Autopsy Round 23, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure mate.

I’ll take that as a concession …

32 goals for the year from him, 25 tackles inside 50. 50 tackles for the year.

Compare that to Liam Ryan’s 23 goals and 9 inside 50 tackles , 27 for the year from one less game..

One has a contract for the next two years and one doesn’t have a contract at all… no surprise who is who

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

I’ll take that as a concession …

32 goals for the year from him, 25 tackles inside 50. 50 tackles for the year.

Compare that to Liam Ryan’s 23 goals and 9 inside 50 tackles , 27 for the year from one less game..

One has a contract for the next two years and one doesn’t have a contract at all… no surprise who is who

Wow what a great story.

Have you noticed whenever we have equal players with our opponents at a contest - say a 2 v 2, and the opposition gets the ball, both our players will go to pressure the opponent with the ball leaving the other free to receive
I'd rate him as one of the worst players in the league. And we made him look like a million bucks today.

Made me wanna puke.
Agree agree bruz. the pressure we
apply is absolutely token. Zero intent and tactically abysmal

One thing I noticed yesterday and it's been an issue for some time is in close we harras and corral....sometimes tackle.

But what we don't do often enough is bend over, commit, put our heads over the ball and pick it up.

We seem to be too tentative and watch the opposition bend down and get the loose ball.

It's why Garcia would be a good get IMO.

We need more decent ground ball players.

Only the 2 positives for me,

I think we've found a player in HJ. Similar to Longy very handy team role based player to take over from tommy Cole down the track

H Edwards looks like he can hold his own. Makes trading out tb an easy decision
Wasn’t he playing on a guy a head shorter?

“We gave tasks to individuals and they didn’t follow.

“When you give a task to someone and they don’t execute their role, then you’re searching for other players to step up in that space that shouldn’t have to.

“That’s the accountability for that individual.

“At the end of the day, certain individuals need to take ownership of messaging and performances from that game.
The interim coach conceded there were players “playing for list spots”

I would like to see Kelly out of there as don’t think he’s a natural midfielder. Would like to see him play in the role like he did at Geelong when he played on a HFF with only stints in the midfield.
I think I'm coming around to this view.

Kelly has a lot going for him but west coast's fundamental problem is we are a dreadful clearance side - you look over the last few years and the two constants from week to week on the stats sheet are <insert oppositions best midfielder(s) name(s) here> 30+ touches, 8+ clearances - yeah we get something the other way, but it's not enough.

The other constant, of course is 'wow <insert opposition ruckman name here> had his best game for the season, dominated the clearances and gave his mids silver service.' Kelly should not be in the centre square, Bailey Williams simply shouldn't be on an AFL list. About the nicest thing you can say about him is he tries, but simply put he gets thrashed by every other starting ruckman in the competition. It's not even like he's getting beaten by experienced ruckman with great draft pedigrees, the guy utterly reaming him yesterday was a pick 50 who has played 59 games, the week before it was Xerri (55 games, off the rookie list). His contemporaries are smashing him.

Bailey strikes me as a guy who is hard worker and ripper bloke around the club so the hierarchy keep closing their eyes to the fact that he is clearly not an AFL player. Is there any ruckman in the league who hasn't had a career night against him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel free to compare the players on afl .com

You will find these stats for a start

View attachment 2084364

View attachment 2084365

View attachment 2084366

That's a whole bunch of stats that I dont really give a shit about. He had a great game against us (which I said) and is having a better season than Ryan.

If you want him in your team that's your thing, but forgive me if I don't share the same opinion as someone that won't concede that Waterman is having an outstanding season.

How’s the Carlton bloke coming on as sub, was probably bricking it before the game thinking he might come on 10 goals down or a close game.

Skips on ten goals up, no pressure , I knew he’d kick his first goal, ended up with a couple of chances, his goal was pretty sharp.

How’s the Carlton bloke coming on as sub, was probably bricking it before the game thinking he might come on 10 goals down or a close game.

Skips on ten goals up, no pressure , I knew he’d kick his first goal, ended up with a couple of chances, his goal was pretty sharp.
He dropped down a level from VFL pressure.

It could be that Bailey Williams & Tim Kelly aren’t good enough to be Ruck & midfielder. Kelly might make a useful half forward with occasional runs on the ball. They are both common denominators in several years of shite

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bailey Williams stats against Max Gawn are crazy also if you wanna look at those over last few years. Geniunely the only ruck he can beat. Its damn strange
Bailey goes full tagger mode basically from what I could tell. He should do it more often vs the more athletic rucks.

I think hed struggle to do it that well vs the bigger bodied rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back