into the ground just before 2 o'clock. The result was the icing on the cake. I'd think twice about returning from Vic to watch another game at the gabba.

Drive back up the road was okay though. Tremendous...

I really thought our 4 quarter effort last week and the first quarter this week was just about the best footy I've seen us play.

When they stepped up and applied a genuine contest we just weren't quite ready for it but we regrouped and went with them , if not getting the better of it and just didn't convert our chances. And they converted theirs.

We'll be a lot better for what happened today. Yes it sucks to have lost but as long as we get Top 4 there aren't any excuses from there.
Perspective

Lost the game in Q1.

Way too many poor contributors: Big O, Charlie (who must be close to being dropped), Lachie, Bailey, Rayner, Ashcroft et al.

How the hell we can get thrashed around the ball v what was supposed to be a second ranker ruck I am mystified.

I'm prepared to accept Joe is a one off with all that entails but that doesn't mean he is absolved from tackling, pressure etc. He is lazy. And a very poor team example.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I'd rather we lost by being comprehensively beaten but the truth is we were the better team. The better team for 80% of the day, the better team around the ground and should have won. The expected scores result on twitter is going to be horrific to look at. The reality is we were better and lost, that's just a bitter pill to swallow.
Hm? I have the opposite reaction. Knowing we were the better team gives me hope, that with better kicking and clamping down on the wing, we can beat the Giants in the finals. Had we been totally outclassed, I'd be much more pessimistic about our chances of winning the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first thought was that we just threw it away but on reflection we only kicked 3 after half time on our home deck.

Maybe the guys were just physically and mentally not up for it after busting our gut to get here we have. You often see teams that fire on all cylinders when they're rolling extending what we did last week for a while and by quarter time that was it.

I'm not counting on anything ,we need to make the Top 4 first before worrying about who plays where.
3.8 in the 2nd half - 11 shots on goal just couldn’t convert. Expected score had us winning comfortably. Effort didn’t look like the issue for me

Just another thought on Joe's lack of professionalism. I watched his warmup closely and it was appalling. His live kicking mirrored his practise kicking- ie all over the shop. Sloppy, self indulgent crap.

I sometimes wonder what Leigh would make of this bloke. I reckon it might involve a regular kick up the clacker.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Know where you are coming from re last weeks game but we were at the game live and i know its how we let the opposition play but the st kida footy club last week was a pathetic advertisement for an AFL team on that day.

If it ends up Geelong 2nd us 3rd, that would be an amazing consolation prize. Getting Geelong at the G would basically be a neutral game.
AFL would take the opportunity to play it in Geelong. Every season Geelong cry foul at not getting home finals (which is fair). They would play an interstate team against Geelong down there.

We lost it in front of goal. Easy goals missed in the first qtr leaves the door open for a quick response. But worse for me was the set shots missed in the 2nd half. Get those shots we win.
12.12 instead of 8.16 would have been enough, and probably would have prevented GWS getting a few of their goals.
No point crying about GWS being amazingly accurate - this was all on our goal kicking.
Top 4 is still very possible.

I would love Hippy back next week.

AFL would take the opportunity to play it in Geelong. Every season Geelong cry foul at not getting home finals (which is fair). They would play an interstate team against Geelong down there.

Zero chance IMO. Looking like there will be a lot of interstate finals this year. All Melbourne finals will be at MCG or Marvel.

Joe had a seriously good player for company today. Even if he’d been at his best, it would have been a tough contest to dominate.
Hipwood being absent didn’t help him either.

Like most, I think Morris is going to be a player. However, I’d love another lead up tall. I’d be looking at Jack Martin who is strong overhead and, with our fitness staff, would be good for a goal or two a game.

Zero chance IMO. Looking like there will be a lot of interstate finals this year. All Melbourne finals will be at MCG or Marvel.
Might be what saves us.

Allegedly the formula is if the crowd is forecast to be 55k plus it has to be mcg, if not can be gmhba.

crowd in 2022 prelim was 78k. Yes a prelim still that’s a lot more than 55k…

Might be what saves us.

Allegedly the formula is if the crowd is forecast to be 55k plus it has to be mcg, if not can be gmhba.

crowd in 2022 prelim was 78k. Yes a prelim still that’s a lot more than 55k…

If it was a final against GC, GWS, or Freo, maybe. But that's pretty much it I would have thought.

If it's a Geelong Lions qualifying final, it'll be at the MCG.

I don't understand how the game can be on the line and not one single Lions player stood up and tried to land a tackle. Fletcher, Bailey, Ashcroft all watching players just waltz passed them. Absolutely pathetic. We simply didn't want that as much as GWS did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22,2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Back