Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Lethlean fired Trout and Richo, stood opposed to Ratts extension, promoted Toce, and Mission was an RTB hire. Gallager straightened our books leaving SOS with a lot of play money with.
But please continue the narrative..
Yep - definitely know he thought Ratts was a terrific guy but not an A grade coach with the nous to take us forward.

As much as I dislike him as a player. He seems to be ripper bloke, great with the kids too.
As much as people are ripping on him, he made a great observation as the Saints got their roll on.
Said Saints were moving the Cats from side to side and they couldn't go with them and a lot were starting to walk.
His observations last night were good and I think very fair.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

In the final minutes Wilkie looked sore and proppy as hell. Was screaming to get him off as we had Dougs on the bench but he stayed out there the whole time. Hope it's nothing serious but he didn't look great.

Getting a few jobs done around the house now and will have arvo free to put the replay on soon
:cool:

Stocks cops in here at times but does the job when required.

An absolute heart and soul player IMO.

The Boss gives him a job.....and he does it.
Did the same against Heeney against the Swans, positioned himself well in the centre ball.ups and stopped Geelong walking it out, also got his own ball. Can do a good job in the mids and is an invaluable utility for Lyon.
That move by Lyon was the move of the night and allowed our mids to compete and get on better than even terms.

One of my favourites to be truthful.

In the final minutes Wilkie looked sore and proppy as hell. Was screaming to get him off as we had Dougs on the bench but he stayed out there the whole time. Hope it's nothing serious but he didn't look great.

Getting a few jobs done around the house now and will have arvo free to put the replay on soon
:cool:
Cramp by the looks. Shook it off and 15 seconds later was running it out of defence.

Enjoy your week Sainters.....last night was one for the "watch the replay 10 times" file.

That replay is getting filed away in the spank bank.

Vince Mcmahon Wwe GIF

Every little tap, smother, ball bounce that went right for them in the first half, turned for us with the intensity we applied from the first whistle.

So true.
Sometimes I watch games and the other team gets the bounce of the ball time after time and I think "lucky buggers "...
But that second half is a reminder that teams mostly make their luck. It's in their own control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm coming around to Stocker.
The Carlton stain is hard for me to ignore with him and Dow.
I know it's ridiculous and unfair already.

I've decided that Stocker can do just about anything better than Paton can, and is a year younger. I don't think both will survive the end of year cull.

I never watch this show but today I did, Sunday footy show just airing in WA so might be late to the party but all the media for our match was "pointless victory" and "false hope" for next season and then talking about Geelong's top 2 hopes gone.

Same clowns would harp on about culture at a football club, and pumping up youth experience and backing yourself in. What was the alternative? Tank? They would crap on about that too. Its round 23 and a weekly show still says "yeh but the first 8 rounds". Wish they would elaborate on what performance is acceptable when you aren't eligible for finals, forfeit? What about the fans that turn up to the games, **** them right.

Better analysis on the main board of big footy, about 5 brain cells between the panel. Send it the way of the other iteration of the show - nothing of value left.

Do you know Joel Selwood?
I can’t stand Joel Selwood. Played his entire career in a top side without ever knowing struggleville. Consequently when things didn't go his way on the field he was a whinging little bitch. His ducking and playing for frees was one thing, his entitled whining when he wasn’t winning was worse. F*** him.

I never watch this show but today I did, Sunday footy show just airing in WA so might be late to the party but all the media for our match was "pointless victory" and "false hope" for next season and then talking about Geelong's top 2 hopes gone.

Same clowns would harp on about culture at a football club, and pumping up youth experience and backing yourself in. What was the alternative? Tank? They would crap on about that too. Its round 23 and a weekly show still says "yeh but the first 8 rounds". Wish they would elaborate on what performance is acceptable when you aren't eligible for finals, forfeit? What about the fans that turn up to the games, **** them right.

Better analysis on the main board of big footy, about 5 brain cells between the panel. Send it the way of the other iteration of the show - nothing of value left.
And guess who led the charge with that rubbish? The Norf Melbourne tragic, the purple-headed muppet Damian Barrett, who is as good at journalism as his sitstain club is at football.

For those who don't know the origin story of that corkhead's nickname, it has nothing to do with his explanation that he was once caught dyeing his hair purple.

The real story, from one of his colleagues at the time, was that he was the office d*ckhead, hence the description of him resembling a purple-headed penis.

Appropriate, don't you think? I just thought I'd clear that up, in case anyone was wondering.

I have some overarcing thoughts on that game, and the end of the seaosn coaching.

Firstly, attempting to win these games imo is essential for so many reasons as is the way we have played in 80% games. Minus the BL blow out and some of the game in the middle of the year I think even if we have played like crap we have kep trying in most games. Specificlly the second half of the year though, we have really tried to just compete untill the end, PA, BL etc etc.

Learning to be competetive and knowing how to win, especially against quality sides is what builds beleif in young groups.

Ie Pou against Sydney
Windy against Pies,
Owens last year,
Wilson vs Geelong
Garcia vs Geelong.

Each one of these under Ross is a massive deal imo. Especially at the end of the year. DW about the picks. Toce showed you don't need the top top picks.

Dalrympal will do what he can but a base of
Naz,
Pou,
Owens,
Sharman,
Wilson
Windy
is not only talented but ultra competitive, similar to all the Swans youngsters who come through. ParticularlyWindy and Pou are super competitors.

I just see the value in guys like Garcia and Wilson playing in a win like that instead of being uncompetitive.

On Coops, although I think him playing all over the shop negatively effected his breakout or delayed it, I think that playing on the wing/defence has really given him some valuable tricks that will come in handy. His ability get back in defence and use his leap and skill is invaluable. Another rookie pick.

In a very eve year losing too many close games hurt us but we are not that far off.
Add in Max and replace Battle and we are much much better placed.
We are still the second best defensive team. Remember that. We backed it up after last year. That is not done by accident.

Going forward to next year.

I want to see Keeler play next week give him a taste he could be the missing piece to take Ro to the next level.
Owens needs to be developed purely as a mid, maybe needs to slim down.
Clark needs to be injury free and play 75% game time.
Arie needs to replace Battle
Wilson to move inside, adds some much needs pace.
Cooper needs to start next to Max next year,
Garcia to have the Pou treatment.
Henry, Re Clark

Webster Howard Clark
Sinclair Wilkie Naz
Wood Windhager Wilson
Owens Sharman Higgins
Butler King Henry
Marshal Steele Pou

Hill Keeler Byrnes Dow/Hugo /Skunk
Great post.
But you forgot Hastie 😉
And Stocker, who I think can offer a lot to the team. Also competitive as anything.

I think it made it easier for the players to spot each other up.
Made it way easier to pick out our players on tv as well.
It’s quite an aggressive looking jumper with those big bold red and black panels.
Still prefer home and candy stripe, but there’s something about it.
And the Stickman is a lighthearted touch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back