Game Day Round 22 vs. Sydney, SCG, 7:40pm Friday 09/08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one thinking Krueger gets near the effectiveness of Cox in the Ruck, or as a down the line target is kidding themselves.
Still can't believe fans here think Cox is replaceable by someone 5 inches shorter than him.

The coaching staff knows better hence they won't omit Cox if he's healthy.

That's a super big confidence dent. Almost unheard of from a team sitting on top of the ladder at this stage of the season.

Personally, I don't think lack of confidence is their problem. I would have suggested it was 'over' confidence 🤪
Papley wasn't playing for them, so the "over-confidence" factor wouldn't have been so great.

You obviously have zero idea.
Haha... Don't make this about me - let's discuss the topic.

Do you honestly think Allan has shown that he is a contested ball winning / tackling / bottom of the pack type? I certainly don't - not even in his one good inside midfield game.

Maybe it's our definition of 'bull' that differs, rather than what you and I see him doing on the field. Can you provide your definition of 'bull' for me?

Lipinski is as slow as Long but does not body the ball nor tackle if he can avoid it. Long at least gives you a bigger body inside and tries to lay tackles /blocks for the others to go to work (Nick, Pendles, Crisp). He was torched by Cripps as he ran out of gas.

I agree with your senitment though re younger guys being 'invested in' (over period of time) but at this juncture, with every game a final, it's about what afl-level attribute can you bring to the table that makes the on-ball 'mix' better ..Long's inside grunt (albeit he's slow, not the greatest with ball) possibly does that
I keep hearing about Long's big body and tackles but am yet to see any benefits whatsoever to our team when he is on the ground.

Every thing he does is slow- his hand passes are slow and loopy. When he gets the pill he is immediately tackled and usually handballs wildly to divest himself of the ball.

He was tagging Cripps in the last term at centre bounces and he was annihilated.

Lipinski is many levels of class above Long and to suggest otherwise just can't be taken seriously.

Long has been given a good run of games and has had the chance to show what he has to offer. The answer sadly, is not much.

Not sure how we won last night when you look at some of the numbers.

Carlton had 7 of the top 10 disposal winners while we also had the bottom 3.

They won the inside 50, clearance count and had higher disposal efficiency to go with all those extra numbers.

Fantastic that we won and even better that it was recorded in Pendles 400th but our midfield still worry me now and moving forward.

What also worries me is that the likes of Lipinski, Bytel and Long aren't aiding us much in defending transition or masking the aging and slowing legs of Pendles and Sidebottom.

Pendlebury is still a marvel with ball in hand but if his opponent gets a gap on him then they're off to the races. He and the others thrown at Cripps and Co. had little answers to the clearance dominance of Carlton in the final quarter.

Sidebottom just the 11 disposals last night after successive games of 14 and 12. This is a guy who used to rack up 30 at will on a wing. What role did he look to be playing last night?

If he's keeping Lipinski from a position on the wing is that really the right move given the different stages of their careers?

I always thought he'd end his time as a creative half forward.

As for Lipinski just 4 disposals from 32% TOG last night. Only 9 last week against the bottom placed Richmond. Is he out of form or being shunted to a role that he's not best suited to?

While I'm loathe to make any definitive statements on players with only a few senior games under their belt, in my first proper viewing of Long and Bytel it was hard to believe these two were filling midfield roles of the reigning Premiers.

While they both had a few good moments, on the evidence of last night at least they both looked very much like VFL level players.

Bytel finished with a respectable 15 disposals but as mentioned by others him and Long looked tentative at times and seemed to hold back and defer going for the ball when more experienced teammates were in the vicinity. They need to overcome that and quickly as hestitation is a killer at AFL level.

If Sydney rediscover their mojo I worry the likes of Warner, Heeney, Gulden and Blakey etc will scorch us through the centre of the SCG.

With DeGoey out do we throw Reef a lifeline and actually give him some limited midfield minutes, some centre bounces to see if can bring the required intensity at the coal face? He mighn't have the capacity to be a fulltime midfielder but surely being part of a rotation like we did with DeGoey once upon a time is the step he needs to take.

If not him how about Allan who just had his best VFL game of the year last week?

Hasn't come on as quickly as hoped this year but with DeGoey out I feel we need to take a chance on someone with a bit of size, speed and x-factor about them.

2 weeks ago Pies were cooked too.
Difference is Swans are still guaranteed top 4 finish and playing at home. Pies were also written off last year in August as done from the finals.... but we all know what happened. Swans to me look like they've taken their foot off the pedal knowing they are guaranteed top 4 and likely minor premiers.

Brisbane Lions are the team to beat in the finals. Looking hungry and are in form.
A Bulldogs vs Lions GF would be fitting given their current forms.

Yes, but. Losing a game by nearly 20 goals does not scream contender to me; and if it’s due to taking their foot off the pedal, then it’s a major miscalculation. That was one hell of a hiding.

I’ve been on the Swans all year, and would have no problems with them winning the flag if we can’t. But this current run of losses looks to be far worse than a late season slump (as we had last year, reputedly due to a heavy training load).

For the Swans it’s more like the wheels have fallen off, the team is cooked, and the coach has lost the plot (to mix up a few negative footy metaphors).

I think we will win next week. Their confidence must be at an all time low - and they’re playing the reigning premiers. It still stands for something.👍

Sidebottom just the 11 disposals last night after successive games of 14 and 12. This is a guy who used to rack up 30 at will on a wing. What role did he look to be playing last night?

If he's keeping Lipinski from a position on the wing is that really the right move given the different stages of their careers?

As for Lipinski just 4 disposals from 32% TOG last night. Only 9 last week against the bottom placed Richmond. Is he out of form or being shunted to a role that he's not best suited to?

Lipiniski came on and played exclusively as a forward and his came time was mostly during when we shut up shop and stopped attacking.

As much as a I defend Lipinski though I think it’s telling the catching staff prefer a cooked Sidebottom and Bytel on the wing over him.

They won the inside 50, clearance count and had higher disposal efficiency to go with all those extra numbers.

Fantastic that we won and even better that it was recorded in Pendles 400th but our midfield still worry me now and moving forward.

What also worries me is that the likes of Lipinski, Bytel and Long aren't aiding us much in defending transition or masking the aging and slowing legs of Pendles and Sidebottom.

Pendlebury is still a marvel with ball in hand but if his opponent gets a gap on him then they're off to the races. He and the others thrown at Cripps and Co. had little answers to the clearance dominance of Carlton in the final quarter.

While I'm loathe to make any definitive statements on players with only a few senior games under their belt, in my first proper viewing of Long and Bytel it was hard to believe these two were filling midfield roles of the reigning Premiers.

While they both had a few good moments, on the evidence of last night at least they both looked very much like VFL level players.

Bytel finished with a respectable 15 disposals but as mentioned by others him and Long looked tentative at times and seemed to hold back and defer going for the ball when more experienced teammates were in the vicinity. They need to overcome that and quickly as hestitation is a killer at AFL level.

If Sydney rediscover their mojo I worry the likes of Warner, Heeney, Gulden and Blakey etc will scorch us through the centre of the SCG.

With DeGoey out do we throw Reef a lifeline and actually give him some limited midfield minutes, some centre bounces to see if can bring the required intensity at the coal face? He mighn't have the capacity to be a fulltime midfielder but surely being part of a rotation like we did with DeGoey once upon a time is the step he needs to take.

If not him how about Allan who just had his best VFL game of the year last week?

Hasn't come on as quickly as hoped this year but with DeGoey out I feel we need to take a chance on someone with a bit of size, speed and x-factor about them.
Vomit inducing post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played with intensity, pressure & passion last night. For time since the bye.

We won. Got the 4 points.

And broke Carlton's hearts in the process.

How any Pie supporter could find anything negative about last night, defies belief.

Biggest moral of the year is the Swans to be leading at quarter time. They will kick 6 minimum this week.

I kind of agree with Ned Long - Cripps towards the end of the match, left Long in his wake. We have seen a bit now. I want to see Allan given the same opportunity.

Out - Long, De Goey, Lipinski

In - Allan, Parker and Markov

Make Markov the sub.

Haha... Don't make this about me - let's discuss the topic.

Do you honestly think Allan has shown that he is a contested ball winning / tackling / bottom of the pack type? I certainly don't - not even in his one good inside midfield game.

Maybe it's our definition of 'bull' that differs, rather than what you and I see him doing on the field. Can you provide your definition of 'bull' for me?
His last game. First time as an inside midfielder

With JDG unavailable, I don't see how we can discard Ned Long from the midfield. he fact that he wasn't able to nullify Cripps is hardly a reasonable criticism. It was up to the entire team to hold Cripps, and it must be said that we weren't able to. To expect a 5th gamer to, who was never a top draft pick, is pretty unreasonable. I don't think it is accurate to say that Long did nothing. He applies tackles and win space for our creative mids. With such a lack of inside mid physical presence in atm, I don't see how dropping him could improve the prospects of winning.

As was mentioned by another poster earlier, the Swans were exposed in defence by PA's tall forward line so there is an argument for bringing Kreuger in to play alongside McStay in a Checkers like role. Since JDG was playing predominantly in as a forward, we could aim to cover his absence from the midfield by giving extra time to Beau and Jamie there.

The only possible improvement would be to replace Bytel with HH, if HH proves himself in training after a rest. I think HH can add more offensive possiblities that Bytel, and HH can also supply energy through the midfield.

Lipinski to stay sub, because we win when he's the sub.;)

Last edited:
His last game. First time as an inside midfielder
It is such a pity that there was no VFL game this week, because I feel that if he produces a similar VFL performance in this role, he gets senior selection.
The hope is that we overcome the Swans on Friday night, and he plays another strong VFL game. Then sure, he earns a place against Brisbane.

No error. Fast and can run all day. Still a kid.
As is our Edward.
I'd bring in Ed against Sydney.
I realise most of you don't think he's ready.

Inside midfielder that has played outside the last couple of VFL seasons.
In his breakout game last weekend he was played inside.
Bull
I hope you're right, but my view is that if you can run like Ed can, why can't you play wing? - there's got to be some issues with his game sense.

Sullivan is a better player than Long, but you might be right about the physical presence - whatever the coaches decide is fine.
What presence? He's had 4 weeks to show he can impact a game and he wanders around the ground looking lost and overwhelmed.

On the rare occasion he gets his hands on the pill he invariably gets tackled and handballs wildly over his head or just absorbs the tackle for a ball up.

He has not used those big muscles to any effect in the games he has played.

What presence? He's had 4 weeks to show he can impact a game and he wanders around the ground looking lost and overwhelmed.

On the rare occasion he gets his hands on the pill he invariably gets tackled and handballs wildly over his head or just absorbs the tackle for a ball up.

He has not used those big muscles to any effect in the games he has played.
I tend to agree, but if they do play him again, it'll probably be because he's doing some physical work around stoppage that we're not noticing.

With JDG unavailable, I don't see how we can discard Ned Long from the midfield. he fact that he wasn't able to nullify Cripps is hardly a reasonable criticism. It was up to the entire team to hold Cripps, and it must be said that we weren't able to. To expect a 5th gamer to, who was never a top draft pick, is pretty unreasonable. I don't think it is accurate to say that Long did nothing. He applies tackles and win space for our creative mids. With such a lack of inside mid physical presence in atm, I don't see how dropping him could improve the prospects of winning.

As was mentioned by another poster earlier, the Swans were exposed in defence by PA's tall forward line so there is an argument for bringing Kreuger in to play alongside McStay in a Checkers like role. Since JDG was playing predominantly in as a forward, we could aim to cover his absence from the midfield by giving extra time to Beau and Jamie there.

The only possible improvement would be to replace Bytel with HH, if HH proves himself in training after a rest. I think HH can add more offensive possiblities that Bytel, and HH can also supply energy through the midfield.

Lipinski to stay sub, because we win when he's the sub.;)
I just don't get it. What physical presence? He may as well be a lovely well-muscled marble statue for all the impact I have seen. McCreery has impact. When he tackles he turns the ball over, he inspires his teammates, they lead to scores. His tackles are demonstrably game changing and a weapon. I see no such impact from Ned. At best he is wrapping up players and another ball up follows.

The experiment has to end or we are playing a man down in my opinion.

6d093e43a5ba2e3c8cfb150ea7b51869.jpg

095f399cc255dadeb94ee33349aebe3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back