Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Never despair y'all, I'll be back with my in-depth preseason training reports, the new kids, who is doing well, who is struggling etc.
Will also do a pre and post Christmas evaluation of each player.
Seriously regard it as a service to the Sainters who aren't in a position to get to training or interstate or overseas.
Coming your way this November

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Looking forward to it bull.

Do you reckon last nights win kind of proves rtb’s game plan doesn’t suit the team?
They/We all,say we haven’t got the talent to go far but maybe we have and we’re just playing the wrong game style to suit our players.
Once we unleash the beast we’re a different side as witnessed after half time last night.
We did it a few weeks ago as well.
Hopefully the coaching group takes a big lesson out of that and maybe rethinks their recruitment strategy for next year.
Or do we just get all pig headed and stick with the same old crap?
who exactly do you think had the final say on last night's game plan?

Do you reckon last nights win kind of proves rtb’s game plan doesn’t suit the team?
They/We all,say we haven’t got the talent to go far but maybe we have and we’re just playing the wrong game style to suit our players.
Once we unleash the beast we’re a different side as witnessed after half time last night.
Hopefully the coaching group takes a big lesson out of that and maybe rethinks their recruitment strategy for next year.
well rtb gane plan is to put pace on the ball. pretty sure last night was his game plan to a tee.

don't you listen to what ross says in his pressers?

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it was different colour tee shirts and they sat in panels like the jumper. It looked fantastic.

One thing I have noticed though is that our cheer squad is one of the smaller ones going around which is a shame.
I’ve always thought if we make another gf I want to get me and two others to go to the pub wearing one in red suit one in white suit one in black suit.
And we have to stay in order all day. Going to the bar together etc. Would be magnificent.

who exactly do you think had the final say on last night's game plan?
I’m putting a lot of it on the players themselves. If it’s the coaches why have they been bottling it all season?

I’ve always thought if we make another gf I want to get me and two others to go to the pub wearing one in red suit one in white suit one in black suit.
And we have to stay in order all day. Going to the bar together etc. Would be magnificent.
A guy near me in the stands last night was wearing a suit jacket with the fabric of saints logos everywhere.
One of you guys??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stocks is a ripping guy if you ever get the chance to talk to him or listen to him talk.

His story is a absolute beauty.

And his distain for the Carlton Football Club is huge.
Lack of support for his mental health issues?

I like him. I think we show him some love as a club and supporters and he’ll play his heart out for us. Still got improvement in him for more midfield time, I hope. He’s a tough guy.

I know we may have hurt our draft order, but listening to the arrogance of the cat fans tonight really made the win worth it.

Proud supporter tonight.
They were shocking in the first half.
We moved seats because of it, found some cool fellow saints supporters to sit next to in the second half, and the rest as the say was a treat🥰

Last edited:
I don't agree with this.

The coach lives and dies on the success of the team. He'll be judged clearly on a weekly basis. It's the most accountable role you could imagine regardless of bureaucrats who want him to be technically "accountable" to a Head of Footy or something.

This is the sort of thing people say to sound smart because they've only worked in big companies or government, where everyone reports to everyone and sits on committees and goes through due process and worries about stakeholder management and no-one gets anything done.

Bassat is fundamentally an entrepreneur (ignore current day Seek when publicly listed and focus on the early 00s when a startup). That's a very different space. When you're running a startup everyone's on the same page - this thing has to succeed or it dies. Reporting lines don't matter or even exist. Everyone is accountable to the market, in exactly the same way as RTB being accountable to on-field results.

There's an important concept in startups called task-relevant maturity, which came from a book by Andy Grove (ex CEO of Intel). It basically says that someone needs detailed micromanagement if they're new to a specific role, they have low TRM. In that case they should be managed by someone who's more expert on it than they are, with multiple daily checkins to keep them performing and learning, and they can only make simple decisions with time horizons of hours or days.

But as their maturity in the role grows, they need less and less of this. At medium TRM you might check in with them once every couple of days or week, and delegate to them goals and decisions with longer time horizons.

And at high TRM they're running the show themselves. The manager is there for advice but essentially the person is doing it all themselves. Agree goals up front - push them on that - and get the hell out of the way. The person lives and dies based on whether they achieve the pre-agreed goals, or whether they can defend not having done so.

RTB should be accountable to the goals the board and president set for him. He should have a structure around him to make sure that long-term thinking is still in place with list management; that he can work together with senior leaders of other functions around him; that he can defend or expain his decisions if asked; but ultimately he shouldn't have roadblocks or heavy process in his day-to-day or week-to-week or month-to-month coaching and man management.

I think Bassat gets this because he's fundamentally not a bureaucrat, and I think it's misunderstood by supporters who fundamentally are.
I hear and understand exactly what you are suggesting mate. Personally I have been self employed for 26 of the last 28 years...I live and die by the sword with no safety net... Lyon speaks a big game St. Kilda's 2nd premiership cup, it's what is sold by all accounts to any prospective oppo player targets, S. Dalrymple has been brought in, to help improve the list...they are all invested and having a crack...Last night the second half was the reason why great drugs are expensive...it was pure ectascy...without the concern of getting busted on the drive home🥰

My goodness the RTB 'game plan' talk s**ts me to tears.

In a 6,6,6 game you hand the ball going their way +10 in a half of football from centre bounce. Hog tie me with my arse pointing to the sky.

Now RoMa may have copped a little bit more of a spray than Jack Steele. I'm thinking something like " any f'ing chance you can stop that genuis ruckman Rhys Stanley from jumping over you and tapping it out to the open side eh?"

So RoMa being the beautiful AA level ruck said "Ya know what. Yeah he has being and F that".

So 3rd quarter.

Centre bounce 1 - RoMa stops, props, takes ground, wins the tap. We get first hands on ball and goal from the entry

Centre bounce 2 - RoMa stops, props, gets pinged for a block and fortunately the Geelong player kicks it down Wilkie's throat. We go up other end and goal

Centre bounce 3 - Bad bounce that favoured RoMa tap rebounded off Geelong player and we get centre clearance. Didn't score off that and ball up and down ground but we did eventually goal off running ball.out of defence.

Centre bounce 4 - RoMa stops, props. wins tap down to ground and we get the centre clearance and Wilson goals

Centre bounce 5 - RoMa stops, props, wins tap down to ground and it is halved and ump calls for a ball up.

Now I could continue but the ar*e cheeks of our onballers is now less spread. Our forwards start getting looks our backs get a rest.

I don't think I'm far off that Ross's game plan wants our onball division to play like Q3 and 4. Now he also knows that some aren't good enough and some are too young but to say his game plan is deliberately stodgy is utterly BS.

Axes to grind and all that I guess.

I couldn't talk today after singing in our Aisle 30 seats straight across the walkway from the Aisle 29 legends (reckon that makes us Aisle 29 regulars too). What a bloody great win. Saturday nights at Marvel playing like that...it was a great reminder of 03 to 12

Turn a few of those close losses into wins before the bye and suddenly we are doing a Hawthorn flying into the finals. That's the frustrating part of the past 2 months.

I am not asking to trade Max, but man I hope he is watching and analysing every single game since he's been out. We are currently a much better side without him and that's up to him to change.

Watching Dunstall and Joey chat after the game, I'd suggest Battle is likely gone. Dunstall was pretty smug and Joey had a weird smirk.

I love winning, but at half time we had pick 4 and probably 5 in our pocket. Then Rankine sees stars and we decide to play. Means we currently have pick 6 (and 7) which isn't a horrible spot but we can probably kiss goodbye to the ideal mids we need like FOS, Jagga or Draper now.

Garcia as a sub was a bit disappointing, kid deserved a full game I thought. He was working a lot with Ro in the centre at training so it did come as a surprise that he didn't start and start in the middle. Great to watch him hit Higgins then run down Holmes, redo the draft and he's a first rounder no question.

I'll go across the lines and see where I end up.

Wilkie and Doogs were great in the air, if Josh does go - Doogs is almost our most important re-signing I think.

Ro and Steele in particular were unbelievable today. Special mention to Dow, he got 14 touches @ 50%, bog average numbers but his midfield game is super important to our setup - was much better than his stats suggest. I also really liked Clark's ability to find space and Stockers toughness in the rotation too.

Membrey and Wilson were awesome tonight up forward. Tim seems to have found his sticky hands again, Wilson not just has a great engine he also has a lot of ticker. I just love Hammer, Owens and Coopers ability to halve a contest - that work ethic is a big reason why our forwardline is functio ing so well.

It's great to get a quality win against a team we all hate. Hopefully it doesn't bite us too much in what promises to be our most important offseason in years (before Tassie wrecks the draft).

Now onto next week, I feel sick that depending on results, we may have no option than to let either the Filth or the Scum into the finals. Talk about a horrible position to be put in.

Still think it was the extraordinary amount of injuries to the midfield that hurt. King just happened to be playing while we were shit not the cause of it. He’s not a pivotal piece of the club yet but you are better off developing him that cutting him. Frustrating seasons can make list management do dumb things. I was certainly ready to knife him for picks.

I don't agree with this.

The coach lives and dies on the success of the team. He'll be judged clearly on a weekly basis. It's the most accountable role you could imagine regardless of bureaucrats who want him to be technically "accountable" to a Head of Footy or something.

This is the sort of thing people say to sound smart because they've only worked in big companies or government, where everyone reports to everyone and sits on committees and goes through due process and worries about stakeholder management and no-one gets anything done.

Bassat is fundamentally an entrepreneur (ignore current day Seek when publicly listed and focus on the early 00s when a startup). That's a very different space. When you're running a startup everyone's on the same page - this thing has to succeed or it dies. Reporting lines don't matter or even exist. Everyone is accountable to the market, in exactly the same way as RTB being accountable to on-field results.

There's an important concept in startups called task-relevant maturity, which came from a book by Andy Grove (ex CEO of Intel). It basically says that someone needs detailed micromanagement if they're new to a specific role, they have low TRM. In that case they should be managed by someone who's more expert on it than they are, with multiple daily checkins to keep them performing and learning, and they can only make simple decisions with time horizons of hours or days.

But as their maturity in the role grows, they need less and less of this. At medium TRM you might check in with them once every couple of days or week, and delegate to them goals and decisions with longer time horizons.

And at high TRM they're running the show themselves. The manager is there for advice but essentially the person is doing it all themselves. Agree goals up front - push them on that - and get the hell out of the way. The person lives and dies based on whether they achieve the pre-agreed goals, or whether they can defend not having done so.

RTB should be accountable to the goals the board and president set for him. He should have a structure around him to make sure that long-term thinking is still in place with list management; that he can work together with senior leaders of other functions around him; that he can defend or expain his decisions if asked; but ultimately he shouldn't have roadblocks or heavy process in his day-to-day or week-to-week or month-to-month coaching and man management.

I think Bassat gets this because he's fundamentally not a bureaucrat, and I think it's misunderstood by supporters who fundamentally are.

Agree to a point but part of the problem with corporate people running clubs is that they don’t follow a linear path. Trying to run a club like a business is difficult

I think the second half is the game plan, but we just couldn't get the game played on our terms in the first.

FOS, Draper, Smith, Trainor, Smillie, Langford, Lalor - likely top 7. I'm pretty sure FOS & Draper won't slide which is a major bummer, hopefully someone grabs Trainor. Leaves two of Langford, Lalor & Smillie. Two potential guns there, but we could end up being the land of the midfield giants with the 2 draftees, Owens & Pou. Is that too big without enough explosive zippy mids?
Murphy Reid looks pretty good &, local?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 Review - Saints second half demolishes the Kitty Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back