Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Outstanding 2nd half. The character and effort to keep pushing ourselves despite the season being long over is going to set us up for good things moving forward.

Want to give a shout out to Jones. His turn around in form since coming back in has been incredible. This is the midfielder we thought we were getting from Sydney. I dont know if he will get another contract but he's given himself every opportunity to continue his career.

Outstanding 2nd half. The character and effort to keep pushing ourselves despite the season being long over is going to set us up for good things moving forward.

Want to give a shout out to Jones. His turn around in form since coming back in has been incredible. This is the midfielder we thought we were getting from Sydney. I dont know if he will get another contract but he's given himself every opportunity to continue his career.
The key thing we need to look at over the off-season is how do we bring this form into the beginning of the year? On our day we are good enough to beat many of the sides in the comp, this season has been really disappointing in that it has been over since about half way through the year. Like you say, to their credit they've been able to find ways to keep improving. But we need to ensure we are in it next year and fighting for a top eight spot again.

A month ago we were saying he and Membrey were gone.
Now? Who knows?

The key thing we need to look at over the off-season is how do we bring this form into the beginning of the year? On our day we are good enough to beat many of the sides in the comp, this season has been really disappointing in that it has been over since about half way through the year. Like you say, to their credit they've been able to find ways to keep improving. But we need to ensure we are in it next year and fighting for a top eight spot again.
We also need to look at how we start games.
Can't keep starting 10 to 20 minutes after the opposition.

No offence to Josh Battle but if he's worth $900k then Cal Wilkiie is a $2M a year player.

This is the most stone cold fact I have read on this forum.

Needs to be a frame of reference for any discussion of Battle staying or going and people moaning about not offering him more money to stay.

In the final minutes Wilkie looked sore and proppy as hell. Was screaming to get him off as we had Dougs on the bench but he stayed out there the whole time. Hope it's nothing serious but he didn't look great.

Getting a few jobs done around the house now and will have arvo free to put the replay on soon
:cool:

Looked to be just cramp, he literally ran backwards took next possession and hoofed it to outside 50 on the wing.

We need to start next year with the confidence to go through the middle and to target multiple options up forward. If we immediately revert back to just targeting Max, we will go backwards again.

Also, would be good if the AFL could give us a more even fixture next year. It's no coincidence we've found form after finally getting a string of games at our home ground.

I can’t stand Joel Selwood. Played his entire career in a top side without ever knowing struggleville. Consequently when things didn't go his way on the field he was a whinging little bitch. His ducking and playing for frees was one thing, his entitled whining when he wasn’t winning was worse. F*** him.
So all the above makes him a prick?

With Caminiti out for the last game of the year, could someone like Keeler get a sneaky debut if he kicks a bag tomorrow in the VFL?

None of the talls did much, well, except for Campbell as always.
Keeler was quite poor.
On form, l'd go Campbell for Caminiti & Hall for Hill, that's if they are both out with injury.

I'm Just watching the Kayo Mini repeat, great to watch, not great to listen to with Luke Darcy's screeching commentary though.

At least Joel Selwood didn't say much in the second half, maybe they just edited his bits out, he featured more in the first half.
How many times did Darcy say the Cats instead of meaning StKilda, whoah, early onslaught Dementia.

I have some overarcing thoughts on that game, and the end of the seaosn coaching.

Firstly, attempting to win these games imo is essential for so many reasons as is the way we have played in 80% games. Minus the BL blow out and some of the game in the middle of the year I think even if we have played like crap we have kep trying in most games. Specificlly the second half of the year though, we have really tried to just compete untill the end, PA, BL etc etc.

Learning to be competetive and knowing how to win, especially against quality sides is what builds beleif in young groups.

Ie Pou against Sydney
Windy against Pies,
Owens last year,
Wilson vs Geelong
Garcia vs Geelong.

Each one of these under Ross is a massive deal imo. Especially at the end of the year. DW about the picks. Toce showed you don't need the top top picks.

Dalrympal will do what he can but a base of
Naz,
Pou,
Owens,
Sharman,
Wilson
Windy
is not only talented but ultra competitive, similar to all the Swans youngsters who come through. ParticularlyWindy and Pou are super competitors.

I just see the value in guys like Garcia and Wilson playing in a win like that instead of being uncompetitive.

On Coops, although I think him playing all over the shop negatively effected his breakout or delayed it, I think that playing on the wing/defence has really given him some valuable tricks that will come in handy. His ability get back in defence and use his leap and skill is invaluable. Another rookie pick.

In a very eve year losing too many close games hurt us but we are not that far off.
Add in Max and replace Battle and we are much much better placed.
We are still the second best defensive team. Remember that. We backed it up after last year. That is not done by accident.

Going forward to next year.

I want to see Keeler play next week give him a taste he could be the missing piece to take Ro to the next level.
Owens needs to be developed purely as a mid, maybe needs to slim down.
Clark needs to be injury free and play 75% game time.
Arie needs to replace Battle
Wilson to move inside, adds some much needs pace.
Cooper needs to start next to Max next year,
Garcia to have the Pou treatment.
Henry, Re Clark

Webster Howard Clark
Sinclair Wilkie Naz
Wood Windhager Wilson
Owens Sharman Higgins
Butler King Henry
Marshal Steele Pou

Hill Keeler Byrnes Dow/Hugo /Skunk
Putting Clark & even Webster in the backpockets, shows to me, that we actually need to recruit those positions as well as mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously Erin Phillips was garbage around the grounds tonight.
the whole commentary team were phoning it in. Hill gets subbed in 4th after starting to have an impact, one of our players that gets better the longer the game goes, and no one questions if he's injured at all... the first thing that came to my mind was he must be injured. Ten minutes later someone gets a bright idea that maybe he has an injury, Phillips is all "truuuuee, maybe I should like, suss it out or something?? Is that in my job description?"

Morons the lot of em

the whole commentary team were phoning it in. Hill gets subbed in 4th after starting to have an impact, one of our players that gets better the longer the game goes, and no one questions if he's injured at all... the first thing that came to my mind was he must be injured. Ten minutes later someone gets a bright idea that maybe he has an injury, Phillips is all "truuuuee, maybe I should like, suss it out or something?? Is that in my job description?"

Morons the lot of em
Channel 7 commentators are just jobs for the boys and girls.

Yeah I've gotta say that completely changed my tune regarding tanking. Last night was so much better for us as a footy club than packing it in for a slightly better lottery pick at a kid in November. We should be winning every game we can to show the kids we do have how good it feels to beat teams like G**l*ng.

The question should not be not be if we should trade King, it should be how do we add king in an gain an extra three goals a game.
I would play him higher as a link up/contested mark option. Similar to how Membrey has been used lately. He has a decent field kick that should benefit our forwards and can get it in there quick and deep when we have a fast break.
I'm not sure what his endurance is like but if he builds on his fitness he will cause headaches for defenders because he is too dangerous to leave by himself.

Also Callum Wilkie might be the best player we've had in a decade

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back