Prediction Round 23, 2024: Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hall was terrible against North, but I’m drawing no conclusions so early on his future - that’s ridiculous. Young player has an off game, end of story. Backing him in to build again and be better next run. Rightly so got subbed out.

Also re: the ambush and Voss having the Blues fired up. You’d think the elimination final like implications of the Hawks game would have had the boys up and about? They are in a terrible form slump, but clearly a better side than us. We have zero to lose and hopefully give them some real cheek coming off a couple of great wins. Go Eagles! 🦅

TBH, I'm not fussed either way on the new coach.
But if we do win this weekend, it would be pretty hard to go past Schofield wouldn't it?

I'm taking into account no successful experienced coaches are available.

Beware the ambush? Your talking as if we are the team pushing for finals and they are a dogshit bottom three side.
Well everybodies getting excited about their injured players ( me too ) Saad and Curnow kill us; but if Voss is any sort of coach he will change things up.Their bottom dozen players are a lot better than our bottom dozen.Comes with the territory.
If Curnow is out I’m wrapt.I’m sick of that Kent !

I thought Hall showed a bit before the game against North. Nothing startling, but maybe there was something there. However he was putrid in Hobart. Showed zero desire or desperation and basically refused to go near an opposition player. Could have been subbed out much earlier than he was. Needs to be dropped to send a message that you cannot put in an effort like that and keep your spot.
Agree. He pulled out, or rather didn't put in at a couple of contests, the worst was that goal from the boundary they got. So could get around him being dropped on that. But equally, he is a second game player so if Schofield pulled him aside and let him know it isnt acceptable but he has a game to redeem himself then I'd be ok with that as well.

Also re: the ambush and Voss having the Blues fired up. You’d think the elimination final like implications of the Hawks game would have had the boys up and about? They are in a terrible form slump, but clearly a better side than us. We have zero to lose and hopefully give them some real cheek coming off a couple of great wins. Go Eagles! 🦅
Yep, they're a bit of a rabble at present. If the right Eagles turn up and fire up, home game crowd, we could DO the Blues! Boys would love a scalp like that. Should be a cracker game...
Re: Hall, how many games did we persist with Chesser, Hall has just started, he'll be fine.
Chesser will be reinvented or repurposed and may yet surprise?

Look at the way the interim coach has moved the magnets and the early results achieved, then pan out to another preseason with all those boys (Chesser, Hall etc) add some newbies, a new improved game plan with added horsepower and deeper cleansing action for a brighter cleaner future and all will fall into place....here's hoping. ((;

Last edited:
I think chicken out is the incorrect way to describe it. Watch him in the wafl as an inside mid and he attacks it very hard.

He has the same issue as Chesser in that role that he gets stuck in two minds about winning the ball and holding his structural position. Indecisive.
When you are within 2-3m of the ball or the oppo with the ball, you dont worry about keeping your width or structual position. Once you are in the play you get the ball or tackle. He had some forgettable moments on Saturday when he was in the thick of it so dont go blaming the gimp wing for it.
He is a very young and inexperienced player. Im not going to hang him out for it and happy to call it a learning experience but blaming his position or role for non-efforts is a cop out.

When you are within 2-3m of the ball or the oppo with the ball, you dont worry about keeping your width or structual position. Once you are in the play you get the ball or tackle. He had some forgettable moments on Saturday when he was in the thick of it so dont go blaming the gimp wing for it.
He is a very young and inexperienced player. Im not going to hang him out for it and happy to call it a learning experience but blaming his position or role for non-efforts is a cop out.
Hes not used to the wing. If he had in his head that he had to hold his width because thats what he got told to do as a winger then maybe he's just overthinking what he's meant to do.

He's being played out of position just to get him in the side.
I wouldnt draw any conclusions about his commitment to contest from anything so far

Width?structure? WTF? It’s football and the object is to get your hands on it.
I was disappointed in his hesitation as he is always described as a hard running tough mid.I haven’t seen anything of him in WAFL but liked bits last week.Yes I’m sure he and coaches will work through it. I hope so.
By the same token watching kids coming through I’ve always had the opinion that you just need to see a couple of little things to know that he’s got “it”.
Does seeing the opposite mean the opposite? Rotham showed some bad traits and I don’t think he’s ever lost them.
As a diehard WC supporter I hope that was an aberration due to “width;structure” and that he forges a great career with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not really a cop out. We have seen in from virtually every player playing that role.

Not all the moments can be put down to that but it’s not a coincidence our wingers suddenly decide they can’t attack every contest properly.

Chickened out is the way to describe saturdays game. Did you even watch it?
I’ve watched him all year in the wafl for the eagles and for Peel last year and have seen enough to know it’s not a matter of courage.

You have watched him for 60 minutes this year and have questioned his courage which is pretty lame.

Width?structure? WTF? It’s football and the object is to get your hands on it.
I was disappointed in his hesitation as he is always described as a hard running tough mid.I haven’t seen anything of him in WAFL but liked bits last week.Yes I’m sure he and coaches will work through it. I hope so.
By the same token watching kids coming through I’ve always had the opinion that you just need to see a couple of little things to know that he’s got “it”.
Does seeing the opposite mean the opposite? Rotham showed some bad traits and I don’t think he’s ever lost them.
As a diehard WC supporter I hope that was an aberration due to “width;structure” and that he forges a great career with us.
Wingers are told to do certain things.
If he'd been a winger all his life then he wouldn't have to think about it much and he'd know when to go in and when to hold width.
Hes an inside mid who doesn't know the role that we'll, so he has to think every step of the way.

It's just how it is when learning a something new.

It's not just "see ball get ball", this isnt auskick mate. That's just how the wing is played.

It’s not really a cop out. We have seen in from virtually every player playing that role.

Not all the moments can be put down to that but it’s not a coincidence our wingers suddenly decide they can’t attack every contest properly.
I dont doubt that role has resulted in other players (Chess, Ledwards, etc.) having low production numbers and generally being fairly ineffective. But that hasnt been the criticism on his performance. The criticism was that there were several instances where he was around the ball and either didn't attack it or stood by and watched his opposite number stroll past him. I get that thre may be some indecision on whether to get involved in a contest or hold position when you are 10-15m from it, but when you are in your defensive 50m and a North player is within spitting distance from you with ball in hand, there is no decision to make- you commit to stopping him. So putting those poor efforts down to his role is a cop out IMO.

To clarify, I don't think he is a shirk, I think he just had a game to forget and if given the opportunity, will show what he has.

I’ve watched him all year in the wafl for the eagles and for Peel last year and have seen enough to know it’s not a matter of courage.

You have watched him for 60 minutes this year and have questioned his courage which is pretty lame.
As i said my commentary is not on previous games but the game against north melbourne. This is not hard to work out.

Reckon Reid might have a niggle or two and may have a rest potentially? Only attended 9 CBA's whereas had over 20 in each of the previous two games

Out: Reid (inj) , Cripps (inj)

In: Petch, Edwards

Reckon Reid might have a niggle or two and may have a rest potentially? Only attended 9 CBA's whereas had over 20 in each of the previous two games

Out: Reid (inj) , Cripps (inj)

In: Petch, Edwards

Spent a fair bit of time on the bench and forward in the final term with some sort of leg injury.

Wingers are told to do certain things.
If he'd been a winger all his life then he wouldn't have to think about it much and he'd know when to go in and when to hold width.
Hes an inside mid who doesn't know the role that we'll, so he has to think every step of the way.

It's just how it is when learning a something new.

It's not just "see ball get ball", this isnt auskick mate. That's just how the wing is played.
When an opponent is a couple of metres away with ball in hand I cannot see a universe ( Auskick included) where you stand and watch.Sorry mate, footy may be becoming a chess match but you can’t move pieces without possession, and you can’t let your opponent make multiple moves without disrupting his patterns.

As i said my commentary is not on previous games but the game against north melbourne. This is not hard to work out.
Fair enough if you have never watched him before. As long as you recognise you don’t really know what you are talking about hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back