Prediction Round 23, 2024: Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont doubt that role has resulted in other players (Chess, Ledwards, etc.) having low production numbers and generally being fairly ineffective. But that hasnt been the criticism on his performance. The criticism was that there were several instances where he was around the ball and either didn't attack it or stood by and watched his opposite number stroll past him. I get that thre may be some indecision on whether to get involved in a contest or hold position when you are 10-15m from it, but when you are in your defensive 50m and a North player is within spitting distance from you with ball in hand, there is no decision to make- you commit to stopping him. So putting those poor efforts down to his role is a cop out IMO.

To clarify, I don't think he is a shirk, I think he just had a game to forget and if given the opportunity, will show what he has.
No you are not listening to what I’m saying. I’m saying all the players that have played that role have been criticised for the exact same thing you are saying.

It’s no coincidence that all of these guys attack the ball hard as inside mids in the wafl but suddenly look indecisive in the structural wing role. If you have ever played that role before you would know it gets drummed into your brain to not overcommit. Our wings have played like this for half a decade. Ginbey even played that way when he was on the wing.

Looking forward to cheering Gaffy this Sunday, Lord knows we need to find his replacement desperately (a naturally prolific ball racking wingman).

Looks to be a sellout, as only the odd individual ticket is popping up here and there on Ticketmaster, as members who can’t go put them up. Was thinking to bring the kids but not looking doable this time.

There better be a huge loud crowd there then!!

Geez doubts on Mckay now. Boo hoo poor Carlton.
Absolutely no sympathy.
Didn’t stop those pricks feasting on us when we were on the bones of our arse!
I hope we crush them and with it , crush their finals hopes.
The Vicco "Big 4"

1723438431247.png

Don't ya just hate to see it?

No you are not listening to what I’m saying. I’m saying all the players that have played that role have been criticised for the exact same thing you are saying.

It’s no coincidence that all of these guys attack the ball hard as inside mids in the wafl but suddenly look indecisive in the structural wing role. If you have ever played that role before you would know it gets drummed into your brain to not overcommit. Our wings have played like this for half a decade. Ginbey even played that way when he was on the wing.
IF that's what you are saying then from what I have seen I think you are wrong. I can't recall seeing any of those players listed do what Hall did on Saturday in a similar situation. I understand not overcommitting but that is in a different situation, not a meter or 2 off a player deep in D50 where you either do something or let through a goal- thats not even a decision to be made. They were weak efforts, no more, no less. If you want to sugar coat it by saying that was the role or the instruction or confusion about when to get involved, go for it, but its a cop out. If you cant decide in that situation that you need to put on a tackle then you should not be on a footy field regardless of what the instruction or role is.

Mckay is now on their injury list, they have quite a few of their best 22 out. Curnow is a huge out for them, he has monstered us over the last few years, there is 10 goals we don't need to worry about now. That said, P.Cripps could have 80 touches and 10 goals to get them over the line.

Surely we have to take a glimmer of hope into this game.. surely.... right??

Mckay is now on their injury list, they have quite a few of their best 22 out. Curnow is a huge out for them, he has monstered us over the last few years, there is 10 goals we don't need to worry about now. That said, P.Cripps could have 80 touches and 10 goals to get them over the line.

Surely we have to take a glimmer of hope into this game.. surely.... right??
Can picture the commentary already " The brave Blues".

I don't dare to think we'll even get close to beating the Blues after the way we've turned up this season when it's expected we might be close to a 50-50 chance, but gee I would enjoy it after the Blues cashed in a few times on us when we were banged up with injuries and struggling along.

Would be hilarious to knock them off.

season 4 showtime GIF by Billions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF that's what you are saying then from what I have seen I think you are wrong. I can't recall seeing any of those players listed do what Hall did on Saturday in a similar situation. I understand not overcommitting but that is in a different situation, not a meter or 2 off a player deep in D50 where you either do something or let through a goal- thats not even a decision to be made. They were weak efforts, no more, no less. If you want to sugar coat it by saying that was the role or the instruction or confusion about when to get involved, go for it, but it’s a cop out. If you cant decide in that situation that you need to put on a tackle then you should not be on a footy field regardless of what the instruction or role is.
I’m a Chesser supporter but Chesser has had many similar moments. LEdwards certainly has.

It’s nearly like an 18 year old who is playing out of position in his second of AFL likely isn’t going to make the correct decisions.

Ginbey playing as a mid looked indecisive, slow and reactive andwas constantly second to the ball. He's moved to the half-backline where he's more comfortable and looks a totally different player.
Think Hall will be exactly the same.
Yeah it’s pretty obvious when young players are played out of position with unnatural instructions they aren’t going to know what to do.

I don't dare to think we'll even get close to beating the Blues after the way we've turned up this season when it's expected we might be close to a 50-50 chance, but gee I would enjoy it after the Blues cashed in a few times on us when we were banged up with injuries and struggling along.

Would be hilarious to knock them off.
The reasons above is why i think we wont win...however if we cant get a win with these outs then have we really improved?

IMG20240812164011.jpg

Agree. He pulled out, or rather didn't put in at a couple of contests, the worst was that goal from the boundary they got. So could get around him being dropped on that. But equally, he is a second game player so if Schofield pulled him aside and let him know it isnt acceptable but he has a game to redeem himself then I'd be ok with that as well.
I understand your reasoning, but I thought that this year under Simpson we really lacked selection integrity. Guys were performing way under par, yet playing week in week out. A message needs to be sent that if you have a shocker and you have no body of work to cut you some slack, then you need to be dropped.

And I thought that Hall just never put in at any stage. That incident where the North guy basically looked at him and said "If you're not going to put me under any pressure whatsoever, even though I'm only a metre away, I may as well just walk around you and kick tye easiest goal I'll ever get". That was bad and I would have thought any player so badly exposed early in the game would have committed themselves to make sure their next contest was full on. But nothing changed, he looked like he didn't want to be there.

The reasons above is why i think we wont win...however if we cant get a win with these outs then have we really improved?

View attachment 2077409

I think you are over-estimating how good/consistent our team is.

We could easily get absolutely tanked by half a Carlton side with their season on the line.

St Kilda did us by 70 points only a few weeks ago and they are incredibly average.

I think you are over-estimating how good/consistent our team is.

We could easily get absolutely tanked by half a Carlton side with their season on the line.

St Kilda did us by 70 points only a few weeks ago and they are incredibly average.

Don't forget Adelaide pounding us by almost 100 points and they're in the bottom 4 with us.

I understand your reasoning, but I thought that this year under Simpson we really lacked selection integrity. Guys were performing way under par, yet playing week in week out. A message needs to be sent that if you have a shocker and you have no body of work to cut you some slack, then you need to be dropped.

And I thought that Hall just never put in at any stage. That incident where the North guy basically looked at him and said "If you're not going to put me under any pressure whatsoever, even though I'm only a metre away, I may as well just walk around you and kick tye easiest goal I'll ever get". That was bad and I would have thought any player so badly exposed early in the game would have committed themselves to make sure their next contest was full on. But nothing changed, he looked like he didn't want to be there.

The easiest goal he’s ever kicked?

Are you talking about the one that Ford just got nominated for goal of the week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back