Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't see it that way myself and it's already been covered at length on this thread.

Joes was 3 or 4 little things and a couple of missed shots off having a 10/10 game.

He went to the backline and busted his gut trying to stem the flow several times.

People expect far too much of him when the majority of the time he's a gun.
Im not talking about Joes game, im talking about that 1 incident. You can see it your way i can see it my way. All good.

Just saw Bailey get run down by Isaac Quaynor again. 2 things come to mind…
1. Charlie was ahead of Bailey. Why-oh-why didn’t he pass if forward? Surely Charlie was calling for it?
2. Bailey hit the back of his head on the ground. Lucky Bailey’s head bounced well or Quaynor could have a challenging week ahead.

on that note, thanks for sharing a pretty shit day!

We honestly need a team ban on our forwards complaining when they don’t get the ball kicked to them. Our body language needs to be so much better. Not sure why this hasn’t been coached out of them much earlier. All the small things add up and matter.
It's something where we have perpetual culprits.

Like soda misses it saps your mental energy.

Daniher only had 1 thing in mind and that was doing it himself. A clear mentality of this team.

Rubbish!

I think Joe intended to pass to Charlie but Charlie buggers it up by running straight towards the goalsquare

Unless Joe can execute an absolutely perfectly weighted pass over the Pies defender's head and hit Charlie at full stride, then Charlie is going to get gobbled up by the defender who is only a metre away from Charlie when Joe crosses the 50

Have a really good look at it.

Instead of running towards goal at full pace and running out of room, all Charlie has to do is double back towards the acre of space between full forward and CHF. Then Joe doesn't have to take that ill fated time buying bounce.

I think that is on Charlie rather than Joe. Charlie's first instinct is always to try to get over the back, even if that's not the best option

Lack of spatial awareness by Charlie IMO.

Rubbish!

I think Joe intended to pass to Charlie but Charlie buggers it up by running straight towards the goalsquare

Unless Joe can execute an absolutely perfectly weighted pass over the Pies defender's head and hit Charlie at full stride, then Charlie is going to get gobbled up by the defender who is only a metre away from Charlie when Joe crosses the 50

Instead of running towards goal at full pace and running out of room, all Charlie has to do is double back towards the acre of space between full forward and CHF. Then Joe doesn't have to take that ill fated time buying bounce.

I think that is on Charlie rather than Joe.

Totally agree.

Joe was wanting to execute a kick with 10% chance of failure rather than one with 50% chance of failure.

We dominate large portions of games for very little score board impact (except the port game). This is mostly due to a super talented but greedy forwardline. Has been a problem for years yet fagan can’t find the answers for it.

Too often we dominate for a lousy 3 goal lead sprinkled with loads of behinds and failed inside 50s that was avoid of teamwork

Cups are won by selfless footy, and particularly infront of goal

Team plays with no heart for each other

Monumental effort to get to where we are on the ladder after the start we had + the injuries. Seems like 2-3 months of playing catch-up has come back to get us.

Extremely disappointed but can't say I'm surprised with how the game panned out. Too fragile mentally and sorely missing some best 22 players.

We have played catch up. It’s caught up to everyone the last two weeks. Fresh legs need to come in. Doubt we beat Essendon.

Totally agree.

Joe was wanting to execute a kick with 10% chance of failure rather than one with 50% chance of failure.

It really annoys me how often Joe gets accused of being "selfish" when t, he's the fall guy for obvious deficiencies in the way his fellow forwards present

We have played catch up. It’s caught up to everyone the last two weeks. Fresh legs need to come in. Doubt we beat Essendon.
Yup, I said after the Sydney game, we can't keep playing on heart and adrenaline, it's going to run out. And now it has. Need to be clinical for 4qtrs, need to take our chances in front of goal and need to be better with the opposition's small forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the game and stood in the Lions' section, completely heartbroken and numb afterward. More because of how good and fun the win would have been rather than the choke, as it doesn't seem as abnormal to do these days in the AFL. But now it's setting in, the opportunity we have given up ladder-wise.

Anyway, a few points I have from my viewpoint:

• Mentality: Again, we showed that our biggest weakness is still between the ears. We had them on toast numerous times throughout the game, but became so weak when heat or big moments presented themselves. Our 1st quarter was amazing and we arguably should have been up by more. Come the 2nd quarter, they started to win a few center clearances and Naicos was getting hot, which is nothing out of the ordinary, but what was more worrying was how panicked we became in our ball use around the contest. In that 2nd term, it was an immediate bang-on-boot when we got the ball, playing right into the Pies' hands, who knew we were rattled and put a few numbers behind the ball. Ideally, you'd like this to be rectified during that quarter, but we survived.Predictably to me, halftime helped, and the message seemed to be one of more composure and use of hands moving forward through the contest. We dominated and had the game once again completely in our control. But again, we did not have the killer instinct to finish it. Rayner and Bailey's misses in that 3rd quarter can only be explained by being overawed, either by the MCG, the crowd, or the pressure... they both leaned back and showed no confidence; you could see they were not thinking clearly. Ashcroft and Kai were not as bad but may have been affected by the "we gotta kick this now after those misses" anxiety that can spread through a team in those moments.Of course, we then couldn't hold onto a good lead late, but to me, that's the definition of this season, so I won't delve too deep into that.
  • Coaching/Gameplan Hypoanalysis: This is more of an observation than a true statement, but standing legitimately dead center behind the goals the Pies were kicking to in the last quarter, I thought maybe our setup wasn't ideal to really kill that game. 100% the gameplan was to spread the field and switch. I'm not saying we shouldn't be doing that, or that it's wrong. But from what I saw, it meant we had to take risky kicks to get past that first line to enable the switch to occur or play faster, which doesn’t seem practical in a game as intense and with as much pressure as that, especially away. Not only that, but it meant if we didn’t choose to stick to that gameplan and delayed the decision-making even slightly, it would mean that when we kicked it down the line, we were outnumbered by Pies on the wing, which meant we either got out-marked, lost it at ground level, or were lucky to create a ball-up. We barely got it past halfway for so much of that period and put so much pressure on ourselves in the backline, which just created opportunities for them. The spread also meant we weren’t able to get numbers behind the ball quickly, as we'd lose it so fast and it would go straight back in.Now, I know that we are the Lions, and we have lost so many games like this before and we've all cried about how we just kick the ball down the line, get out-marked, lose the contest, and don’t take any time off the clock. So I'm not suggesting that or killing the staff, but yeah, going for this switch approach and not having the dare (understandably) to execute it in those moments definitely played into the loss tonight.

I will say though, we are the best team in it right now, we just dont have the best pathway. We have weaknesses sure, but we had won 9 in a row with so many kids, and should have actually smashed the Giants & Pies the last few weeks. We'd be 2nd & been heavy favs for the flag. Which is why this hurts.

However, finish 5th & in isolation we'd be favourites (by the odds) for almost any game outside of Swans at SCG, and we'd still be not far off either.
Elimination @ Gabba (heavy favs)
Semi vs Cats @ MCG. (slight favs)
Port/ GWS away. (50/50)
Whoever GF day (slight favs)

The bookies know this & is why we're still around the flag fav mark despite being extremely unlikely to play at the gabba post the 1st week of finals.

We've given up a golden egg opportunity but we have no one or no where that we'd fear on the day. Dont write the season off yet - we're still a big chance this year.

Rubbish!

I think that is on Charlie rather than Joe. Charlie's first instinct is always to try to get over the back, even if that's not the best option

Maybe Charlie was drawing his opponent away from Joe allowing him to run closer to goals and have a shot?

Totally agree.

Poor Joe.

Busts his gut for us. 100% TOG most weeks.

Often seen in the ruck. Occasionally on the last line of defence. Does it all, our Joe.

Kicks them as well as he can. Yeah, sometimes they go a little left. Or a lot right. But IDGAF. Take the good with the bad.

I struggle to understand the ungratefulness of some.

On an unrelated note, I am relieved to see it has remained level-headed in here, and no one has overreacted. 😊

Do you know in our big wins against the Saints, Port and Richmond we had significantly less tackles

We are a poor tackling team but we’re also first to the footy more so tend to tackle less

It would not be unexpected to have less tackles in a big win. However, tight games are a completely different story, we have not put enough pressure on the opposition in these games.

What really disappointed me most was that after last week we just watched a Groundhog Day from the beginning of the second quarter . Surely the message must have been pumped in at the quarter time break we're not going to let that happen again.
Learnings? Fagan just does not have the capacity as a coach to get four quarters out of this team with the regularity required. His inability to eradicate the Traditional In-game Nap Time is a major failing.

The players deserve most of the blame for sure but can anyone explain why we have a clear plan of trying to slow the game down immediately after we get a lead? We dominate for 30 mins and then essentially reset the game so the opposition can get back into it

Harry Sharp - for all the focus on using your weapons, I think I've seen him hit full speed on a football field once. I just dont get the appeal.

Joyce had a game to forget, but obviously can't drop him at present.
Other than the one dropped mark, I thought Joyce was serviceable and did his job. He is a relatively inexperienced player and has been thrust into a high pressure role. We don't really have any other options and we didn't lose because of him, that is for certain.

Other than the one dropped mark, I thought Joyce was serviceable and did his job. He is a relatively inexperienced player and has been thrust into a high pressure role. We don't really have any other options and we didn't lose because of him, that is for certain.
He did pretty well to be honest .

Lost it in kicking for goal. Easy ones too.

First week of Home Final against Pies or Freo might be on the cards. I don't expect Carlton to win anything from here on with their long injury list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 23, 2024 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back