Game Day Round 22 vs. Sydney, SCG, 7:40pm Friday 09/08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t be dropping Long. Especially not as we are losing Jordy and with Mitchell still missing long term.

while he’s not a world beater he’s doing a lot of hard work in the clinches, forcing stoppages and laying blocks etc. his big body is a useful weapon.

Out Jordy
In dunno, maybe Harrison
Sullivan is a better player than Long, but you might be right about the physical presence - whatever the coaches decide is fine.

Sullivan is a midget
I still think he's a better player than Ned Long - but seeing neither are likely to do much offensively, we might be better with the bigger body to be more disruptive around stoppage. Can we get Tay Tay back on loan?

He’s a big lump of meat that can tackle.

Stupid mistakes, lack of aerial presence and zero agility below his knees cancels his benefits.
I can’t wait until Smit makes Cox redundant.
Words fail me. Without Cox we do not win the 2023 flag. No question about it. Show some bloody respect to the man. He has been bashed and battered for ten years for the mighty Magpies and some so called fans treat him with such disdain it leaves me shaking my head .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Ned Long wasn't putrid last night and in his other games?

If they're all equally putrid, I'd still much rather invest in someone who at least has some talent/attributes to succeed. Who said it has to be Macrae? Why are we not investing in Reef and if not Reef why not Allan and reward him for his dominant game last week?

Or we could've also just continued to back HH in even after a quiet game or two. Give him the HFF role that Lipinski has and give Lipinski the midfield time that apparently he's being starved of.
Lipinski is as slow as Long but does not body the ball nor tackle if he can avoid it. Long at least gives you a bigger body inside and tries to lay tackles /blocks for the others to go to work (Nick, Pendles, Crisp). He was torched by Cripps as he ran out of gas.

I agree with your senitment though re younger guys being 'invested in' (over period of time) but at this juncture, with every game a final, it's about what afl-level attribute can you bring to the table that makes the on-ball 'mix' better ..Long's inside grunt (albeit he's slow, not the greatest with ball) possibly does that

Lipinski is as slow as Long but does not body the ball nor tackle if he can avoid it. Long at least gives you a bigger body inside and tries to lay tackles /blocks for the others to go to work (Nick, Pendles, Crisp). He was torched by Cripps as he ran out of gas.

I agree with your senitment though re younger guys being 'invested in' (over period of time) but at this juncture, with every game a final, it's about what afl-level attribute can you bring to the table that makes the on-ball 'mix' better ..Long's inside grunt (albeit he's slow, not the greatest with ball) possibly does that
Long was clocked inside the top 5 fastest players last night.

Long was clocked inside the top 5 fastest players last night.

Yup
8120d7e60ffc68467a63e3123a58a5ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does long remind anyone else of Rupert wills? Coaches love him because he's big and tackles, but he doesn't really do anything else...

Surprised by this

I rate acceleration over top speed though, would be interested to see if there's any metrics for that

Doesn't Allan have the record for being fastest over 20m in the draft ever?
Yes, and Reef too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back