Game Day Round 22 vs. Sydney, SCG, 7:40pm Friday 09/08

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't read well for us. It basically says that the way teams have beaten the Swans in recent weeks has been to defend one-on-one all over the ground. We probably do that the least of any team in comp as a default setting.

Add to that the narrowness of the SCG and Best-22 absentees DeGoey, Mihochek and Mitchell (and Murphy) and I really struggle to make a genuine case for us getting over the line. My heart says Pies by 1-5 points but head says Swans by 4-5 goals.

That doesn't read well for us. It basically says that the way teams have beaten the Swans in recent weeks has been to defend one-on-one all over the ground. We probably do that the least of any team in comp as a default setting.

Add to that the narrowness of the SCG and Best-22 absentees DeGoey, Mihochek and Mitchell (and Murphy) and I really struggle to make a genuine case for us getting over the line. My heart says Pies by 1-5 points but head says Swans by 4-5 goals.

Pretty sure the SCG is about the 4th widest ground (4-5m narrower than the G) used by the AFL so “narrowness” shouldn’t be an issue.

AFL Ground Dimensions:
MCG 160 x 141
SCG 155.5 x 136

not definitive bc diff. sources quote diff. dimensions

I think you missed their defensive frailties cited, and the fact we are ranked 3 for scoring efficiency I50.
Put those two together and it turbo charges our chances.

AFL Ground Dimensions:
MCG 160 x 141
SCG 155.5 x 136

If they were rectangles of those dimensions, then that makes the MCG about 7% bigger by surface area the the SGC.

I'm hoping we can jump out of the blocks early and deflate Sydney's confidence. They're not renowned for being a fast-starting team.

In first quarters this year, their record is 8 wins, 1 draw, 11 losses. 6 of those losses have come since their mid-season bye (they've played 9 matches in that time). They haven't won a first quarter in excess of 10 points since Round 7.

I'm hoping we can jump out of the blocks early and deflate Sydney's confidence. They're not renowned for being a fast-starting team.

In first quarters this year, their record is 8 wins, 1 draw, 11 losses. 6 of those losses have come since their mid-season bye (they've played 9 matches in that time). They haven't won a first quarter in excess of 10 points since Round 7.

Extrapolating from that useful analysis - if we’re trailing at quarter time, we’re toast?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Ground Dimensions:
MCG 160 x 141
SCG 155.5 x 136

this is accurate, basically 2 metres a side, ground size is a real misnomer dragged out every year by BF numpties about scg ( it does however not have drop in pitch so middle of ground can be dodgy depending on prev week weather)

Last edited:
I’m disappointed. We’ve lacked courage at selection. DeGoey is probably our biggest X-factor player. The guy outside the team with most X-factor is Kreuger. We should have brought him in. He would really worry the Swans defence.

And retaining all of Bytel, Long and Lipinski is so uninspired. None of them are making a meaningful contribution to team performance. And they’re all treacle-slow. I’d have gone with Parker and Harrison for pace and because they seem to make things happen.

Overall, a very underwhelming line-up in such a do-or-die match. The Swans’ players and coaches will all be happy with the side we’ve chosen.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think you’re confusing unpredictability with X factor.
A player with X factor has unpredictability combined with skill.
Kreuger has unpredictability but sadly has mediocre skills.

The Swans made light work of us on the G at the start of the year when we were poor.

In reality after a season of injury, aging legs and patchy form I'm not sure we're any better equipped this time around either.

Our best hope is that Sydney of late haven't been the Sydney we first faced and we pray that form line continues for another week.

The Swans made light work of us on the G at the start of the year when we were poor.

In reality after a season of injury, aging legs and patchy form I'm not sure we're any better equipped this time around either.

Our best hope is that Sydney of late haven't been the Sydney we first faced and we pray that form line continues for another week.

Interesting one

Sydney's current form is far worse than their form back then and I'd argue our form now is an "ok" amount better than back then.

Injury wise about the same? Give or take

So sounds like a wash to me lol

Biggest game of the year so far.

Collingwoods youngest supporter, my second Granddaughter, arrived yesterday and her older sister has only ever seen Collingwood Premierships.

Let's keep it that way.

Go Pies! :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back